Truecrypt on network

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Fontaine, Jun 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fontaine

Fontaine Registered Member

I've been using Truecrypt containers for quite some time and love it. I've never tried to encrypt a full partition or drive though.
    I have a few external drives that I want to encrypt, but wanted to try and encrypt the whole drive, instead of using a container. I know when I use a container, it mounts a virtual drive. Does it do the same if you have a full drive encrypted?
    Basically, I'd like to encrypt the full drive, but keep it assigned a drive letter, say Z:, because I have that drive mapped to other computers on my LAN. Will this work if I encrypt the full drive? or will I have to mount a virtual drive? I think I could use a container and mount it to the same drive letter each time, but if I do this with multiple containers, I'd have to make sure the same container is mounted to the same drive letter each time so when I access from another computer the drive letter will have the content I need.

Am I making sense? :doubt:

If so, can anyone provide a good approach for encrypting external drives that are shared on a network?
    Thanks!

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

I have done it.

Since we're talking Windows, here's what I did:

Encrypted the entire volume; in Windows, if you click on the volume letter, Windows tells you it is unformatted.

The drive is always connected and gets a generic letter, let's say L:

Now, in TrueCrypt, I select to automount drives on startup, and allow TrueCrypt to run on startup. So it takes this volume L: and mounts it to let's say W:.

Then, I share this drive to other machines. The only thing is, Windows forgets the shares after reboot, because the drive is unmounted, but a script solves this. Or manually, reenable share every time.

So you have 2 letters: a drive that is supposedly unformatted, and a volume container, assigned to a different letter and used by machines on the network.

Works great, both for Windows and Linux machines. Since I reboot once in a month or so, no problem with shares, plus restoring them is a piece of cake, only about 3 minutes for 500GB of data.

I won't go into Linux details, things are even simpler there.

Mrk

P.S. If you use firewire instead of usb and have a fw-enabled switch, then you can have your drive on all the time, without having to reenable the share on every reboot.

3. Fontaine

Fontaine Registered Member

Mrkvonic, thanks for the reply. I posted this then got tied up with other projects and forgot all about the thread! :eek:

The very problem I anticipated is what you mentioned: that upon system restart, I'll always have to remount the drives. You mentioned writing a script. Any clues how I would do that?

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Do you know any basic, DOS like style?
    Cheers,
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.