Truecrypt hidden OS - OS updates?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Fontaine, Jul 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fontaine

Fontaine Registered Member

Am thinking about trying to install the Truecrypt hidden OS option, just to play a bit. If I use Windows Vista, how can I install two copies of it on the same machine without the key being flagged by Microsoft? If I am running two versions from the CD that doesn't include latest updates, won't the software try to update right after installation? Basically, doesn't it violate my user agreement if I install it in two places?
    (btw, I have a laptop with linux/xp dual-booted and am thinking of using that instead, but wanted to try it on the vista machine too).
    Thanks!

2. KookyMan

KookyMan Registered Member

Since the hidden OS is a clone, from my understanding, as long as it is activated prior to making the hidden OS, it will be activated afterwords.

As for the MS EULA.... I think MS would have a hard time actually taking someone to court for damages by using the same software on the exact same machine, even twice at once, considering you aren't virtualizing (running them concurrently).

3. Fontaine

ah, so you don't have to install the OS on two separate partitions then? It just clones the existing OS onto the decoy system? If so, then one would have to start with a clean install, no?

4. KookyMan

I've not done it yet, so I'm not sure whats involved in the process.

5. Fontaine

Thanks Kookyman. I read more about it and I'm under the impression the decoy OS is nearly inoperable. i.e. you shouldn't try to use it for surfing the net, writing docs, checking mail, etc. It sounds like you have to copy the so-called sensitive looking files (i.e. decoy files) onto the decoy system during the TC setup process and then basically never use the decoy unless forced to log in to your computer by an adversary.
    Not sure how accurate the above statements are..just some preliminary research. I'm going to give it a try when I have a day to sit down and play with it.

6. KookyMan

That statement sounds completely wrong.

From my understanding you should, and are in fact encouraged, to use the Decoy OS as often as possible, using only the hidden version when necessary to work with sensitive documents. Mainly this is to compensate for timestamps, I believe.

I have not heard or read anything about having "limited" usage in decoy mode.

7. Fontaine

Don't take anything I say as being accurate; I'm still trying to figure the OS thing out with respect to Truecrypt. :D

I've been using containers for awhile and have that down pat. Will post back after I give it a whirl and see how the decoy OS works.

8. Fontaine

A quick trip to the Truecrypt site yields the following:
    Good call, Kookyman...and it makes sense (not sure what I was thinking when I gave my initial impressions).
    Eager to try it out on my main PC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.