TrueCrypt help please

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by truthseeker, Jul 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. truthseeker

truthseeker Former Poster

Is it possible for me to create a Truecrypt encrypted file, perhaps about 5 GB in size.

And then install Firefox, Thunderbird and MSN into that TrueCrypt mounted drive, and run Firefox, Thunderbird and MSN from there?

If I install Firefox, Thunderbird and MSN into the Truecrypt mounted drive, will it store all the emails, cache, cookies, MSN data in that encrypted mounted drive?

Or does Firefox, Thunderbird and MSN store personal data elsewhere on C: drive?

Thank you

2. Tadoussac

Tadoussac Registered Member

Most of what you want to do is possible, and fairly easy.

You can create a TrueCrypt container, and install the Firefox, T'Bird. and MSN executables inside the container. Of course, you'll have to mount (decrypt) the container when you want to run these programs.

Putting the Firefox and T'Bird profiles inside the container might be more difficult. By default, Mozilla installs these files in C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\.

Here's a link that discussed strategies to relocate the profile files, but I've never tried it specifically as you're thinking.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbird_:_FAQs_:_Changing_Profile_Folder_Location

Good luck!

3. ex3

ex3 Registered Member

why dont you try the portable version of Firefox/Thunderbird, iam not sure if they store profile in application data folder,

http://www.thindownload.com/
    try hear for other version of firefox.

4. gb63

gb63 Registered Member

Download the package Mozilla+Firefox_en.exe from the front page of the site referenced above ( http://www.thindownload.com/ ).
    Create a folder called Apps within the encrypted drive ( for example, if the mounted TC drive is M:, then the folder will be at M:\Apps.).
    Now create a folder within Apps called Firefox. Drag the downloaded Firefox file within it.
    Create a folder called Thinstall within the Firefox folder. It will start empty.
    Run the Firefox exe file and set everything as desired. Answer yes or agree to first-time start-up questions from Thinstall and Firefox.
    Close the browser as normal.
    Look inside the Thinstall folder. Browse thru the contents. You can use Firefox features to clear history and cache, or you can delete all the contents in the Thinstall folder ( but always leave the folder). When you delete contents, next time you run, it repeats the above questions again. Otherwise, everything is saved and retained within the Thinstall folder.

Note: Outline of above example = M:\Apps\Firefox\Mozilla+Firefox_en.exe and M:\Apps\Firefox\Thinstall

They also have Seamonkey and some other products ( all free) and you should be able to create similar folders within the Apps folder, each with a Thinstall folder as above.

5. truthseeker

Thank you, however, I found a better and easier solution.

I simply installed the portable versions of Firefox and Thunderbird, which do not need installation and will only read and write into their own folders.

http://portableapps.com/

6. truthseeker

Yes, I am now using the portable versions of FF and TB.

http://portableapps.com/

These are great as they don't need to be installed, so they never write anything to C: and not to the registry. And they only save emails and cookies etc in their own folders.

So now I can run these from my encrypted TrueCrypt mounted file.

And now nobody can access my personal Firefox bookmarks and personal emails etc :)

7. truthseeker

Thanks, looks great. I appreciate all the time and effort you put into trying to help me.

However, I am now using the portableapps website which seems better supported than Thininstall and releases more apps more often. It does what I need and wanted.

Thank you anyway.

8. testerazzi

testerazzi Registered Member

Thinstall is different from portableapps.

Thinstall is an Application Virtualization Platform, that creates virtual filestystem.

9. truthseeker

That may be the case, but my objective was to have application avoid installing or writing anything to my unencrypted C: drive, which TrueCrypt and Portableapps do.

All the Portableapps, e.g portablefirefox, portablethunderbird, never write anything to the registry or the HDD outside of its own folder.

10. truthseeker

I have read some reports that the apps from Thinistall are actually illegal. Eg. Safari etc.

Anyone else know about this?

11. gb63

gb63 Registered Member

12. truthseeker

If Thininstall was bought by VMware, why dont VMware mention it anywhere on their own website?

13. gb63

gb63 Registered Member

Go to: http://www.vmware.com/
    Look on the right for VMware ThinApp
    Go to that link.
    Please be careful when you imply that a software product might be illegal until you do some research.

14. truthseeker

Please be careful when you accuse me of implying anything. I have good lawyers that will sue for slander. Be careful gb63.

And I was referring to this website:

http://www.thindownload.com/

Notice it's a different page to the one on VMware. And on the link above, those products are free, but on VMware they are not.

So be careful gb63 the next time you falsely accuse me. Slander is a serious offense and you can be sued.

And on top of that, you are recommending a website that is giving away for free applications that are illegal.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  15. gb63

gb63 Registered Member

No one said Thinstall is free. The open products on the given site are.
    You need to lighten up, fellow. I and another poster tried to give you help. I correctly advised you the products are legal which anyone can prove with some quick research.
    In any case, please be assured I will give no further advice.

16. Fontaine

Fontaine Registered Member

Is this conversation really happening on this forum? :doubt:

17. truthseeker

Are you claiming that the Safari etc on thindownload.com are 100% legal by VMware? If so, why cannot you provide the evidence from the VMware website? Why can't you backup your claims? Instead you run as soon as the heat gets turned up for you to supply proof of your comments. This obviously means you cannot prove it, instead you run and hide.

18. Fontaine

Fontaine Registered Member

Are you insinuating that gb63 is a coward? Better watch out, he might have lawyers, and could sue you for you slander too. :rolleyes:

This thread has become another 'challenge' by you. People here are trying to help you, but you turn around and challenge them on everything they say.
    Just let it go already.

19. truthseeker

of course I challenge people to provide and to backup up their comments with accurate sources for their comments. I am not a robot who believes everything I am told, without solid sources.

So many peple these days are so easily misled, they believe anything anyone tells them , even if they have no reliable source. I'm not like that, so theres nothing wrong with challenging people for accurate and reliable sources to backup their comments.

20. testerazzi

Hi,

thinstalled softwares are legal.

Thindownload is not affiliated with thinstall, but also thindownload is legal.
    Thindownload offers free software, and opensource, in a thinstalled (virtualized) version, that is completely isolated from Windows (thinstalled software uses a sandbox, so the virtual system is isolated from the real system)

Thinstalled software never write anything outside the sandbox.

view here
    http://www.thinstall.nl/datasheets/ThinstallSuite.pdf

21. truthseeker

Thank you for your reply.

Can you provide some evidence that the programs at thindownload.com are 100% legal?

For example, they offer Safari for free. Yet as far as I know, only the engine is open source, the rest is not. So in that case, thindownload.com offer it illegally.

So any evidence from Apple that state that Safari is 100% Open Source and freely available?

Thank you.

22. testerazzi

The programs at thindownload.com are the same you can download at the official website, but they run in a virtual environment, layer of isolation.
    This is similar to an application that run in a virtual machine (such as VMware, Virtualbox, Virtualpc, Parallels...), but all the virtual system is embedded in a exe file.

The version of Safari they offer, is the same you can download at http://www.apple.com/safari/download/ (safari 3.1.2).
    Thindownload offer only a virtual system to run the application (such as Safari), they don't offer, sell, resell, or license the application.

A similar example is Browser Appliance

23. truthseeker

But it's not the 100% exact same version. It's been modified, right?

24. testerazzi

Hi

Yes, it's the same (no code modification), but it runs in a virtual environment

25. truthseeker

If theres been no code modification, then how does it know to run in a virtual environment?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.