Truecrypt Boot-loader problem

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by epicgodz, Dec 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. epicgodz

epicgodz Registered Member

Hello there! I found this forum in a google search about my problem and I couldnt find any specific answers on what I am encountering so I thought I would register and get some help from you guys/gals.

I have a alienware m14x with a dual boot ssd and hdd. On my Hdd I had truecrypt encryption on it, fully encrypted. Well I wanted to wipe the contents of the hard drive and start fresh since I was only going to be using the HDD to store large gig files as my ssd is only 240g. Well anyways long story short I formatted the hard drive through disk management in Windows 7 and when I try to boot from the hdd the TC bootloader is still coming up. I even attempted to input the password with no success. I formatted several times, slow and quick that still will not get rid of the bootloader. I looked on the FAQ on TC website and it did say that a format would wipe the TC encryption entirely but its not working for me.

HELP! Thanks :)

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Try using something like Diskwipe -http://www.diskwipe.org/- It first does a full format, and then over writes the disk totally. That should kill it.

Pete

PS Welcome to Wilders.

3. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

If you have already wiped the disk then use a simple free partition tool like Partition Wizard and format then use the rebuild the MBR command on the drive. Its point and click using Part Wiz. TC places the bootloader in the space used by a normal MBR. Some wiping tools don't touch the MBR portion of the drive. I have never used what you mentioned. What you are wanting to do is very very simple so relax.

ps - if you have the original rescue disk you can repair/replace the original MBR using that as well. Also, point and click.

4. epicgodz

I appreciate the help from both of you. I am already attempting a disk wipe as Pete mentioned and will see if that does the trick. I have seen in another thread what you were speaking of Palancar but what you are describing seems much much simpler. I will follow up with that if the disk wipe does not work.

Thanks for all your help I will reply back with my results

5. epicgodz

Ok after 5 hours of the Disk wipe it didnt work. I tried the Partition Wizard method and voila, worked like a charm.

Thanks for all the help, a tiny thorn can bring a beast to its knees.

6. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

Glad to have helped. Many wipe programs avoid that "crucial" area of the disk for fear of ruining the partition table, which would create a total nightmare for many inexperienced users. At least now you know how to simply replace/repair an MBR record. It is so simple once you know how to do it.

7. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

Glad you fixed it. Other methods:

F8 from the rescue disk and restore the original loader. You can just say you decrypted if you plan on wiping.

Or

Load up Windows recovery and go to the console and type bootrec.exe /fixmbr

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.