TRUECRYPT 7 Released

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by chiraldude, Jul 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. absolute

absolute Registered Member

hey everyone...
    look i have a very sercert file to my job and it is very important to me
    and i use a truecrypt program
    i want to asq what is the percent of penetrating or cracking this program or all the program that work on the public and privte/public keys
    wait ur aswer , it is essentiol to me
    thank u all

2. KookyMan

KookyMan Registered Member

This program has a minimal chance of being cracked, same applies to containers that are made with it. It is far more likely that someone will attempt to get your password via other means. (Cameras, social engineering, keyloggers, etc.)

3. absolute

absolute Registered Member

ok thank u very much
    i understand from u that no way for cracking it by direct way for example to reverse it's source or decrypt the data file useing some program
    the only way is that by sniffing ..etc

4. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

I gave the above setup a try on a virtual machine. The encryption went fine and the virtual XP boots fine. When I boot to my virtual BartPE (post pre-boot authentication), the C: partition does not appear formatted. I can mount it to another drive letter though from TrueCrypt traveler mode, but the auto-mount or auto-start options don't work.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  5. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

Questions:

1. Does Rollback Rx work if you install it on a true encrypted system partition?

2. Suppose I boot to a "recovery" partition or disk, mount a true encrypted system partition (say as drive Z: ), make a regular backup (not sector-by-sector) of it using ShadowProtect, Acronis, Macrium, Drive Snapshot, or similar, then can that backup be restored at a later time to the same mounted partition without problems? Will backup and restore times remain the same as for non-encrypted partitions?

6. noblelord

noblelord Registered Member

Question that I cannot find the answer to elsewhere: At the moment I am using Truecrypt for full OS encryption and I enter a password at log-on. Does Truecrypt support keyfiles stored on a USB device, so I could use this if I couldn't be arsed to type the password. And if I lost the USB stick, I could type my password instead?

Thanks.

7. chiraldude

chiraldude Registered Member

truecrypt can not load keyfiles when booting and encrypted system. Only keyboard input can be used for password.
    This is yet another reason that a more versatile boot loader is needed for truecrypt. If there were a way to boot Windows from LINUX it would be possible to boot an encrypted OS with a keyfile.

8. korben

korben Registered Member

Just noticed there's an update to v 7.0

so my Q is:

how to update portable TC?

9. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

fwiw, I tried this today on a virtual machine and it didn't work. the system gets stuck with a black screen before pre-boot authentication.

10. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

You need Admin privs. But I don't have TC installed and travelers works well.

BTW, When a new TC version comes out, can I just extract the new TC files into my TC folder?

OR, do I need to start from scratch and create a brand new 6GB container?

11. ABee

ABee Registered Member

You can usually install a new version on top of a previous one, yes.

Though you should always read the release notes for any specific dos and don'ts.

I always pull my data out of the existing volumes first anyway, just as a precaution.

12. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

1 question:;..almost know nothing about TC.
    after entering the password for a partition,how secure is that partition?
    -is it expose to regular threats?..or keeps secure in a encrypted enviroment

13. ABee

ABee Registered Member

Once a volume, partition, or drive is open (decrypted), it's just another drive/partition/file/whatever on the machine.

14. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

thanks ABee....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.