Truecrypt 5.0 Release Date Set - FEBRUARY 4th

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by LockBox, Jan 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eli997

Eli997 Registered Member

back down again for several hours, maybe they are getting ready to update with 5.0a?

2. reparsed

reparsed Registered Member

Yup. 5.0a is out!

3. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

5.0a

February 12, 2008

Improvements:

The memory requirements for the TrueCrypt Boot Loader have been reduced by 18 KB (eighteen kilobytes). As a result of this improvement, the following problem will no longer occur on most of the affected computers: The memory requirements of the TrueCrypt Boot Loader 5.0 prevented users of some computers from encrypting system partitions/drives (when performing the system encryption pretest, the TrueCrypt Boot Loader displayed the following error message: Insufficient memory for encryption).

Bug fixes:

On computers equipped with certain brands of audio cards, when performing the system encryption pretest or when the system partition/drive is encrypted, the sound card drivers failed to load. This will no longer occur. (Windows Vista/XP/2003)

It is possible to access mounted TrueCrypt volumes over a network. (Windows)

TrueCrypt Rescue Disks created by the previous version could not be booted on some computers. This will no longer occur. (Windows Vista/XP/2003)

Note: If your TrueCrypt Rescue Disk created by TrueCrypt 5.0 cannot be booted on your computer, please upgrade to this version of TrueCrypt and then create a new TrueCrypt Rescue Disk (select 'System' > 'Create Rescue Disk').

Many other minor bug fixes. (Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux)

http://www.truecrypt.org/downloads.php

4. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

Yes so good that the programmers are oh so quick at fixing a problem with hard core programming, yet cant impliment antispam on their site that lets people actually sign up and post..

5. isujosh

isujosh Registered Member

doesn't look like 5.0a resolves the multiple/extended partitions issue unfortunately :(

6. KookyMan

KookyMan Registered Member

Yea. I'm confused by their Known Issues page myself, as it reads:

• [Note: The following issue does not affect TrueCrypt 5.0a or any later versions.] If you encrypt an entire system drive that contains extended partitions using TrueCrypt 5.0, the extended partitions become inaccessible. However, note that the data stored on the partitions are not lost (they are only encrypted). To make the partitions accessible again, please decrypt the entire drive (from the menu bar of the main TrueCrypt window, select System > Permanently Decrypt System Partition/Drive) and then restart the computer.
    • TrueCrypt currently does not support encrypting an entire system drive that contains extended (logical) partitions. You can encrypt an entire system drive provided that it contains only primary partitions. Extended (logical) partitions must not be created on any system drive that is partially or fully encrypted (only primary partitions may be created on it). Note: If you need to encrypt an entire drive containing extended partitions, you can encrypt only the system partition and create partition-hosted TrueCrypt volumes within any non-system partitions on the drive.

Either I'm reading to deeply or confusing myself, but if the first is fixed, how is the second not?

7. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

I receive stop 7E BSOD (check for virus) after trying to encrypt the whole harddisk or C:\. Then later you can start windows after using last known good and also see the Bootmenu of Truecrypt but doesn´t encrypt. TC gives you possibility to try again but in all cases TC5 and TC5a fail. Probably because stack <unknown> 0x1 slipped into Truecrypt.exe.

8. KookyMan

Hmm, I haven't heard of that BSOD yet on the TC forums. Do you have MBR Write Protection enabled in your BIOS?

9. isujosh

isujosh Registered Member

I think I encrypted the whole drive (system partition and extended ones) - which doesn't work.

What I think they're saying is you can encrypt either the system partition on its own - and then create Truecrypt volumes on the extended partitions OR encrypt the whole drive provided it's only made up of primary partitions.

Better if they allow you to encrypt the whole caboodle (primary partition, extended partitions and all) but I guess I'll just have to be patient.........

10. KookyMan

Aye. I'm being very patient myself, as I only want to encrypt my laptop at this time, but can't afford to do so until TC supports Hibernation.
    The one thing I will definitely have in place is a backup of my hard drive before I do anything.

11. SystemJunkie

@KooKy: http://i28.tinypic.com/15i9au8.jpg

F79... is likely the address of ndistapi.sys.

I don´t have such a feature.

Beside how to remove TC bootscreen? I already uninstalled TC but bootscreen remained.

12. KookyMan

Try using the Rescue CD and replacing the original bootloader from the tools menu.

13. SystemJunkie

Truecrypt 5 rated as unsafe as well as bitlocker and apple encryption: http://www.golem.de/0802/57886.html
    Link is in german but there is a youtube video where you can check their technique!

14. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

It's not like these programs couldn't just overwrite their allocated memory with trash when dismounting their volumes rendering password recovery totally useless...

15. chuckfrasher

chuckfrasher Registered Member

If the encrypted file has not been opened for a while, is this still a problem? Or is this just for files that were opened during a particular session before shut down? Is there some kind of product that will overwrite or clear RAM on demand?

16. dantz

dantz Registered Member

TrueCrypt already secure-erases both the password (if cached in memory, which is optional) and the keyfile when a volume is dismounted.

The vulnerability mainly refers to computers that are stolen or otherwise appropriated while an encrpted volume is still mounted, but in a suspended or standby state. This would be more likely to occur when WDE (whole disk encryption) is in use, since the user normally does not dismount the encrypted volume until he shuts down the computer.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  17. SystemJunkie

Yes but thats the most important reason why someone would use tc5. Whole disc encryption sounds like a dream that never really becomes true in terms of 100% security.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.