Truecrypt 5.0 PROBLEMS AND ISSUES

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by TECHWG, Feb 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. And

And Registered Member

Thank you for the suggestion. I tried to encrypt again with the 3-pass wipe mode enabled, but unfortunately the encryption process halted at the same spot. I don't have Linux installed but I will try to find a live CD so I can execute the commands that you suggested.

I'm glad that I found an old CD-RW disc laying around, otherwise I would be out of blank disk by now ;-)

2. Roidhun

Roidhun Registered Member

My experience with TC5 and system encryption:

System HP ZE2345EA laptop. 80 GB harddisk in one NTFS partition. Win XP fully updated.

First attempt: On encryption CRC error at about 85%. WDLifeGuard found a bad sector, said it was correctable and corrected it.
    This was followed by a full decrypt and restore of original bootloader via TC Rescue Disk.

Second attempt: After selecting system encryption, prechecking and rebooting, I got the black screen.
    Booted into Safe Mode and encryption ran to completion.
    The system is now bootable in Safe Mode (fully encrypted), but not in normal mode - still black screen. I strongly suspect that the ATI drivers interfere with TC, (they have a tendency to interfere with almost everything), but I have not yet got as far as making a clean boot work so I can test it.

3. Joseph_N

Joseph_N Registered Member

Very, very helpful information. Sorry you had to go through all that.

I was thinking that we might be going at this wrong. Instead of trying to make TC5 work with the TVT CSS or an HDD password, maybe we no longer need the TVT security devices. The IBM preboot primary partition would still be necessary, because it houses the TVT Rescue and Recovery workspace, but perhaps the TVT Client Security Solution apparatus can be disabled and the HDD and/or power-on passwords no longer need to be used. The only downside I can see is that TC5 is not hooked into the TPM chip, but I'm not sure that would really matter.

What do you think?

4. isujosh

isujosh Registered Member

My experience is not a happy one....

Windows XP SP2

Downloaded and installed TrueCrypt 5.0 (I've used 4.3a for ages without any issues)

Encrypted the System Drive/Partition and this went without a hitch. However the extended partitions I had on the same physical drive are now marked as 'Free Space' - this had all my data on it (which I had backed up before I started).

I'm am now going to decrypt the partition and uninstall 5.0 until someone sorts this major issue out. very disappointed.

5. reparsed

reparsed Registered Member

I have TC5 set up with an encrypted system drive. Partition 0 is a primary partition with XP installed. Partition 1 (not encrypted) is also a primary partition for data/documents. Everything works as expected.

6. JamieHolloway

JamieHolloway Registered Member

Did you select the "Encrypt the Windows system partition" option, or the "Encrypt the whole drive" option?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2008
  7. Roidhun

Roidhun Registered Member

This is a listed issue on the TC website...

8. isujosh

isujosh Registered Member

9. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

For those who have not registered at the truecrypt forum and don't plan to do so, this is what was posted :

"If you encrypt an entire system drive that contains extended partitions, the extended partitions become inaccessible. However, note that the data stored on the partitions are not lost (they are only encrypted). To make the partitions accessible again, please decrypt the entire drive (from the menu bar of the main TrueCrypt window, select System > Permanently Decrypt System Partition/Drive) and then restart the computer. This issue will be addressed in the next version of TrueCrypt."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.