True Sword any good?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by TheMozart, Mar 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

2. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

3. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

true sword :thumbd:.....

4. Steven Avery

Steven Avery Registered Member

Hi,

None of that is very convincing (and some of it is green, like McAfee). I tend to doubt that the software is strong, and they sort of acknowledge that they had problems some years ago.

Some WOT folks reported quick responses to email customer service queries "malware" .. that were not correct .. however I am not sure if that is still a problem. Also they have a separate registry cleaner product and an emphasis on affiliate marketing, both warnings. And one WOT thread pointed out the junk in the Registry Cleaner, like claiming many errors on a new install. I can see that as a deal-breaker, since it is their own product.

Right now I have a curious situation where I get a white screen on their website (e.g. securitystronghold.com and sub-links .. I may hit this occasionally elsewhere) and Chrome gives "Oops! This link appears to be broken." yet shows the cache. This is not Web of Trust, so I am trying to see if I have a security app doing stuff unclear. (Avira and Online Armor being main apps.) Hmmm.. I do not appreciate white screens for reasons unknown, at least WOT is clear about what it is doing even when wrong.

(Ok..this turned out to be the hosts file. I unenabled using Hostsman. Is there a way to override other than removing an entry or disabling the whole file ? .. some good sites were being blocked. I'll look for a hosts control that has a Firefox extension.)

Proxify called it a "premium site" so in the meantime I look at the site in vblocker or proxy.org.

Yep, I am skeptical of the software and have little interest, but I think it is helpful to really know the current status. Is True Shield a legit product, will it pull stunts ? Stuff like that. A developer, Konstantin Artemev had some give-and-take with Spybot around 2009 around the false positive and rogue issues.

Steven

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  5. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

6. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

I would suggest to anyone that is thinking of downloading True Sword (or anything from Security Stronghold for that matter) to proceed with caution.
    Have a back up plan in place and do a little research on them beforehand, a search on this forum would be a good starting point (there will be other software from them in your search which is also worth reading) with either "True Sword" or "Security Stronghold" would bring up some interesting reading.
    Personally I would not touch anything from them with a ten foot pole. (or an eleven foot pole for that matter)
    Once a whore always a........wait a minute, I mean once a Rouge always a.......well you know what I mean.
    Just a friendly warning.

7. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

I haven't found anything useful on GOTD in years so I'm not surprised that they would offer something like True Sword for free. It would make more sense if they offered legit products for a good discount or a limited amount of software downloads. I doubt Symantec or Check Point would give out unlimited licenses out for a base fee or donate some licensees on that site.

Most antivirus/anti-spyware software products protect us from a good variety of threats these days. I would trust them more than an unknown standalone product like True Sword. TS would be more popular like over ten years ago when antivirus products didn't protect us from spyware and trojans like they do now.

8. Noob

Noob Registered Member

So true, but we have to take into consideration it is kinda hard to get promos from vendors let alone free subscriptions! :D

9. Steven Avery

Hi Folks,

Let's be fair to GOTD, which has had VueMinder Calendar Pro, Anvir Task Manager, DiskAnalyzer Pro, Crave World Clock, Mamutu, Neopaint, XYplorer, Easeus Partition Pro, Robotask, WinIso, Zentimo, Process Lasso and dozens of good programs.

And sometimes they have a disaster, or real dubious, like today, but generally the quality is ok. Putting aside the ads for scareware products on their site (which is common in many sites that are otherwise ok).

It is easy enough to read the comments and make a sensible decision about the download. Granted, in many cases I would prefer to buy the same product at Bits Du Jour with a discount, for the individual serial # and the better vendor relationship, but the two methods are in some ways complementary.

Steven

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  10. acr1965

Being fair to giveawayoftheday.com is calling them exactly what they are - and that's a sleazy web site. Regardless of the rogue products they promote, they also operate in a sleazy way which just shows that their promotion of rogue products is not by accident.

11. Steven Avery

Hi Folks,

And I will surprise myself by defending them a bit more.

Why ? Some of the most interesting discussions of software products takes place there. Including lists with links to superior and alternative products, freeware or shareware. The comments are often, quite properly, very critical, the participants savaging the product. (And sometimes unfairly, too.). I probably average one download every few weeks, including some of those listed above. (And afaik there is no opt-out ever needed in the installation.)

Yep, there are the occasional sleaze products. There is some moderation of comments, but very little, GOTD and the software can be shredded if the product is like today. This openness of communication mitigates many of the problems. They have a post linking to this thread.

Some people trash their systems by too many installs of dubious products, especially registry cleaners, occasionally settings programs. However, the warning level on GOTD against scamware and trashware is quite high. Caveat emptor (let the downloader beware.)

Remember, I was responding to a post that said that they never had worthwhile software, nothing useful. And that is simply wrong, they have a number of the better products participating.

And I fully understand a principled position of not having anything to do with them. I tip my hat to you, if you take that stance, and if I have a hat. Especially since there are the Uniblue type ads. Or, on the other hand, I can also see trying to use them to learn about the software, to help out, and the occasional download. Even Bits Du Jour has some difficulties. Not every web site is like Wilders and Donationcoder (very high integrity quotient, ad-free, etc).

Steven

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  12. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I Agree Steven and I got Paragon COMPACT Edition for free from GOTD and I love it.

13. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

you may have a liking for GOTD.....but you sure wouldn't find any for security stronghold.....

14. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

I also agree with Stevan, I got many useful softwares from GAOTD that I still use. Yes they need to moderate the products they sometimes giveaway.
    I think if they become giveawayoftheweek the frequency of good products will increase.

15. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

+1.......also discountoftheday would be nice.....:D

16. acr1965

17. clubhouse

clubhouse Registered Member

GOTD does have some good 'freebies' from time to time.....The last I downloaded from them was Ad-Muncher with a one year licence...I always 'google' any software that looks interesting but is unknown to me first...And I ALWAYS search it here on Wilders.....A lot I wouldn't touch as a result, but its idiotic to condemn GOTD completely....If I had took on some of the negative comments here I would have lost a few 'good' freebies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.