True Image Failing to Detect Disk

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Needshelpbadly, Mar 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello frankb_c,

Thank you for your investigation. I will forward it to our Development Team and hope the fix will be implemented soon. I will certainly let everyone know the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

2. no name

no name Guest

I encountered the identical problem with Acronis 7.0 Disc clone would proceed normally until I received error message saying Acronis could not find usb destination disc. By disabling the auto start feature of Norton 05 I was able to get a complete clone.

3. Dunky69gla

Dunky69gla Guest

I was having the same problem, True Image failing to recognise the usb disk. Following the advice of a previous entry I tried disabling my antivirus (Symantec Antivirus V9), then stepped through the manual cloning process. This seems to have solved the problem, the process ran in about an hour for a 60Gig disk and I'm working off the new disk now.

Hope this helps.

4. frankb_c

frankb_c Registered Member

I have ZoneAlarm version:5.5.062.011, along with E-Trust AntiVirus ver. 7.0.1.4
    which I had disabled (shut Down) before trying the Cloning.
    Tried this both ways.... disabling... and leaving as is.

Question:
    As the OS (Operating System"WinXP") is rebooting at the Behest of TI(Build800).

1.Is TI controlling these features? To prevent them ZA/E_trust from being activated?

2.Do these programs have any effect in the cloning procedures choices?
    (Going through the menus of setting up the HD (from/to) up to the rebooting request)

Perhaps by process of illimination... we may come to firm solution.

5. iflyprivate

iflyprivate Registered Member

I have a Dell Inspiron 5160 laptop running XP Pro and an external USB 2.0 hard drive connected through a CyberPower USB 2.0 hub which also has a Dell USB external keyboard and a Dell optical mouse connected to it.

Cloning is impossible for me because the ERROR: DISK NOT FOUND message kills the cloning process after the Acronis-initiated reboot.

Build 796 and 800 both failed no matter what I did or how many times I did it.

Well, last night, I reinstalled build 800 and disconnected all USB devices and the hub. I connected only the external USB hard drive to my laptop and it cloned successfully.

My conclusion: TrueImage 8 cannot clone to an external USB hard drive which is connected through a hub. The external hard drive must be connected directly to the computer's USB port. (I use an external AC adaptor for my USB enclosure).

At least this holds true for my system. Can anyone else comment on whether they can clone when they connect their external drive directly to the computer USB port with nothing else attached?

6. franb_c

franb_c Guest

I tried it with the ext HD connected direct to front USB port on the case.
    Same results. "Error: Disk not Found"

Later on, I will try-out ... your way. Have to dive under desk for....
    Disconnecting Scanner, Printer, Camera, logitech, etc.... leaving only the Ext. HD.
    I doubt that this should have effect... as USB 2.0 is supposed to be chainable.
    But... have to try to prove it out. Thanks.
    Anyone else trying?

7. Acronis Support

Hello franb_c,

Our Development Team is investigating the problem and are making progress on this. We expect the fix to be implemented very soon.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

8. iflyprivate

iflyprivate Registered Member

Here's an update to my experience trying to clone the internal hard drive and getting the error "ERROR-DISK NOT FOUND" after the Acronis-initiated reboot during cloning:

Setup: Dell laptop, XP Pro, 40GB internal hard drive, external Dell USB keyboard and optical mouse, hp printer all connected to a CyberPower USB 2.0 hub which is plugged into the laptop. External 60GB USB 2.0 hard drive (CompUSA 2.5" enclosure) is also connected to the USB hub. Using TrueImage 8 build 796 or 800 - no difference in my tests.

Results: Cloning under Windows always fails after the Acronis reboot with the above error message.

Workaround: Boot from the Acronis TrueImage Rescue CD (full) and then clone the internal hard drive to the external USB drive with no problems. This always works for me.

To clone from within Windows, I must unplug the USB 2.0 hub and plug the external USB hard drive directly into the laptop. Cloning works most of the time.

Using the TI boot CD is the most reliable method I have found for cloning so far. I thought I'd pass that along for what it's worth.

9. pczar

pczar Guest

Re: True Image Failing to Detect Disk - changed from SP1 to SP2

Hi,

I used two 40GB external drives for disk cloning with my Toshiba Satellite 6100 Pro laptop, running Windows XP Pro and SP1 pack.
    The cloning of 40Gb hard drive to another 40Gb external drives was achieved everytime without any problem.
    Recently I upgarded to the new Fujitsu N6010 laptop running Windows XP Home with SP2 pack and since my upgrade I cannot clone my new 80GB Fujitsu HD to the external WD 80Gb drives. The new drives are in same enclosure as the old one.
    Is it Windows SP2 pack causing the problem?
    It might be but I will wait for Acronis Support to establish the real reason for our problems which I have to admit is frustrating.

Cheers
    Paul

10. Limerick

Limerick Registered Member

Hello Ilya,

No more good news from March 23rd ?

And by the way, is there any kind of improvement to this problem, which bob talked about, here a while ago ?

Thanks for your help,

11. eeh42

eeh42 Registered Member

Hey iflyprivate,
    That workaround worked for me as well.

I had the same problem when trying to clone to an external USB drive. I'd get, Error, disk not found.
    But if I booted from the recovery disk and then choose clone TI proceeds without a reboot and clones to my external USB drive with no problem.

I don't know what the issue is but this workaround works for me.

Thanks,
    eeh

12. eeh42

eeh42 Registered Member

For everyone who's having problem with the:
    Error-Disk Not Found
    issue while trying to clone to an external USB HD, Iflyprivate's workaround is the way to go.
    Use TI to create your Bootable Recovery CD.
    Boot from the recovery CD.
    Then on the TI screen choose clone and proceed as normal.
    The only difference is, TI won't re-boot it will start the clone process immediately.

When done, I replaced my notebook 4200rpm drive with a 7200rpm.
    Rebooted with the Recovery CD and choose clone again, except this time I cloned the USB HD to the new 7200rpm drive in the notebook.

Worked fantastic, quick and simple. The way I would have expected it to work, WITHOUT the workaround!!

Thank "Iflyprivate" you saved me a lot of frustration.

13. Acronis Support

Hello Limerick,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

The fix for the error that Acronis True Image cannot find disk is not fixed yet but it is one of major tasks for our Development Team. The problem with the message "hub.c ..." is fixed and there should be no such messages in new builds.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

14. Limerick

Limerick Registered Member

Hello Ilya,

I have the problem with the build 800 of TI.

I should not have the "hub.c..." problem with this build ?

And I forgot to tell you that same happens with Acronis Disk Director Suite 9 build 534.

In fact, I'm making an Acronis CD Tools with EasyBoot including both TI and DDS.

So, do you thing it should matter ?
    Of course, you may answer yes :doubt:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2005
  15. franb_c

franb_c Guest

Iflyprivate.... way to fly......
    I tried your way today... and have cloned.
    Did get the hub C:connect-Debounce failed.... but it still went through.
    In fact I went to lunch and when I came back "completed"

Now to crawl under and try changing the drives to see the proof of the puddin....

Will check if there is a new build?

16. Gdurkee

Gdurkee Registered Member

Yo Campers:

This is just a tad frustrating. I notice this problem has been discussed for quite some time with a couple of workarounds but no fix from TI. So I've got both problems reported that seem to be related somehow. Currently, I've got the restart/ then unable to find the new USB disk. I have previously gotten the ERROR: Partition Configuration has change... Press any key.

I've tried the suggestions of using the TI boot disk; that has consistantly failed to recognize the USB drive plugged directly into my Dell Inspiron. I tried using F11 during loading of Acronis/ deleting quiet /OK and having it run through all the drivers then EXIT. Still wouldn't recognize the new hard disk. (ERROR: You must have a 2nd drive for TI to work).

It recognizes it fine when TI is loaded from XP; I've tried both Manual and Automatic Cloning. In all cases it gets to REBOOT (It has correctly ID'd the drive, shown the correct size; and the data light on the new drive has responded when it's been locking the partition). When it reboots, it can't find the new drive.

I bought TI specifically to avoid a clean install of XP, finding all the drivers, SP2 & loading all my programs, but I'm not seeing any other choice here unless someone's come up with a new idea?? Please, pleaseo_O

I'm using V. 8.0 build 826 on an Dell Inspiron 2500 notebook cloning a 10GB HD to a new Samsung 60GB 7200. Using a NSpire USB 2.0 Case with an extra USB power line plugged directly into the laptop (which is USB 1). I'd also tried going through a USB 2.0 PC Hub, but after reading stuff here, thought to switch to the computer USB itself.

Thanks! Hoping for the best here.

George

17. Gdurkee

Another thought:

I'm on a local network. Is there a way I can clone the laptop disk to the new HD connected to the USB port on a desktop computer via a network?

Ever hopeful... .

Thanks.

George

18. Acronis Support

Hello iflyprivate,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Thank you for your investigation. We will try to test it in our Testing Lab.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

19. Gdurkee

OK. Here was my workaround to this problem. I never got TI 8.0 build 826 to read the HD in my NSP-253 External USB drive during cloning attempts after reboot (it read it fine from within XP, but not with the TI boot CD).

I tried the several workarounds suggested here (connect USB directly to computer rather than USB PC Card; do operation entirely within boot CD; go in and out of BIOS; etc.). None of those worked.

Finally, I just made an image copy from the old installed C to an external Firelight USB drive -- this is done without the reboot; replaced the old drive with the new formatted one; booted with the CD -- which now recognized at least this USB on both the computer USB and the PC Card USB 2; and did a restore image to the new drive.

It worked smoothly. It would seem there are some differences in External USB HD holders. The firelight was bought with a HD already in it, but what could the differences be?

Whew. Took several days. Hugely frustrating.

George

20. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello George,

You can say that again!! Have a read of this earlier thread titled <External USB/Firewire that work>.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.