True Image Echo Server for Windows not seeing tape drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by cybercomp, Feb 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cybercomp

cybercomp Registered Member

Hi

I upgraded a client from 9.1 to the new Echo version last night and now the tape drive does not show up as a backup destination.

It is a Dell server with a Quantum DAT72 drive in it. With 9.1 the tape drive showed up no problem and worked fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Nathan

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Is this from within Windows or from the rescue CD?

Colin

3. cybercomp

in windows, just trying to backup to tape

4. cybercomp

I have a solution (for now)

Have un-installed echo and gone back to 9.1 and the tape drive is there as a backup destination. Makes you wonder what you pay maintenance for :rolleyes:

5. spawn-ian

spawn-ian Registered Member

Hi, this seems to be a MAJOR screw up from Acronis, they seem to have a problem linking in with windows RSM (Removable Storage Manager), , where as 9.1 used its only drivers to connect to your tape drive in Echo they use windows RSM to connect to your tape drive, I feel that Acronis have really let everyone down with this HUGE bug....

See my thread below which relates to this::blink:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=1180719#post1180719

6. beatfreak

beatfreak Registered Member

I have a similar problem and it seems i got to the core or somewhere else. From time to time the tape drive disappears from the list of backup-destinations.

I don't know exactly how the "removable storage service" works, but for some reason sometimes it is started and sometimes not. I guess it's just started on call and quits if there is no activity. True Image, it seems to me, can't start the service on it's own if it's needed. So if the service isn't started, TI can't see the tape-drive and will quit any backup-task on tape instantly with an error. It could be easy to put "net start ntmssvc" or "rsm refresh" into a before-script, but TI will fail before it even starts the script. As an alternative you could use the windows-task-scheduler. I will do some tests later.

7. cybercomp

At least it is not just me, I guess we wait for them to fix the problem and then try again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.