True Image Echo Server BartPE Plugin Hangs At Browse Dialog

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by FileCity, Sep 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FileCity

FileCity Registered Member

This post is mostly for Mustang, remember me ? :) I helped you build the Image Mounting function on your older plugins...

I tried to build a complete Echo Server plugin months ago and I got a problem so I gave up and keep my old one... Today I tried the included one provided by Acronis and I got the same problem... The application simply hangs at the browse for files dialog... As soon as I hit the "My Computer" section in backup archive selection dialog, it hangs... But the icon is still responsive, I can do a properties, and manage on it... Only True Image is freezing and don't let me explore the computer disks. I can also click back, cancel, everything works except the browse dialog. This is surely ressource related since my BartPE is a private/custom build and I'm not using the one provided by Acronis...

This is the first time I see this over 6 years of BartPE usage and developpement...
    For now I don't know where to start so any help is appreciated...

Thanks a lot...

Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  2. mustang

mustang Developer

How are you?

I'm not sure what causes that. Get the plugin from my website. It shouldn't have that problem. Then comparing the inf files should let you figure out what caused the problem.

3. FileCity

I Mustang ! I'm fine as usual... I hope it's the same for you too :)

Actually it does the same thing with the Acronis BartPE plugin that's included with the application, I used this plugin inside my BartPE for testing and same problem... So it must be application related... I'm really stuck and trying to solve this since weeks... I don't know what the application is doing at this stage, so it's a pain to know why...

4. FBMachines

FBMachines Registered Member

Hey guys, I have the same problem. There was a short thread about this before but I can't seem to find it now which is odd because I posted a message in it.

I think at the time Mustang had suspected a driver but I never attempted to track it down.

What I found is if you paste the path into the textbox instead of browsing for the path it will skip this lag.

5. FileCity

Thanks FBMachines for your reply... Finding this thread should help... But I really don't understand why it display the tree when making selections for files to backup but not when choosing for .tib location...

6. mustang

mustang Developer

Make sure your BartPE contains MSI.DLL at X:\I386\System32.

7. FileCity

MSI.DLL version 3.1.4001.5512 XP SP3 is present... but don't know if the DLL is registered... Do I need to do a register server on it or just having it is ok ?

I did a Dependancy Walker and everything is present...

8. mustang

mustang Developer

No need to register MSI.DLL.

I don't have the problem. Don't know what to tell you.

9. FileCity

I'm sure it's registry related... But witch entries are concerned ? It's hard to know what the application expect or is trying to do when browsing for local folders ...

10. mustang

mustang Developer

Do this. Download a fresh BartPE. Only install the Acronis supplied plugin. Do you still have the problem?

11. FileCity

I will try this... But I'm sure it will work... My BartPE is a way more complicated than a standard build... when problems comes, it takes some time to correct...

I'm trying to build a corporate environement prior to buy maybe 2 more licenses of echo enterprise and about 100+ licences of workstation... but I need to correct this before... o_O

Do you have a clue to help me point the problem ?
    But anyway you maybe know that I'm able to build Acronis plugins too... I helped you months ago... But now the problem is quite weird. So now, I need help :)

I will maybe disable all plugins related to drivers, services et system components one by one until the problem disapear, so I will have a better idea... I will post the results later...

12. mustang

mustang Developer

Sometimes that's the only thing you can do. Then when you find the plugin that causes the problem, comment out a few lines at a time until find the conflict.

13. FileCity

It's related to the MMC part of XPE plugin... Maybe related to mycomput.dll, I'm realy not sure but the problem is with MMC. I will try to bring more information later...

Ok, it seems to be caused by the Removable Storage Service. RSM was stopped.
    The server {D61A27C6-8F53-11D0-BFA0-00A024151983} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.
    This is mostly parts of NTBackup...

Corrections in XPE - MMC INF File:
    ---------------------------------
    ; Put Removable Storage Service In Disabled Mode, Conflicts With Acronis True Image Archive Selection Browse Dialog, Hang Or Freeze
    ; Disabled in (NtBackup - RegServer ntmssvc.dll - SP2) Section
    ; 0x4,"ControlSet001\Services\NtmsSvc","Start",0x4

This solved the issue.
    Should be documented somewhere if you need this.

14. mustang

mustang Developer

Glad you found it.

Interestingly, I'm using XPE 1.07 with the MMC plugin enabled. I don't have the problem. The NtmsSvc is present but not running. It has a Start type of 0x3.

15. FileCity

Do you use parts of XPE under nu2menu or the full XPE with explorer active ?
    Anyway this service is only for tape drives.

16. mustang

mustang Developer

I use full XPE with all plugins enabled except WMI.

17. FBMachines

I am using Reatogo and made the changes with no improvement. My setup, like Mustang's, also had the NtmsSvc present but not running. It also initially had a Start type of 0x3. When I try to manually start the service it gives an error message it can't start the service (before and after recommended change). FYI, I don't have any build errors or warnings.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
    Corey

BTW FileCity, nice work on your Drive Cleanser plugin. I've been using this for sometime and was very pleased to find it! :D

18. FileCity

Thanks FBMachines... We have most Acronis products where I work and I built plugins for them ofter, including True Image :)

I will try my plugin for the full Echo Workstation and see if it's also solving the issue...

FBMachines, please verify that the service is really still disabled inside the PE environement, in the services manager if you can access it... And run the eventlog at the time that True Image is freezing at the open dialog, it should report an error, post it here...

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  19. mustang

mustang Developer

FBMachines,

You should determine if the problem is being caused by a plugin or by your Reatogo setup. Do this by disabling all plugins except TI. If the problem remains, it is due to your setup. If the problem goes away, it is due to a conflict with another plugin. Then enable plugins one at a time to find the one causing the problem. Then when you find the plugin that is causing the problem, comment out a few line at a time to pin down what is actually causing the problem.

20. FBMachines

Hey guys,

I will give the suggestions a try in a couple of days (I am swamped right now) but I think it's something in Reatogo re-enabling the service again because it is not disabled when I check it.

Just to verify...
    All I need to do in the XPE MMC INF file is change:
    0x4,"ControlSet001\Services\NtmsSvc","Start",0x3

to

0x4,"ControlSet001\Services\NtmsSvc","Start",0x4

Right?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  21. FBMachines

Well I figured out what it was.

I was trying to be too sneaky when building the Reatogo disc. Here is what was happening.

I used to run Windows XP when building the Reatogo disc, and then I switched to Vista.

I copied the reatogo folder over to the new Vista OS as well as the XP source I have always used.

I set the compatibility mode to XP with SP2 for Reatogo so I could still build within Vista.

This all works fine and dandy except if an autohelp plugin requires an XP system file, which Mustang's TI plugin does (in this case ntmssvc.dll, the Removable Storage Manager service).

Vista has its own revision of ntmssvc.dll (6.0.6000.16386) but this is strictly for Vista (I'm guessing); XP's version is 5.1.2400.1106.

To correct the issue I just had to manually copy the XP version of ntmssvc.dll to the "\plugin\TrueImageEchoW\Files\Drivers" path and rebuild the disc. The lag is now gone!

So it was my fault!:eek: I'm just glad it is resolved. Thanks guys.:thumb:

Corey

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.