True Image Crashes Explorer.exe - Shell Extension Issue

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by KlausK, Jan 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KlausK

KlausK Registered Member

I wanted to testdrive True Image, downloaded and installed it. I was very impressed until something happened.

After installing TI, whenever I opened an image file in My Pictures (with Windows Picture & Fax Viewer) and right-click it, Explorer.exe was crashed.

I found that TI added "backup" as shell extension. When I disabled the "backup" shell extension, I no longer experienced Explorer crash.

Has anyone had this issue? This is the only thing that keeps from buying TI. I hope this is a minor issue. Thanks.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello KlausK,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please collect some information to let us investigate the problem thoroughly?

Please create Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please also collect the user.dmp and drwtsn32.log the way described in this previous post

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

3. ktoliver

ktoliver Registered Member

I have the same problem. Whenever I right click on a desktop icon or a file folder my explorer crashes and the system freezes.

I went through a painfull process of uninstalling and reinstalling several programs and finally downloaded ShellExView and turned off the "Acronis True Image Shell Context Menu Extension" (tishell.dll). This resolved the problem.

What is the fix? I would certainly like to have my Acronis running in harmony with my system without having to turn off this extension. Is this extension in any way critical to the program?

Should I post info to support with the extension enabled or disabled?

Thanks

4. Acronis Support

Hello ktoliver,

Many thanks for your interest in Acronis Backup software.

As Marat said in order to investigate the issue we need additional information. It'll help us to find the fix or appropriate workaround as soon as possible. So please submit a request for technical support with the attached reports Marat mentioned. You should collect them when the shell extensions are enabled.

Thank you
    --
    Nikita Sakharov

5. ktoliver

ktoliver Registered Member

Wiil do, thanks for the reply.

6. gsilber

gsilber Registered Member

I have a similar problem. No explorer crash but all actions in explorer works very slowly (rightclic, del, ctrl+C, windows+E ... take about 15 seconds)

if i turn off ti shell extension all works fine.

is there any solution since january and june (previous posts)
    if not which information do you need to investigate.

thank you for help
    Guy Silberzahn

7. Acronis Support

Hello KlausK,

We are sorry for delayed response.

Please make sure you use the latest build of the respective version of Acronis True Image. To get access to updates you should first register your software. It's recommended to uninstall the previous instance of Acronis True Image before installing a new one.

If the issue persists, could you please clarify, what version of Acronis True Image are you using? You can find the full version name and build number by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

8. gsilber

Hello Marat Setdikov,

I have registered my software.
    I have latest Build : Acronis True Image 11 Home build #8107 (latest available on http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/ is #8101 !)
    I also made a post on acronis customer service department [Acronis #1735095] but received only automatic aknowledge : We are sending you this letter to assure you that your message has
    been received and is being processed.
    but no real answer

--
    Guy Silberzahn

9. Acronis Support

Hello gsilber,

As I can see, your case is being worked upon. Could you please clarify if you received the e-mail from Jatin?

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

10. gsilber

Yes, i received a mail from Jatin on november 1st :
    He wrote :
    I am following up with regard to the Acronis Support issue that we received below. [...] At this point, I would like to know if you are still having the same issue so I can manage it to resolution. Please reply to this email and let me know if you would like to proceed.

i answered also on november 1st. :
    I have temporarily deactivate de ti shell extensions and then have no problem.
    But when I activate it I still have this issue.
    Please can you help me ?

since this mail i received only
    - automatic mail aknowledge : [Acronis #1777100] RE: [Acronis #1735095]
    - Customer Experience Survey Invitation !!!

but nothing else ... no solution to this issue !

11. Acronis Support

Hello gsilber,

Thank you for clarification.

As I can see, you have used a different e-mail to send the reply, so it ended up as a separate case. I have merged them, and you should receive an answer as soon as possible.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

12. copcar17

copcar17 Registered Member

After installing True Image I had problem after problem with explorer crashing. I uninstalled true image and no more problems. It seems that many other users have had the same problem. What is being done about the fault? I note that "gsilber" asked the same question about 2 months ago and was told that it would be looked at.

13. Acronis Support

Hello copcar17,

Please make sure you use the latest build of the respective version of Acronis True Image. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

If the latest build doesn't solve the problem, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Then submit a request for technical support or use our Live Chat service. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will do our best to investigate the problem and provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

14. copcar17

Hello, KlausK posted about this problem nearly 12 months ago. Other people who have tried this software have had the same problem. My question again is what has been done about this problem? I just received an email stating my trial version has expired. You say TRY the latest version to see if the problem has been solved. I do not think that I should now have to purchase True image to see if it MIGHT have fixed the problem only to find out that it still exists. I might be hard to please but either the problem has been fixed or it has not.

15. Acronis Support

Hello copcar17,

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

We have not experienced any similar common crashes with Acronis True Image Home 2009. But it is not guaranteed that it will not crash in some personal cases, because crash itself means a conflict between some third part applications. Such situation depends on many factors. And any crash must be investigated personally.

If you want to determine exact reason in your case, please collect all information Marat requested in previous post and also provide us with the dump file as described below:

Please do the following in order to enable mini-dumps:

- Right click on "My Computer" and choose "Properties";
    - Go to "Advanced" tab;
    - Go to "Startup" and "Recover Settings";
    - Choose "Small memory dump" in "Write debugging information" box;
    - Close all the dialog windows by clicking OK buttons.

Now, please reproduce the system crash and send us the mini-dumps created. This will allow us to investigate the problem thoroughly.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexander Nikolsky

16. copcar17

"I just received an email stating my trial version has expired." From my previous message.

How do I do what you have requested?

17. Acronis Support

Hello copcar17,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis True Image

I may recommend you to use our Live Chat service here, describe the issue (or make a reference to this thread), we will find a solution.

Thank you.

--

Oleg Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.