True Image boot manager (F11) & Pre-installed WinRE (F8)

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by d.chatten, Dec 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. d.chatten

d.chatten Registered Member

This is not a problem i have, but, i would like to know what would happen in certain situations.

Lets say i have an OEM computer that has WinRE pre-installed on a hidden partition, which is partition 1, i can press F8 during boot to access WinRE to repair Windows Vista, repairs such as repairing the "MBR" or a missing "winload.exe".

I then install the ATI boot manager onto C: drive, which is partition 2 (OS drive) so i can backup and restore my system using F11 to boot to the ATI recovery environment.

If i then use the F8 WinRE option to repair the "MBR" or a missing "winload.exe" would the ATI F11 option still be available and would it still work.

I hope all this make sense.

Thanks!

2. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

d.chatten:

The Acronis Startup Recovery Manager (ASRM) is installed to the Master Boot Record (MBR) of the disk; not to the C: partition.

If you were to repair the MBR with WinRE then it would replace the ASRM with the generic Vista MBR. However, you could re-activate the ASRM from the True Image application.

Doing the repair to fix a "Missing Winload.exe" problem only involves fixing Vista's Boot Configuration Database (BCD) in the C: partition. This repair would not touch the MBR and thus would not affect the ASRM.

Boy, it must be acronym city today; sorry...

3. d.chatten

d.chatten Registered Member

@k0lo,

Thanks for the informative reply, at least i now know what i need to do if any of the above issues should occur.

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.