True Image 8 in conjunction with SpinRite 6?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Savtenet, Jul 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Savtenet

Savtenet Registered Member

Does/has anyone use TI8 with SpinRite 6? Any compatibility problems?

2. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

I use Spinrite 6.
    Spinrite 6 runs from DOS floppy so nothing else is concurrent.
    What exactly are you asking?

3. Savtenet

Savtenet Registered Member

I believe SpinRite 6 is different than SpinRite 5 & other older versions but I guess what I'm interested in is in regards to both having bootable rescue capabilities. If anyone has already used both recovery cds ~ if there was anything to take note of.

4. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

I get the impression you are unclear on the difference between these two products.

SpinRite 6 is a low level disk recovery tool which analyses the disk structure and is capable of fixing disks which have had damage to their magnetic properties. It is capable of recovering data from disks which have been severely corrupted, bits flipped, weak magnetic signals, etc. It can fix a disk may be unbootable or can't even be formatted.
    It has very sophisticated logic which can take hours (or in a worse case scenario even days) to analyse and recover a disk.
    If it can't recover a corrupted disk then it's unlikely anything can (I doubt that even a professional data recovery service could do better - they probably use SpinRite anyway!).

TrueImage is a backup imaging application program which can be used to take a snapshot of a disk (or partition) at any point in time. It can then be used later to restore that data to a disk should it become necessary. The reasons one might want to restore data are varied. For example, an application program might have a bug which causes it to incorrectly delete data. Maybe an operating system upgrade introduces a problem which corrupts the file system (say NTFS) structure. Maybe a disk head crash physically destroys a disk - so a new disk is bought and the backup disk image needs to be copied to the new disk.

If a disk is corrupted magnetically (not file system logically) and no backups are available. or so out of date that the effort to restore from backup and reenter data is too great, then it's possible that SpinRite 6 might be able to fix the disk so that the data, either fully or partially, can be read. In some cases it might be able to recover all but an odd sector or two but that's not usually a big deal if it can recover 99.9999% of the data. Of course it's not a magic wand (comes close!) and the disk may be so badly damaged that it's useless - although from what I've seen you'd just about have to take a hammer to the disk before SpinRite can't recover something useful.

So both programs serve a different purpose.

Does that help?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.