True Image 8.0 not identifying USB2.0 drive "usb device not accepting new address"

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by rraheja, Oct 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rraheja

rraheja Registered Member

I have a Toshiba A65-S126 Celeron 2.8GHz / 512 MB / 60GB / USB2.0 system and a Seagate 160GB USB 2.0 external drive.

When I start TI using boot CD or recovery manager, it gives an error similar to "usb device not accepting new address" twice and does not show my ext hdd; rendering TI useless!

interestingly, I have a much older Dell Latitude laptop C610 Pentium III 1GHz / 512/ 20 GB / USB1.1 system, and if I connect the Seagate external drive to it, TI recognizes it without any problems!

however, I am trying to back up the new system so the fact that it works with the old system is of no help except in hoping that someone here would be able to help figure out whats going on.

btw, I tried "acpi=off noapic" and it still did not work. interestingly, if I remove the "quiet" option, it comes to the # prompt and hangs. In my old system, it does not hang and allows me to enter commands. Is the Toshiba system not compatible with TI 8.0.

FYI. TI build is 771.

Appreciate any help!
    Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2004
  2. rraheja

rraheja Registered Member

Re: True Image 8.0 not identifying USB2.0 drive "usb device not accepting new address

an update.

I rebooted and tried APPENDING "acpi=off noapic" and it still gives the same error. then I retried ONLY putting the above and removing the "quiet". This time it did bring the prompt and when I typed "exit", it started TI and this time it DID recognize the USB drive.

HOWEVER, I have a C: and D: partitions and a E: CDRW drive. on booting with the abovementioned options, it recognized the drives as follows:

C: (normal)
    D: was assigned to the USB2.0 drive
    E: was assigned to my D: partition
    F: G: H: I: J: K: L: were all assigned to my one CDRW drive.

I am not sure why so many drives are assigned to the one CDRW drive and why the USB drive is being assigned the drive letter in the wrong order.

also, why does it even work only if I remove the "quiet"?

thanks.

3. zoso

zoso Registered Member

You are definitely not alone on this!

I have had to format my 120GB partitioned HD no less than 4 TIMES over the last 2 weeks because of the same problem with this 'backup utility' - the backing up has caused me more loss of data than I would ever have had, had I not installed it!!! Not that you'd be that interested, but I've lost almost 160GB of downloaded torrent files between the 2 partitions because TI8 decided to reorganise my partition table - and even then it wouldn't boot into Windows so I lost my C drive as well.

Before I received the 2 errors, I also got this message "Self ID received outside of bus reset sequence".

The problem is either with version 8 or it's to do with the USB port drivers being incompatible with this program. This may not be relevant to you, but I noticed in my Device Manager that the USB Bus Controller had an exclamation mark against it, so I reinstalled the .inf file from the supplied CD. I did this both before and after TI8 was installed (between formats, when the b****r didn't work!!!). I also unplugged the USB device and this made sweet FA difference (and another format 'to boot' - pardon the pun).

So I'm now taking my chances, I have nothing to lose, all my data has been lost, but what the heck - although I can no longer rely on this piece of software, at least I know I can rely on myself...

4. clouseau76

clouseau76 Guest

I too would like an easy solution to this as we use TI to deploy research software and even on identical machines, one might work and the nest one not. TI7 works just fine. The problem is only with version 8.

Thanks

5. Newsflash

Newsflash Registered Member

Same effects on my side. I have an 4MBO P.C.V.O IV AMD Athlon XP2800+, 2.08 GHz, 512MB RAM machine with XP Home SP2, a WD 1600BB HDD with 2 partitions, DVD-ROM and DVD/CD-Writer. For backup: external USB2.0 drive Hitachi 160GB. Working with TI8 build 771, I could write the exact same symptoms as rraheja did (twice "usb device not accepting new address", does not show my ext hdd, # prompt and hangs when removing the "quiet" option, works perfect on a Dell Inspiron 500m, etc.)

Acronis, we need your help and a solution here!

Thanks for any further input.

6. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

If available, in the bios - set Plug and Play Operating system = No. (Or if set to "No" try "Yes")

7. zoso

zoso Registered Member

Thanks for your suggestion.

With respect, it's important to myself and the other people in this thread to know if this actually is a working solution that you have discovered yourself or a mere suggestion.

If this has worked for you, I'm at a loss to know why, because I've successfully restored images with this software many times before, without having altered the BIOS - why should this be necessary now?

Thanks again...

8. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

It's a mere suggestion. Another mere suggestion is to try enabling or disabling "Legacy USB Devices" in the bios. This has helped me in similar circumstances.

9. zoso

zoso Registered Member

Thanks for your help - when I've found a good enough reason to reinstall this software I'll certainly give your suggestions a go - thanks for your input.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.