TRUE IMAGE 2009 Worth Buying?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dx9100, Nov 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dx9100

dx9100 Registered Member

I'm looking at this product, have noticed many compliants on prior versions. so looking for your thoughts, OR have you found a product that works better?

Thanks

2. Tipperton

Tipperton Registered Member

If you can find it as a physical product (mainly because I doubt you can buy it as a downloadable), I'd recommend getting True Image v10 over the 2009 version.

Amazon.com has a number of sellers that still have it, or you can try eBay.

I have v10, v11, and 2009 (a.k.a. v12) and my experiences with them were:
    v10 worked perfectly, no problems.
    v11 worked but has some flaws that were never fixed
    v12 didn't work at all, asking for a refund

I've decided to go back to v10 and stay with it.

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I'm going to disagree with this approach. TI10 is now 2 versions behind and runs the chance of not supporting new hardware which the OP may have. It also was bug-ridden and well-cursed when it first came out.

However, the main reason for not jumping directly onto an obsolete version is that you can download the time-limited trial version and see exactly how it works on your system. If that turns into a big disaster then consider alternatives.

Yes, there are a lot of problems posted here but that's the reason people come to forums 99.9% of the time, not to say how wonderful life is.

4. Uncle Ben

Uncle Ben Registered Member

@seekforever: I couldn't agree more. I have installed Version 11 on my wife's laptop, tested it and everything worked 100%. I am anxious to hear comments on the 2009 version. Any way, back to your comment, well said.

5. ToyMaker

ToyMaker Registered Member

For me, 2009 work's perfect. I have had every version since 8. The only thing I miss is in 11 you could have multiple backups with incrementials. In 2009 that changed, all you can do is one backup and increnetials with consolidation. Also in previous versions the secure zone took care of it self. Now its all manual, with consolidation. But I hear that they are going to added it back due to customer demand.

Love the new layout in 2009. Everthing works out of the box.
    8-10 did the job, 11 was easy to use with the secure zone handling everything automatically, after a scheduler fix.

6. LM1

LM1 Registered Member

Without passing judgment on TI 2009, which I have not tested, you might want to have a look at Macrium Reflect (www.macrium.com), which I have tested - it's very fast, has excellent support, and has proven reliable in my personal experience.

7. Memory

Memory Guest

Thanks for that one. It looks very promising. I am just starting a trial of an almost exact clone of True Image : Paragon Drive Backup
    "Reviews" of both here : ~Link removed. Site not recommended by Wilders. - Ron~

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2008
  8. Faust

Faust Registered Member

2009 rocks - first AT product to work flawlesly on my computers hardware - great GUI as well - fast backups and equally fast recoveries.

9. seekforever

No idea just how well it works but be aware it suffers from, IMO, the same Achilles Heel that TI does - the Linux recovery environment. You will note its forums have the inevitable "How to make a BartPE CD" and related topics that TI does. However, they may (or may not) have a better grip on what constitutes QA!

Whenever I make a move to another product one of primary considerations will be how the recovery environment is done.

10. Memory

Memory Guest

11. seekforever

Interesting alright although it looks like you have to go through the BartPE creation yourself. Looks like VistaPE might be more integrated but it isn't totally clear.

I wonder what you get, if it does it, if you setup a restore in Windows. Will it reboot into Linux or VistaPE if anything to do the restore. I see you can set up a dual-boot type arrangement for booting VistaPE.

I expect the moderator will soon be putting the lid on this discussion here.

12. shieber

shieber Registered Member

ATI12/2009 seems to have better hardware support than the aging versin 10 or the dreaded version 11. You can try it for free to see if it has the features you want and works on your hardware. Some folks that use very few features find that even the dreaded version 11 worked fine for them. You might be one of those folks.

There is some room argument that ATI10 was the last really well thought out version, although not entirely without it's problems. And the older it gets , the fewer hardware combinations it will work on. It was like reasonably well designed Timex. NOt top flight in terms of losts of added function, but a good basic watch with some nice automated fucnctions.

I'll tell you, if they jsut kept upgrading 10's hardware support, I'd still be buying Acronis products (i.e., version 10 upgrades). Version 11 was like buying a knock-off Rolex on the street for $30 bucks -- it was a watch but only told the right time twice a day (very limited in what it could do and what hardware it could do it on) which was all some folks need but. . .

Version 12/2009, is an uppoer priced casio watch. Not top flight, missing some key functions, but has lot's of doodads and generally it runs what it has okay, so long as you wear it on your left arm only.

Which is right for you? Only way to tell is to try before you buy -- including other brands and see what fits your needs best.

13. dx9100

dx9100 Registered Member

Thanks for all your responses, I need to check out the other programs mentioned, and this product some more.

14. The Nodder

The Nodder Registered Member

I totally agree.

I have TI 10, TI 11 and TI 2009, Macrium is vastly better.

15. middydj

middydj Registered Member

That would be your best move. I'm so dissapointed with Acronis True Image 11 and 2009 that I will not longer spend money to support them or recommend them to my clients. Beta Software..

Microsoft's backup software in Vista Ult and Windows Home server works out of the box better than these by Acronis.

16. Memory

Memory Guest

I couldn't agree more with that edit. Because at that website, Acronis True Image is in the #1 spot with a Gold Award.
    So yes, definitely not recommended.
    Sometimes by cutting in other peoples postings, you also cut yourself.
    Reminds me of the behaviour of kids in Kindergarten.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.