troubles with DYNAMIC DISK

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by you-are, Feb 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. you-are

you-are Registered Member

i have RAID-6 array with totall available space of 2095,47 GiB (=2,05TiB). as i know DD supprts partitions up to 2TiB, so the rest of 0,05TiB isd ignored. tu use this rest of 0,05TiB i convewrt my whole disk from BASIC to DYNAMIC with DISK MANAGMENT under win server 2003+sp1.
    after convertion i got the whole space of 2,05TiB available.....after convertion i used my RAID-6 array for 3 days without any problems, writing and reading from thid disks or array was no problem.....but running the DD10 to see my disk configurations (i did nothing, just looked for information, NO EDITING, NO PARTITIONING, NO RESIZING, nothing done just looked with DD10) gave me troubles, very very big troubles......
    now when i open DISK MANAGEMENT of server2003 i see only this information: 2095,47 GiB UNALLOCATED SPACE. if i right-click on the partition i can only make new partition. if i right-click on the disk i can only convert it to DYNAMIC. well, i treid to convert it to DYNAMIC, but i get error from DISK MANAGMENT: this request is not valid and cann't be completed. after this the disk goes INITIALIZING status and happens nothing......it is now for 3 days that this disk is in this status, i didn't close DISK MANAGMENT, it is still open and still INITIALIZING the disk.....

as u can see, my disk is screwed after running DD10 for checking some information....how can i get my partition back? how can i get my DYNAMIC DISK back? i know that my data's are there, they are still on the disk...i know it for sure, only the partition table has been screwed. how to recover it?

i know that only server edition of True Image supports DYNAMIC disk, but makeing copy of my partition is not an option for me, simply because i cann't buy another 2,05 TiB space.......file system is NTFS

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello you-are,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

PLease be aware that Acronis Software does not support disks larger then 2Tb and Acronis Disk Director Suite/Server does not support Dynamic Disks too.

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post and submit a request for technical support. Attach the collected report file and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

3. you-are

let me say this....thank u for your helping, but this is not mkuch for me...this way i cann't get my data and disk back....u got any other solution?

4. you-are

after reading some articles on internet and trying to do it correctly what they tell...a a, nothing helps
    the links are:
    Code:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=245725
    http://www.petri.co.il/recover_a_deleted_ntfs_fat32_volume_in_windows_xp_2003.htm
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=153973
    to say it first....i dont have done any thing with DSKPROBE, no sector writing, no sector reading, never ran that DSKPROBE program

but face this strange thing....according to this articles i can probably get my data back if i re-create my dynamic volume.....okay, here are the steps that i do to recreate my volume:
    1. open disk management under server 2003 (i have disk with unallocated space above 2TiB, the real size is 2095,47 GiB = 2,05 TiB)

2. right click on the unallocated space, NEW PARTITION >> EXTENDED PARTITION (size is 2145760 TiB, which is 2095,47GiB = 2,05TiB, thus above 2TiB limit) >> i choose 2097141MiB = 2047,99GiB = 1,99 TiB as the size for EXTENDED PARTITION

3. this part goes normaly and succesfully. after this i close DISK MANAGEMENT.

4. then i re-open DISK MANAGEMENT, right click on extended partition >> NEW LOGICAL DRIVE >> size is 2097141 Mib = 2047, 99 Gib = 1,99 TiB >> DO NOT ASSIGN A DRIVE LETTER >> DO NOT FORMAT THIS PARTITION. this goes also succesfully. remember that i still have 47,47 Gib free space available. after this creation of logical partition i close DISK MANAGEMENT

5. then i re-open DISK MANAGEMENT, right click on the disk (note: not the partition but the disk) and convert the disk to DYNAMIC. this goes also succesfully. then i close DISK MANAGEMENT.

6. then i re-open it again.......what do i see? the DYNAMIC DISK that i just
    have created is gone and it is now back to BASIC DISK and again i have UNALLOCATED space of 2095,47 GiB = 2,05TiB... and if i want convert it again to DYNAMIC, it gives me error: this reqeust is not valid. huh? how can this happen? what is wrong here? what happens here? what is going on here? how is this possible?

i am getting crazy......nowhere i can get help....neither the manufacturer of my PCI RAID-controler, nor Acronis.....still remeber...all my troubles began when i succesfully converted my BASIC to DYNAMIC, then expanding the file system and then running DD server edition...after this running began all the s*it

still to mention....i didn't do any sector editing, nor any formating. i just created EXTENDED and LOGICAL partitions without formating it. so the file system on this both partitions is RAW

help, ppl....i badly need my data back.......

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello you-are,

Please be aware that Acronis Disk Director Server 10.0 does not apply any changes on your hard drives unless you commit some operations with it.

That is why I think that this problem was not caused by Acronis Disk Director Sever 10.0. Please provide us with the Acronis Report that I asked you to create in my previous post. We will do our best to investigate the problem and provide you with a possible solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.