Trouble with Hidden Directory

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ab7fh, Apr 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ab7fh

ab7fh Registered Member

I'm running a Sony desktop computer which has a hidden directory. When creating my image I select both the hidden directory and the C:\ directory.

When restoring it gives me the option to restore C:\ and the hidden directory seperately.

I tried restoring after selecting both drives.

When I tried to reboot I got an error that a Windows file was missing.

I read another post here regarding hidden directories and he had straight forward instructions, but... when I tried them I ended up with a whole lot more options that he did not cover. Options such as do I want to assign a drive letter, do I want to make the drive active, etc...

What is the exact procedure to make a new HD bootable from an image file containing a hidden directory? I looked in the FAQ with no luck.

TIA

Rick

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello ab7fh,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please do the following?

- Download the Acronis Report utility from http://www.acronis.com/files/support/AcronisReport.exe;
    - Run Acronis Report utility and select the "Create bootable floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the floppy drive and proceed with creating the bootable diskette;
    - Boot the computer under consideration from this diskette and wait for report creation process to complete;
    - Send the 'report.txt' file from the floppy disk to support@acronis.com along woth the link to this thread.

This would provide us with detailed information on the hard disk partition structure.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

3. iflyprivate

iflyprivate Registered Member

When you create your image, be sure to select the checkbox at the top of your source drive graphic so all checkboxes are selected. Restore the image by checking all the same boxes and you should be okay.

4. ab7fh

ab7fh Registered Member

Thank you. Somehow I missed the "select all" option box. I am currently burning an image. We'll see if that does the trick.

5. ab7fh

ab7fh Registered Member

I tried to restore using my latest image, but it will only let me check one box at a time. If I check C:\ it then asks if I want to make it active, primary or logical.

Back to the same thing...

6. ab7fh

ab7fh Registered Member

This is the error I get when I tried to restore selecting Drive C:\ as active and the hidden drive as logical. I told the program not to install drive letters.

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt.
    <windows root>\sytem32\hal.dll
    please re-install a copy of the above file.

7. ab7fh

ab7fh Registered Member

Bump...

8. ab7fh

ab7fh Registered Member

I sent in the file hours ago. Any word as to what I need to do?? I'm hoping to get this resolved before I have to leave.

Thanks

9. Acronis Support

10. ab7fh

ab7fh Registered Member

The info you gave me was for uninstalling Windows XP. The instuctions STOP after the user removes XP from their system. Then whato_O What about all my programs?? Can I reinstall XP and have all of my programs still work without reinstalling them??

Seems to me your program doesn't work with my Sony Desktop machine. Is that the caseo_O

11. ab7fh

ab7fh Registered Member

Bump again... I emailed support for a second time. Still with no response except for an auto reply letter.

12. Acronis Support

Hello ab7fh,

Could you please send me a PM with your Acronis request # which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter? I will take care of the situation.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

13. ab7fh

ab7fh Registered Member

I have sent you EVERYTHING you want. Will I ever get help??

14. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello ab7fh,

They say a picture is worth a thousand words so lets see if this helps.

As iflyprivate said, when creating your image, make sure you tick the checkbox next to Disk 1 (Screenshot 1 below). This will select all partitions on Disk 1.

Boot from the bootable rescue CD and follow the Restore Image Wizard. When prompted you must, once more, tick the checkbox next to Disk 1 (Screenshot 2). Again, this will select all the partitions on Disk 1. After that click "Next" and select Disk 1 as the Restored Hard Drive Location (Screenshot 3) and then continue with the restore.

By following these instructions the Restore Image Wizard should not ask you whether the restored partitions are to be Primary, Active or Logical.

Regards

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.