Trouble Restoring

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by acronis_newbie, Jun 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acronis_newbie

acronis_newbie Registered Member

Hi,

I just performed a Recovery using True Image Management Server 9.1 on 'bare metal', but with the same hardware specs as the previous pc. The image was over 4 files, so I just recovered using the first file, (assuming that it will be clever enough to use the other files as well).

Unfortunately, when I tell the machine to boot from the hard drive, (as opposed to the Acronis Bootable cd I used to restore with), I get the error message 'Error Loading Operating System'. Is this a common problem?

Can anyone offer advice?

Thanks,

Keith

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

What operating system is it?

3. acronis_newbie

Windows XP SP2

4. DwnNdrty

Okay, if it was Vista that is a whole other ball game. :) You say the specs for the new hardware are the same, but is the hardware the same, especially the video card? If it isn't you will need to have the optional Universal Restore feature incorporated into the TI software.

What has worked for me without using UR, is if you still have the previous pc, make another Backuup Image after you change the display to a generic type. Then try to restore that Image. Also I always use the bootable True Image Rescue cd to do my Backups and Restores.

If the Restored system boots up you will, of course, have to instal the driver for the video card that it has.

5. acronis_newbie

HI there,

The actual hardware is the same as the original pc image. (The hard drive failed, so that is the only thing that has changed.) I'm booting from the bootable cd already.

The strange thing is, that after I perform the restore, then go back into Acronis & look at the locations available to restore from, I can actually see the original folders that were on the system. I've tried doing a backup of some of these folders to see if I can restore them elsewhere. Fingers crossed...

Keith

6. DwnNdrty

When you said, "the same hardware specs as the previous pc." implied to me that it was another pc you were using. Okay so it is only the hard drive that changed. In this case then you might need to do a Repair Install of XP if all else fails.

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello acronis_newbie,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Could you please provide us with some additional information so we could provide you with a possible solution?

- Have you created the image of the entire drive or system partition only?

- Have you restored the entire drive or system partition only?

- What disk interface (IDE, SATA etc) you are using on the original and target computers?

Please also have a look at this article by Microsoft regarding this issue.

[QUOTEacronis_newbie]The image was over 4 files, so I just recovered using the first file, (assuming that it will be clever enough to use the other files as well).[/QUOTE]

Yes, you are right. If the image was splitted into several files, it doesn't matter which one you select as the program recognizes them as a single archive.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

8. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

Sound's like a simple "drive letter change during restore", very common occurence with windows xp. It's a 5 minute fix if you have the right utility's.
    The easiest way to verify what your drive letters are on the restored dive is to use the demo of "paragon justboot corrector" , and use that to bootup your computer, it will display what your partitions are and there drive letters are, your system partition should be c:. refer to this post for possible fixes.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=174958

9. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Did you do a "disk" restore or a "partition" restore?

Were there other partitions on the old drive which were not restored?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.