Trouble in the land of Download Managers

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Jack Black, Aug 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack Black

Jack Black Guest

Hi

I am trying to use this download manager called Leechget 2004. My problem is i can't figure out how to download anything with it. When i open the program, and minimize it to systray, then click new download, then start wizard, it will say Please enter the uniform resource locator of a file you wish to start downloading with Leechget 2004 in the field below. How/where do i get the URL? of the program to download?

I haven't been able to get it to work in IE or Firefox. I also installed the FF plugin, but that shouldn't really matter because i can't get it to work with IE either. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Bethrezen

Bethrezen Registered Member

Re: Trouble in the land of Dowload Managers

hi

in ff just right click on the download link and hit copy link location then past that in to leach get

in ie you right click and select copy short cut then past that in to leach get

3. Jack Black

Jack Black Guest

Hi Bethrezen

Thanks for your reply, i'll try to explain this as best i can in my newbie terms. I went to download.com for a test and went to the download page for hijackthis and click on the download button, but instead of letting Firefox download the program i'll click cancel. Then i right click on the link now in the window at the top of Firefox (the window that you would type in the web address) and choose copy. Then i'll right click on the Leechget icon that i have in the systray and click new download then start wizard and the url will already be in the box but what i will get (after download) is the web page and not the program i would like to download.

I know i'm just doing something wrong here, but i just can't seem to figure it out. Could you let me know if the steps i provided above are correct or am i missing something? Thanks.

4. jolog577

jolog577 Guest

You can't hardly do that with download.com because they put codes in their links to avoid that kind of practice.
    Let's say that it's for commercial matter :)
    They want to control each download through them because (maybe you don't know it) every software developper pays to be there.
    So download.com have to justify the cost of it by proving their high "visibility"

Even freeware programmers has to pay, really a shame !

5. slim30097

slim30097 Registered Member

I do not use IE6 for anything by Win updates but there is an extension for Firefox that will integrate LeechGet with the built in download manager in FF. I don't think it is listed on the current extenstion page but I have it on version 0.93 & it works just fine.

The extenstion is called Download With & located at downloadwith.mozdev.org. Version 0.07 is the most current. After installing the extension, click on the options icon on the extension & select "Create New Application", then use the browse button beside Command & link to Leechget.exe in C:\Program Files. Be sure to set up the LeechGet options (Extra above the tool bar).

Then when you download with FF, you will get an option to download with LeechGet or the regular download manager. Select download with LeechGet - the graphics are very colorful. Hope this helps.

Slim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.