Trouble checking image on external usb drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by thebigdintx, Oct 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebigdintx

thebigdintx Registered Member

Using T.I. 9.0.2289, I successfully create a full disc image onto a Acomdata external USB drive, but it checks with error. I went under my Device Properties in windows and checked my properties for the usb drive. It listed two choices : 1. Optimize for quick removal (this choice was already selected), and 2. Optimize for performance, which enables write caching in windows.
    Would this make a difference? Which choice should I leave the setting on? I changed it to choice #2 thinking that may help, created another image to the external hdd, and checked it, but it still showed error.

2. bobdat

bobdat Registered Member

Leave it on 1) so you can use plug and play removal. Otherwise, you won't be able to safely disconnect the external drive without shutting everything down.

2) is slightly faster on writes to the external drive but the data loss problem isn't worth the extra speed when you are connecting/disconnecting the drive.

The errors have nothing to do with the two settings.

3. thebigdintx

Ok, thanks. I set it back to "optimize for quick removal". I am still experiencing the error when I attempt to check my archive though. I'm getting "Error E00070020" when I try and check my archive using T.I. 9.0.2289 from within windows. I tried to check it using the boot CD, but it seemed to just hang with the total progress at "2 hours remaining", so I cancelled the check image because it normally only takes about 2 minutes to check an image ( image is only 2.66 GB).

4. thebigdintx

Since I was having problems creating an image on my external hard drive which verified as good, I tried this...any suggestions?

1. I created an image to my internal hard drive using 9.0.2289 from within windows (5 min, successfully completed).

2. I checked archive using T.I. from within windows ( 2 1/2 min, successfully completed).

3. I checked archive using T.I. from boot CD ( 1 min 45 sec, successfully checked).

4. I copied the image from my internal drive to external hdd (4min).

5. I checked archive using T.I. from within windows ( Error E00070020 The archive is corrupted ).

6. I checked archive with boot CD ("The archive was successfully checked", but only took about 30 seconds ? Short time to check makes me wonder if it really checked it?)

5. Eddie877

Eddie877 Guest

Hi there, I'm glad I found this thread, I have an Acomdata usb hard drive and was thinking about buying Acronis True Image so I can image my notebook hard drive as a backup.

Can you post an updated status on your problem? Did you find a solution? If not, I'm going to skip Acronis and keep backing up just my data, as opposed to imaging the entire c: drive.

Thanks. Keep us posted...and good luck.

6. Allen L.

Allen L. Registered Member

Just a shot in the dark, but could it be a possible flaw in version 9? I certainly wouldn't think #6 above could possibly be correct.

...Allen :blink:

7. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

This was an excellent diagnostic procedure. It certainly points to a problem in copying a large file to the external USB drive.

If you want to confirm whether the original file on the internal drive and the copy on the USB drive are identical as they should be, do an MD5 checksum of each file. If the checksums are not identical, the file is being changed by the copy process. That would be a hardware issue on your motherboard's USB ports or the external hard drive.

Here's a link to a free MD5 checksum utility:
    http://www.brandonstaggs.com/filecheckmd5.html

8. thebigdintx

Do you think it would help any to get images to verify as ok on my external hard drive if I formatted it to FAT32 instead of NTFS?

9. thebigdintx

Do you think it would help any to get images to verify as ok on my external hard drive if I formatted it to FAT32 instead of NTFS?

10. thebigdintx

I used FilecheckMD5 as you suggested. I made a FileCheckMD5 sum file on an image on my external hdd. I then copied the image to my desktop, and checked the MD5 sums. It said "Every file appears OK".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.