TrojanHunter vs Ewido

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by Baldrick, Feb 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Hi there

Interested in people's opinion as to which does the better job overall. Both have resident guards, both deal with trojans but if I understand correctly ewido covers spyware as well, which TrojanHunter does not at present (and I believe is not planning to?).

Have seen suggestion that TrojanHunter & MS Antispware Beta give the same coverage as ewido. Is there any substance in that?

Really looking to rationalise what I have running/protecting my PC, if possible......and sensible.

2. Randy_Bell

Randy_Bell Registered Member

TrojanHunter has been adding spyware signatures for the last few years. But it is not a substitute for a dedicated AntiSpyware application such as MSAS, Spy Sweeper, Spyware Doctor, SpyBot S&D, Ad-Aware, etc.

3. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Thanks Randy

The reason I asked is that Ewido seems to have excellent reviews in terms of its anti trojan capabilities (almost as good as TrojanHunter if you go by http://www.anti-trojan-software-reviews.com/review-ewido.htm) but also seems to comprehensively cover the malware area that MSAS does.

Hence the question as to whether Ewido would be a good replacement for two applications, ie, TrojanHunter and an antispyware program?

Regards

Baldrick

4. SPEEDY6128

SPEEDY6128 Registered Member

TrojanHunter vs Ewido + Mystery of no mention....

hi there techies,

Out of TrojanHunter Vs Ewido which do you lot think is better suited for realtime detection of trojans. I currently own both, but currently have Trojan Hunter set as my resident app. I bought TrojanHunter based on the fact that where ever I read on the net, it got rated the best Trojan app alongside TDS-3 when it was going. Even Wilders themselves reviewed it to be one of the best. Yet when I look in forums of Wilders, there isnt alot of people mentioning it when it comes to someone recommending a Trojan app. They all tend to talk about Ewido. As TrojanHunter gotton behind the times or something ? Remember I'am only interested in which one provides the better "Trojan" detection, as i have Ad-aware Pro covering spyware/adware. Many thanks for anyone with any insight into this matter.

5. Randy_Bell

Randy_Bell Registered Member

I can't answer for everyone but, if you are asking if ewido is an adequate substitute for a dedicated AntiSpyware application, my answer would be the same; it is not, and neither is TH. ;) They both detect spyware but are not solely dedicated to antispyware like the apps mentioned. ;)

6. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Whether you need an anti-spyware app will depend on your surfing habits etc, i haven't had spyware for a very long time using Kaspersky with the extendedbases with a hostfile:http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm, also have Spy Sweeper which is one the finest spyware app's, but it only finds cookies, which makes it an expensive cookie-remover :D, don't get me wrong, i bought it because it is the along with CounterSpy. I would personally buy (& have) Ewido, but try both and see which one you like.:)

7. ReGen

ReGen Registered Member

Re: TrojanHunter vs Ewido + Mystery of no mention....

I’ve been using TH for about 3 years now and have been very happy with it. I think TH users tend not to be very vocal here at Wilders, possibly due to Wilders having been the home of TDS and now Ewido, and also TH has a very successful forum of its own.

TH is in a very good position just now with over 1000 Trojans being added each week by Gavin and Magnus. Version 5 is also in the pipeline.

8. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

As to "Trojan Hunter vs Ewido" it is my opinion that TH will, day by day, leave Ewido in the dust. I have one main reason for saying this: Gavin Coe (formerly DiamondCS TDS-3) is now working for TH and the updates are coming fast & furious. In its day, TDS-3 was the primo of all ATs. I fully expect TH to attain that status with Gavin now on their team. Magnus + Gavin ---- awesome!!!

9. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

I understand from you that the duo Magnus + Gavin is better than the guys from ewido, even worse, leave them in the dust.
    Where are the figures to convince me?
    Or can I store this in my mind likewise the topics: wich app. is better A or B. (we have hundreds, maybe thousends here of those annoying questions/statements).

Gerard

10. ReGen

ReGen Registered Member

11. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Ok . My turn .
    NO WAY will TH leave Ewido in the dust !! No way !! Gavin is good . He obviously makes TH better than what it was . But , Ewido is not a slouch . Opinions are opinions but , I will never agree that TH leaves Ewido in the dust . It is a lot closer than that ! Both are good choices . Both would be great but , if you had to choose one , feel good in either .

12. Avian Avis

Avian Avis Registered Member

I have win98se so can't talk about Ewido.

However when I was using Trojan Hunter's trial version last month I had an interesting event occur on my computer: my firewall (old version of Outpost free) indicated an incoming connection to my computer, very fleeting, at which point I hurried to terminate the internat connection - just in case! After that I opened the programs list and mysteriously the link to Trojan Hunter guard (though not the scanner) was missing. Weird!

I created another link on the desktop this time, but I still think it funny that the TH guard was on at that time and didn't pick up anything fishy going on.

Need I say that none of the antiviruses (drWeb, Antivir6) or a-squared or TH scans detected anything after this suspicious-event? ... :)

13. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

A problem I found with ewidos resident guard was it slowed the opening of every programme on my PC-XP 3GIG P4 1 gig RAM.
    Trojan Hunters doesn't.

14. Wolfe

Wolfe Registered Member

Strange :rolleyes: - no such thing happening over on this system running ewido 1 gig of RAM. Could it be someting else is slowing down your system - sure looks like it.

15. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Supposedly this is one area that ewido is working on in hopes of fine tuning for the release of version 4.0 (an improved resident guard, which isn't as resource heavy in terms of memory and CPU useage).....

16. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

Nope, it's happened to others too, there's a thread in their forum.

17. azumi21

azumi21 Registered Member

TrojanHunter has a lot of work to do.
    It is not even close to be worth paying for.
    Any of the top AVs will catch far more Trojans than TH

This will change with mighty Gavin added.
    It will take time.

Ewido is in a class by itself and will continue to improve.
    As it doesn't just detect Trojans, but all kinds nasty malware.
    Almost a must have.

For now + a year away =

ewido > TH

18. SIR****TMG

SIR****TMG Registered Member

I have paid for both of these programs and run them together.I have no problems sofar and no complaints and my pc is free of junk......:)

19. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

Hi Baldrick Just a thought what would you do in 3 months time if you find that MS anti spyware becomes intergrated into Windows Onecare and is no more? You will have to maybe buy another product to complimment TH.
    I have to agree with Don You proberbly get all the above protection and more with KAV and extended bases.
    In the mindset of most who have lurked around here , as you ,. for the last 3 or 4 yrs there is the feeling YOU must run with a AT or else. Iv not run with one since I dumped TDS3 2 yrs ago and Iv never looked back or had any issues . I think as far as value for money goes ( depending on your surfing habits) a separate AT is almost redundancy if you run with KAV and extended bases. As far as crud goes I find that running with Firefox and adblock plus and dumping all my cookies when I close Firefox keeps things real clean . I also dont have a separate spyware app.

20. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

This is exactly the issue I had with ewido. As someone else mentioned, reducing the resource usage of ewido's guard is one of the main aims of ewido 4.0.

TH's guard is extremely light.

Regarding TH leaving ewido in the dust. Rubbish! TH was very slow in adding new definitions until Gavin arrived. ewido on the other hand has had at least one update every day over a far longer period.

21. JohnnyBravo

JohnnyBravo Registered Member

Same here;)
    I'm using KAV ( with extended databases) , Look'n'Stop FW & until today M$ Antispyware ( I've turned off the real-time protection finding it unuseful).
    Since using Firefox with NoScript extension & Phant0ms AlternativeBrowser Buddy , I think that I do not need so much real time protection and I want to minimize the number of processes in the Task Manager ( now only 24 :) )
    I would like to use some softwer for on demand scan , and I can see that Ewido can be used free for this purpose , but I couldn't find what's the TrojanHunters policy about this
    Can someone help me with this
    can I use TrojanHunter free for on demand scan only ( without real-time and aditional protecions)

22. trilogy

trilogy Registered Member

I actually have the same question as Baldrick. However, I already have some dedicated Anti Spyware applications (Spy Sweeper, XoftSpy, S&D), so I don't really care whether TH and/or Ewido has this functionality. All I want is a reliable anti-trojan application I can depend on. Which of the two would you choose? Would having both on your system be a good idea??

23. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

You can use two memory scanning ATs at the same time if you wish. But that doesn't mean it is a good idea - one should be sufficient.

Since you are trialling both TH and Ewido I shall refrain from recommending which one I prefer because it is only opinion and you are best placed to know which works best on your system. I would just say that a realtime guard able to intercept baddies in memory before they get going, has to be better than just relying on periodic demand scans.

Ewido does have a free version, which lacks the guard, but TH has no free version.

24. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    I think it really depends on your own taste and what suites you best. Both of them are great and very popular and has a very good reputations. ;)

For trojans...then that really depends on your own surfing habits and possibly by accidents that we sometimes got them unexpectedly. And just like any other accidents, well, we really have no clue on what kind of Trojans or malwares that our pc could possibly get. :'( :doubt:

25. No User Name

No User Name Registered Member

Ewido Rocks!!!

I can only speak by from experience and I can only vote for Ewido. Ewido is still available for FREE manual updates, manual scans and malware removal. The only thing is the process guard will not work after the free trial expires and that is fine with me because I use Spyware Doctor's process guard anyway. I also read that Ewido's process guard uses up a lot of pc resources and slows a pc down. As for TrojanHunter, I can't say anything positive about it except the negatives are it costs a lot of money. Does TH work as a free stand alone scanner and crap remover after the free trial expires? Can you manually update it for free like Spybot and Ewido and use it to remove crap?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.