TrojanHunter 3.0 Released!

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by Magnus Mischel, Jan 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Magnus Mischel

Magnus Mischel Security Expert

I am proud to announce the immediate availability of TrojanHunter 3.0! This version is a major upgrade of TrojanHunter 2.54, with brand new technology, a slick new interface, and a lot of exciting new features. This is the most powerful version of TrojanHunter ever, and if you liked TrojanHunter 2.5, I'm sure you'll love version 3. Haven't tried TrojanHunter yet? Now is the perfect time to grab the evaluation copy for a trial.

Download the 30-day evaluation version and try TrojanHunter 3.0 today!

Screenshot (standard mode): http://www.misec.net/images/TrojanHunter.png
    Screenshot (advanced mode): http://www.misec.net/images/TrojanHunterAdv.png
    Download: http://www.misec.net/products/TrojanHunter.exe

Note to registered users: TrojanHunter 3.0 is a free upgrade to all registered TrojanHunter users. The program uses a new licensing system, so you will need to download a new license file. Using our new eCommerce system you can automatically retrieve your new license file via e-mail. Simply visit http://www.misec.net/support/licensefile/ and follow the instructions.

What's new in TrojanHunter 3.0?
    ===============================
    - Completely new user interface
    - Heuristic scanning
    - Improved Guard with reduced memory usage
    - Script checker for scanning scripts, html files, bat files and more
    - Ability to import/export rules to/from text format
    - UPX unpacking
    - TrojanHunter Command Line scanner for automated batch scanning
    - Improved LiveUpdate utility
    - Arbitrarily many rule files can be loaded
    - ...plus lots, lots more. Download the trial version and see for yourself!

2. root

root Registered Member

Hi Magnus. I'm downloading it now. I'm a little curious about the various rules. Can you give me a quick explanation on what the rules are all about. Or will it be self explanatory once I get it installed?

3. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

I notice when trying to update my v2.54 today that it now requires v3, I take it that v2.54 is now unsupported?

4. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Seems the right conclusion, Tinribs.

As for this new version: W98/M.E users will encounter some problems (freezing up). I'm rather sure the author is aware of this, and will tackle the prob.

regards.

paul

5. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi Paul,

I just noticed this was fixed in a new version:
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,5725737~root=security,1~mode=flat

Regards,

Pieter

6. marti

marti Registered Member

TH 3.01 has fixed the two major complaints: freezing on Win9X systems and not honoring the "ignore" feature. I'm happy. :D

7. Magnus Mischel

Magnus Mischel Security Expert

root:

Detection rules are what TrojanHunter uses to detect trojans. TrojanHunter is built on a very nice framework, so if you wanted to you could even make it detect e.g. spyware if you created the appropriate rules. There is some information in the help file, and there will soon be a tutorial available at misec.net. Check out the "Detection Rules" forum for the announcement.

8. root

root Registered Member

Ok, Thanks Magnus. :D

9. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Same as Root: I just downloaded it and will "play" with it in the coming days (if I have the opportunity). I know, I should have done so long ago.....

10. JacK

JacK Registered Member

Re:TrojanHunter 3.0 Released! a/t Magnus

Hello,

I encounter a slight problem with Watchdog : As i randomize
    the name of the *.exe on boot, no way to white- or black-list when running a startup manager like SSM.

Best regards,

11. jamming

jamming Guest

Well Jack, that is fortunately the point ;)

The randomized name makes it hard to be detected, to be shut down by a trojan's code. If it was easy to catagorize then it would be easy to detect.

12. JacK

JacK Registered Member

lool The point of Watchdog is to warn if a trojan tries or kills the process : if no trojan can find it and try to kill, no need to let it turn :)

13. jamming

jamming Guest

The trojan would not target the random Watchdog, though it would want to. The Trojan would target the resident TH Guard, which the Watchdog Alerts for when The Guard is terminated by whatever function.

Sorry if I wasn't clear the first time ;)

14. mr.mark

mr.mark Guest

i've been running a couple of evaluation copies of TrojanHunter for the last week or two.

i've had ample time to test the program on three operating systems... winxp home, win2000 and win98se. i began with v2.54 and subsequently upgraded to v3.0 and then v3.01.

i've encountered minor probs here and there, some due to program updates and some due to operator (moi) error or lack of knowledge. <g> the minor program bugs were addressed very quickly and very efficiently, i.e, they were fixed right away!

the tech support i have received from magnus and from the folks on the TH forum has been superb. i am super happy with the product AND with the support.

i purchased a 2 user license tonight.

:)

mark

15. Randy_Bell

Randy_Bell Registered Member

I agree with you, mark: outstanding tech support and excellent versatile rules-based product. The only two minor glitches I'ver observed, which remain to be fixed, are: (1) on Win9x and Me systems, when you rclick on the systray icon and select "run TrojanHunter scanner", nothing happens'' and (2) when trojans are detected with a manual scan, the 'Clean Trojans' display window has black icons beside the trojans (unlike the multicolored icons in the trojans list). Both are very minor glitches. :D

16. mr.mark

mr.mark Guest

hey randy

TH is definitely a product i can grow into, as i start to learn about adding port, process and registry rules. there's a lot a user can do with TH if he or she is so inclined.

and for the "set and forget" group, there doesn't seem to be much potential for messing up or leaving oneself underprotected.

i feel pretty good about my decision to try TH out for a while, then to make my purchase. it has worked out well so far.

:)

mark

17. wiseguy

wiseguy Registered Member

You got that right!! :'( :mad:

18. ReGen

ReGen Registered Member

If you like TH so much wiseguy, maybe you should actually purchase it then upgrade to the improved V3.0, instead of constantly complaining that your copy of 2.54 can no longer be updated.

http://www.misec.net/forum/?board=TrojanHunter;action=display;num=1043284332
    http://www.misec.net/forum/?board=TrojanHunter;action=display;num=1043355195

Just a thought!

19. wiseguy

wiseguy Registered Member

I do think TH is a Great Program!

TDS-3 is the Ultimate, but a little to intense for me at this time.

TH2.54 is just right! :D
    TH3.0 will be even a better program! :cool:

20. Tuulilapsi

Tuulilapsi Registered Member

Actually, I've never had this problem on ME. The "run TrojanHunter scanner" option works perfectly. :)

21. Jerry666

Jerry666 Registered Member

great ! no more false reports of open ports !

22. :DI have been "Quitely" Trialing TH for 3 days now, and before I make any decsion, I intend to fully try it out for the full 30 days. It's nice, and the forums seem very informative.. I also like the way it detects trojans...

Magnus, I don't want to make any hasty decisons, you'll hear from me in 27 days if I decide to buy!!!

PS.. Very Stable on my Computer, so far...

23. jamming

jamming Guest

I hope to hear from you Straight Shooter when you decide to buy Trojan Hunter ;) Whether you choose to or not, I hope that you find your experience at our Forum over there to be a good one.

24. Thanks, at this point I have had absolutely no problems with TH and it works great.. It looks positive...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.