Trojan Zlob

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by ugly, May 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

...either that or detection is added later on priority basis :D

2. pykko

pykko Registered Member

Well, do you know me the one praising NOD32 for things it doesn't do?
    I've always posted whenever they missed something that I thought might be detected...anyway it's just a supposition that those files are corrupted.
    Taking into consideration the big number of defs for Zlobs ESET added and the heuristic engine they should detect them because they are anyway old...for 5-6 days. :)

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

What do you mean by they are old for x days ?

4. pykko

pykko Registered Member

Firecat said his samples are older.... he found them immediately as this thread "died" = no screenshot posted.

5. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Yep, my samples are older. Confirmed that few of the samples are corrupted; very few are undetected though. IMO its nothing to worry about since these older variants can no longer be obtained as all the files have been updated with the latest variant.

I've had word that all variants of Zlob are not known to anybody; it is only important to detect the latest variants.

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

No comment:

I am writing to you on behalf of DIGITAL MEDIA DEVELOPERS.
    Why does your AV detec our software as
    "Win32/TrojanDownloader.Zlob.UR"? There must be mistake.

7. Firecat

The Inspector got a similar message from the developer. Maybe someone should give him a nice, angry reply and tell him to get his lawyers ready!

8. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

LMAO, the hide of some people :blink: :blink: :blink:

9. pykko

pykko Registered Member

Of course, a big mistake. :D :D They should have been in jail, but they're not. :p (just joknig of course)
    It's sad they are pushing AV companies to remove detection for their software.
    Maybe "producers" of MyDoom or Netsky will have the same brilliant ideea in the future. :D

10. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

Don't be putting ideas in their heads!

11. Firecat

There is no way he'll ever push a vendor successfully to remove detection. This is because he knows he'll get himself wiped on the floor if he threatens legal action, and since the files are really malware, no vendor is going to remove detection unless legal action may be threatened.

In this case, the malware writer is trying to play the dummy, but is having really bad luck.

12. steve1955

I doubt any body could legally make any AV or security software vendor remove detection of any file,malware or not!because in the end whether or not that detection is heeded or acted on is at the discretion of the end user(if Nod detected parts of windows as malware I doubt even Microsoft would threaten legal action!)

13. Firecat

If what you say is correct, there is a certain WGA tool I would like to see detected as spyware....;):D

14. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

One thing are false positives and another are correct detections.

15. steve1955

What would that be I wonder lol

16. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

@ Tony.D.,

I have split your post and other posts concerning this matter to a separate thread. Please follow the below link for further details.

This thread---> Detection of our software by Nod32

17. ugly

ugly Registered Member

Inspector's MAXIMUS is doing a very good job in detecting zlob trojans.:D
    AntiVir seems to have the secret too.:ninja:
    I would like to see a good heuristic detection on NOD32 too.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2006
  18. Suggers

Suggers Guest

Yes, Antivir seems to have had the secret for weeks, now F-prot has been doing really good lately.
    I haven't seen many generic detections by nod32 for awhile with the zlobs, so perhaps they are just adding signatures for the zlobs they receive now instead of making a generic?

Suggers

19. Firecat

Basically pretty much every good AV is detecting all the Zlobs on regular basis.

Some vendors like BitDefender and Dr.Web are collecting Zlobs and adding signatures for all those only every 2-3 days, so you don't see detection immediately. Some vendors are able to detect it heuristically or generically. NOD32 is getting detection via variant detection and separate signatures which is good enough.

20. Suggers

Suggers Guest

The problem is the sites distributing zlobs usually change the versions/variants they are distributing up to several times per day, so by the time signatures are realased that variant won't even be downloaded anymore. But it's the same for most AV's; a constant game of catch-up.

21. Marcos

What is this provoking good for? It's a matter of fact that Zlobs are modified on a daily basis to evade detection. However, IMON BLOCKS the urls with Zlobs so you are fully protected unless you intentionally run cracks with Zlob embedded!

I could post here a couple of screenshots where NOD32 is one of the 3 or 4 AVs to detect Zlob proactively without update.

22. ugly

ugly Registered Member

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: PROVOKING?!?!?:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
    A common sense answer to my question : We do not heave a generic detection for Zlobs but we are workink on it !
    Are you sure IMON BLOCKS the urls with zlobs o_O?
    I sent you on 15.09.2006 the url for strcodec.414.exe and a few seconds ago I was eable to download a brand new one without any reaction from NOD. Should I post a virustotal analyse about it ? Of course no. My post will be imediately deleted beacose it is not a HIP HIP URAAA for NOD32.
    This is not the reaction I expect from someone working for ESET when it is clear to all there is a problem.
    What you do not seems to realise is that people (like me) are postig here only beacose they DO CARE about NOD32 , eventualy PROVOKING it to be the best on the market.
    Best regards.

23. Suggers

Suggers Guest

This thread is widely participated in and very interesting, but I've noticed there are comments around the site relating to zlobs with other antiviruses and the issue of zlobs is interesting to all, not just nod32 users.

Also, what can now be posted on this thread is heavily controlled/moderated with comments and screenshots being deleted and modified, to me the only purpose of this thread being in an official support forum would be to discuss detection, but we can't do this anymore; so perhaps it could be moved to a more appropriate forum, e.g. "other anti-virus" or "malware problems" ??
    Regards,
    Suggers

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2006
  24. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

To all:

With respect to the posting of individual snapshots in time of detection, the site policy on this is clear, see here. With those comments in mind, a relocation of the thread is not the answer.

Blue

25. Marcos

I apologize, I could not open that url with Strcodec so I've been under the impression that it's already blocked, but it was apparently for another reason. I'll look into it and make sure this is accomplished ASAP.

ESET creates generic signatures for all Zlobs, but we do not detect the envelope as some others do, and subsequenlty produce false positives as well on legit installers (a well known is HP codec if I reckon well). Our detection is based on real analysis of the code, and we do not flag just the installers themselves that may be used for legit files as well. As you might know, we always strive for not producing FPs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.