trojan vundo

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Clueless1234, Dec 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clueless1234

Clueless1234 Registered Member

Hey everyone...
    I'm new to this forum, and like my username says, pretty clueless when it comes to computers and viruses.

I've recently got some sort of virus which HouseCall has detected as TrojanVundo, but it cant seem to delete or cure it. I get all these weird pop ups, and my explorer keeps crashing and comp is just generally slow and has a mind of its own.

Please can anyone here explain how i can safely remove the virus?

Apologies if i;ve posted this in the wrong section.

Thank you in advance :)

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

3. Clueless1234

Hey thank you for such a quick response. However, b4 i read the reply i downloaded malwarebytes on to my computer the free one and its scanning atm. my internet connection is obviously stil on. is this a bad idea?

4. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

AFAIK MBAM can kill it if it detects it, no need to disconnect for that :)

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

IMO, you should always disconnect from the Internet to prevent any virus from defeating the program you're using, but now that it's running, let's see what MBAM finds.

6. Clueless1234

gosh it took me a few seconds to figure out what all those abbreviations meant lol, u can see exaclty how clueless i am. Thank u so much for the help...it's still scanning. so far I have 45 infected objects :S

This site is really cool. I gotta say you guys are awesome!!!

7. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

For help with abbreviations, see Acronym Finder. Sounds like MBAM is doing its job, so far.

8. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

Quick Scan should be enough in MBAM by the way, it scans all the needed locations w/o wasting hours scanning whole hard drive for dormant threats.

Just remember to check for updates via Updates tab before scanning so it has the latest threat database available.

9. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Good point, lordpake! :thumb: Looks like this PC might have more than Vundo yet MBAM should restore its functionality.

10. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

Thank you, Yet i havent done anything ^_^

You could also try scanning with SuperAntiSpyware, -

http://www.superantispyware.com/

11. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Not could but he must use SAS right after he removed w/e with MBAM - they both are needed on infected systems! Also drwebcureit is a good idea as third opinion.

12. Someone

Someone Registered Member

The poster could also try VundoFix right?

13. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

It just so happens I just spent a day removing Vundo from my Daughters computer. You don't say what anti-virus you're using. I installed Avast! on her computer after it got infected, and it went into a boot scan and found 77 instances of Vundo. Then I scanned with Superantispyware which by the way kept shooting a pop up at me saying I was infected. That found more instances. Then I did a quick scan with Malwarebytes and it got the last of vundo. Don't delete the infections from the quarantine in your scanning applications until you look at each infection. If vundo was attached to a Sysytem32 file, don't delete it, just leave it in quarantine. If you delete it you'll also be deleting a system file and you'll be in deep s**t.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.