Trojan Trap and NOD32 conflict in XP

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by linney, Aug 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. linney

linney Registered Member

I am trialling NOD32 after long suffering with Mcafee virus scan. When I run NOD with Tiny's Trojan Trap and open IE6 the machine reboots without any error message (despite auto restart being switched off). Also when I type DrWatson in the Run Box and press OK the machine reboots with no error messages.

If I remove Trojan Trap then everything is fine. My question is if there is any known conflict between the two programs.

2. wizard

wizard Registered Member

Tiny Trojan Trap (or Secure4U) has a lot of conflicts with other software. Most of them can be resolved by a more detailed configuration of TTT but this needs some knowledge about the system and what requirements the software (in this case NOD32) has.

wizard

3. linney

linney Registered Member

Thankyou for your reply. I only ever ran Trojan Trap in "Easy Mode" and placed everything to do with NOD32 in "Unrestricted Application". This seemed to work with Mcafee when I used that program.

My problem is that any 2 of NOD32, IE6 or Trojan Trap will work together just not all 3.

I have checked my memory dump for any clues as to my error and it is a Stop Error.......The bugcheck was: 0x1000007f (0x00000008, 0x80042000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000). Alas there is not a lot of information at Microsoft, Google or elsewhere on the net about this one.

4. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

There's a section devoted to TTT over at dslreports - sorry, don't remember the url (perhaps Bubs can chip in here?)

5. bubs

bubs Registered Member

Hi.

Smart move going from McF to NOD.

Am not aware of TTT having 'lots of conflicts with other software' - in fact hardly any. o_O

All software has bugs, tho, and the Tiny team are very helpful when it comes to bug fixes.

What version of TTT are you running - 3.0.0, 3.0.3 or what? Go to admin tool / help / about admin tool, and you'll see a scrolling screen which tells you. They don't advertise bug fixes and version updates on their web site, but they do happen. As I recall, the latest version is 3.0.5. I've stuck with 3.03 'coz its stable on my systems.

I'm don't run XP, but have never had problems with the combination of IE6, NOD32 & TTT (&TDS-3, & Outpost Pro) on win2k or NT4.

One other thought - what firewall do you run? Are you sure its not that?

Check & see if you're running the most recent version. if not, download it & try it. If you've still got problems, post at http://www.dslreports.com/forum/kerio . (The forum is in fact a Tiny & Kerio support forum - not just Kerio) I suggest you include the word 'bug' in your post. One of the guys from Tiny should be along to check it out. You can also try a bug reporting email to 'support@tinysoftware.com. They have been very slow at reacting to such msgs in the past, but seem to have hired a new guy for support just recently.

Stick with it - the combo you're trying is one I've found very effective, very stable, and very light on resources. :cool:

As to the config you're got - sounds fine. I run the whole thing more or less 'straight out of the box'. If I trust an app enough to install it, it either goes oin the preconfigured mail clinet or browser settings if it's one of those, or in 'unrestricted' if it doesn't talk to the internet. Others have tweaked for weeks and weeks - I haven't bothered! :D

Please come back if you need any further help.

6. wizard

wizard Registered Member

Good to hear that the Tiny team is helpfull. :) GDATA who sold Secure4U before it became TTT never released any updates for it. :(

wizard

7. linney

linney Registered Member

Thankyou for the help. I will try the latest version of TTT and see what that does. I will post back with the results.

8. linney

linney Registered Member

Sadly I have the same problem with TTT version 3.05 installed. Removing the firewall did not help.

On a brighter note I at least got Drwatson exe to stop crashing the computer by placing NTVDM.exe in "Unrestricted Applications".

This gives me new hope that I might find a similar solution to get IE6 and NOD32 to work with Trojan Trap.

I will try my luck with Tiny Software Support too. Thanks for the help.

9. bubs

bubs Registered Member

Hi Linney.

I'm curious - why and how was NTVDM.exe anywhere other than 'unrestricted'o_O??

IE should be in IE, NOD32 should be 'unrestricted'. I wonder if your problems stem from restrictions being placed on apps which should be given free reign, and which need free reign to execute correctly.

Also, have another look at the way you have configured your directories - have you done something which is tying a lassoo round your O/S?

Have you downloaded and digested the TPF3.0 manual yet? (Sorry if that's a dumb question!) Just ignore the 'firewall' parts of the manual - in all other respects it is 'pure TTT'. Whilst it is not greatly different to the TTT1.0 manual, it is the up to date version.

10. linney

linney Registered Member

NTVDM.Exe was not in any application group despite Trojan Trap scanning the computer for applications. I only found that Drwatson wanted it via a brief glimpse of the Activity Log a split second before a crash. Once I moved it there Drwatson was happy. I can offer no explanation as to why the initial scan didn't pick it up.

Like I mentioned before all my programs are in Unrestricted Applications. I currently have reached a compromise with IE6 (and also now Outlook Express which I discovered had the same fault when I sent emails to Support at Tiny and Eset). I have reached a compromise where everything works if I dont select the "File Guard" option in execution settings for IE and Outlook Express. Ofcourse this isn't a real solution as my security is useless. At least the computer is not crashing. I just hope Tiny take pity on me and reply.

11. bubs

bubs Registered Member

In easy mode / directories, you can see which directories you have as 'unprotected' and 'confidential'.

Have you got a directory configured as 'confidential' to which IE & OE need access in order to function?

12. linney

linney Registered Member

"Bubs". Thanks with your effort to help me. Basically this an out of the box setup run in "Easy Mode". Apart from the alterations mention in the above posts I haven't changed anything. I have only one confidential folder and that has nothing in it. And one Unrestricted downloads folder with nothing in it.

Just re-itterating IE and OE will function normally if I scrub one of either NOD32 or Trojan Trap, or I can run all 4 if I switch off "file guard" check box in "executive settings" of Trojan Trap for IE and OE..

Still no acknowledgement from Tiny or Eset to email.

13. bubs

bubs Registered Member

If you're not using the 'file guard' feature, then your problem most defintiely sounds like a bug...... :mad: I'll IM you

14. linney

linney Registered Member

Problem solved.....reformat, re-install XP, load NOD32 then Trojan Trap. Thanks for everyones help. A special thanks to "Bubs" for the time , effort and links which helped solve my problem. :)

15. bubs

bubs Registered Member

OU@ch - well at least it was not an NT4 re-install :D

Sounds like you / the AV apps got your registry in a tangle somewhere along the line.

A small config suggestion: put your data directories in 'confidential', and create a an 'unrestricted' 'downloads' directory for IE to use.

If you download / upload any files, you will have to loop them thru the airlock you have now created, but it will now be impossible for any app which talks to the internet (and therefore has restrictions placed on it) to get access to your data.

For me, this is one of the most important advantages of the sandbox concept.

Glad you're back on the road. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.