Trojan Hunter, WormGuard, etc.

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by SG1, May 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

Have downloaded a no. of security programs and have been slowly trying them, to see how things get along on my PC: next will be Trojan Hunter, then WormGuard.
    Does either Trojan Hunter, or WormGuard, deal with *protecting your PC from e-mail nasties*(?)
    I've been using NOD32 trial ver. lately, which has option re MS mailer use/protection (though I normally use different mailer), and I wonder if I tried Trojan Hunter, or WormGuard, do one or both programs also "get into the act" re e-mail protection - *and might I be setting things up for any potential conflicts* that anyone is aware of, if I get too many programs checking e-mail all at once?
    Thanks for any help/info. SG1 (Pat)

2. Patrice

Patrice Registered Member

Hi SG1,

you could have posted this question about Wormguard in the appropriate forum. Wormguard doesn't exactly do what you are asking, but it protects you from attachments which were sent by email. It searches for malicious code and stops the execution if it finds some. After such an alert you can open the file in a secure way, so that you're computer won't be infected if it would be malicious.

Hope that helps you out so far! ;)

Regards,

Patrice

3. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi Pat,
    what might be interesting to know WG does run all invisible in the background, besides about any other program, not using resources till it's hook jumps up at an alert.
    The alert gives information why the file is blocked and gives opportunity to look deeper into it in the safe mode (in the source) and decide to block or run it any way.
    Besides this it does many other things for your security, blocking malicious code from websites, etc etc.
    It saved my computer's life various times.
    It's not only for attachments, but files, downloads, files which might be somewhere in your temp folders like websites you visited and maybe unknowingly took nasty code with you, etc etc.

I'm used to the DCS software which i can tell about and for which you see here at Wilders and in my signature the specific forums.
    There is a new WG4 in the build (no need to wait for that as the current one is wonderful already and registered users are upgraded anyway) with more options and even more functionality.
    There is a new version for TDS-4 and some new TDS-family members in the build too. I can tell you the email scanning is high on people's wishlists. DCS does listen a lot to their users, of course and surprises us a lot with the nicests new unexpected tools, we love and didn't even know those functions were possible at all.
    I'm not sure when TDS-4 will be ready for beta testing or which functions are integrated in which family member.
    I can only advice to take all your time to shop around and look for different tools you might like to try on your own system and they work together.
    In Port Explorer you see in one blink of the eye all the emails you open with calling home and other hidden connections which you can block and spy on if you like, and which i wouldn't like to miss at all anymore (people really should look for the next version after the weekend with a couple of very new and nice functions).
    So email security? You've tested a few fine pieces of software already and have a few fine additions at hand so do test and take your time patiently!
    And indeed, for the wormguard part continue in that special forum here at Wilders ! Thanks!@ and goood luck with trying them all!

4. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Wormguard will block at least 99.5% of script worms you could be sent. EXE worms are more tricky, especially when you have runtime EXE packers in the equation, but your antivirus alongside Wormguard should do a good job :)

5. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

I like mailwasher and benign for my email protection
    They are both seen very good

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.