Trojan Hunter wont update w/NOD32 ver 2 ???

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by GuruGuy, Jun 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GuruGuy

GuruGuy Guest

I know a Trojan Hunter update is available and it will NOT update via TH Live Update. I keep getting a message that the "Downloaded update file is corrupted: File is only 524 bytes"...........this problem started for me after installing NOD32 version 2.

Has anyone else that is running NOD32 ver 2 been able to download and install (via live update) a new ruleset?

Trying to figure out if this is a TH issue or NOD32 ver 2 issue................Thanks.

2. marti

marti Registered Member

I turn AMON off before I run the TH Live Update program; if I leave it on, the LU hangs. See this thread: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=10222

3. GuruGuy

GuruGuy Guest

Thanks Marti. Glad I'm not the only one with this problem.

4. GuruGuy

GuruGuy Guest

Update: Just tried it twice with AMON disabled and it still gave me the same error message. Either there is something up with the TH server or NOD32 ver 2 will not let me download TH updates via live update.

5. Harold77

Harold77 Registered Member

TH live update seemed to hangup for me also with the "finding HTTP header" message, so I opened the NOD32 tray icon, selected Imon and under Setup checked the Repair Network Commuications box, told it to Repair now and then rebooted.

After reboot is took only a few seconds to tell me I already had the most recent update.:)

6. RAV

RAV Guest

I have had issues updating TH 3.5 for several weeks now with or without NOD32. TH really needs additional download sites for updates or the program is useless. I am looking for a new anti-trojan program because of this.

NOD32 2 is excellent! I am currently on trial mode and it runs perfect with the new ZAP 4. How is the new NOD at finding trojans. Do I really need Trojan Hunter. I have never had one yet.

7. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

this is weird just tried the update on TH
    after the newest Nod32 update and i get the same
    thing.....let it sit for 6 mins see attached*

Attached Files:

8. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

i wish these two peices of software would jive together
    its really gettin me down dudes.. :cool:

9. tosbsas

tosbsas Registered Member

same problem here - win2k

Ruben

10. marti

marti Registered Member

I have been living with this problem since I first installed NOD (version 1) last year in September or October. The problem continue during the time that I ran the beta and now with Version 2.

I disable AMON, download the TH update, and then enable AMON. TH live update does work with AMON enabled, but it is painfully slow.

11. RAV

RAV Guest

TH Live update is painfully slow for me even without NOD32 on my machine. I have a 2 user license and have basically disabled it since the updates are very hard to get. When TH Live update runs, my CPU usage goes way up (100%) and stays that way until the download occurs (which can take a while if ever). I am all for a layered defense, but I would really like it if NOD32 2 could catch the majority of trojans. Anyone know how it compares? I decided to give NOD 32 Version 2 a try and I think I will purchase since it really runs great on my machine. Very nice program indeed.

12. MegaHertz

MegaHertz Registered Member

Before everyone blames anything on NOD32 or TH Liveupdate. I did a ping on the TH Liveupdate server and it appears to be down.

Attached Files:

• ping.gif
      ping.gif
      File size:
      12 KB
      Views:
  13. marti

marti Registered Member

I just tried TH live update, the server is not down, but it's very slow.

There are two possible update sites:

IP range 130.236.0.0 - 130.236.255.255
    IP range 213.112.0.0 - 213.115.255.255

14. MegaHertz

Is that second IP range correct that seems like an awfully big block of IP's for an update server? Live update has always used that particular IP on my machine so I wrongly assumed it was the only one my apologies. I did try to ping some other IP's in the first range and all are experincing a 100% loss for the moment. Thanks for the info Marti.

15. marti

marti Registered Member

MegaHertz,

I have the IP ranges documented, as I need them for my firewall configuration. I realize that not everyone has their firewalls setup like mine; therefore, most folks won't have a list of TH LU IP ranges handy.

On the second block, I'll have to disable part of my firewall configuration, but I'll be happy to do for verification.

16. MegaHertz

I'll take your word for it I just thought it odd that it is such a broad range.

17. marti

marti Registered Member

too late, I just messed up my configuration to verify the range, it's what I said above: 213.112.0.0 - 213.115.255.255

18. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Same problem here, I tried to disable Amon and also Zone Alarm but I does the same thing.
    The CPU usage also goes up to 100% when trying to update
    TH.

19. GuruGuy

GuruGuy Guest

Marti,
    Sorry, but disabling AMON does NOT work for me. Unlike you, I never had this problem with NOD32 ver 1. TH always worked perfectly fine...........not until NOD32 ver 2 did this problem start for me. Like several of the others have said, it is very, very, slow..........once the "downoading update file" screen appears, it sits for a couple of minutes with no progress bar moving across (as it used to do), and then the error message pops up "Downloaded update file corrupted: File is only 524 bytes".

This appears to be NOD intercepting it in some sort of way and blocking it from coming into the machine...........this is with AMON on or off for me.

FYI: Tried it again this morning and got the same results!

20. RAV

RAV Guest

I also run ZAP 3.5 and now 4.0 along with NOD32 on one machine and ZAP 3.5 and Etrust EZ AV on another machine. Both machines have Trojan Hunter Live Update issues as described by others (high CPU usage and slowwww or no downloads). I don't think that this issue is isolated to NOD32 users.

21. Longthing

Longthing Registered Member

Had no problems with the last update but at the moment cannot connect to the updateserver.

Also i get an Internet Server Error trying to vissit their website at www.trojanhunter.com

22. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

This is really and truly not looking like a NOD v.2 problem folks.

If you're following the thread at the TH forum: http://www.misec.net/forum/?board=TrojanHunter;action=display;num=1055552382 (which I'm having no trouble getting to, BTW) - you'll see that.

I'm betting either a server problem on the TH side, or an Internet "backbone" problem somewhere along the line.

(I've been wrong a time or three, too, though! <g> ). Pete

23. douglasjh

douglasjh Guest

You are correct spy1 (and others).
    I don't use NOD, and I cannot update TH.

Regards,
    Douglas

24. GuruGuy

GuruGuy Guest

The question is though, is everyone getting the same symptoms as I described above, or are you just not able to connect to the live update server?

25. MegaHertz

Guys Magnus just fixed the problem it was indeed a server issue. I just ran the update and it worked as before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.