trojan horse dialer

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by conny, Aug 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. conny

conny Guest

:'( Please help...

How do i remove a trojan horse dialer from my file:
    C:\ system volume information\_restore{.......

Please , need help, nothing works.....like it should

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

You can not remove a virus or Trojan file from that area yourself. Nor can you let your Anti-Virus or Anti-Trojan do it. That is the System Restore area and it is locked so it doesn't become corrupted (deleting files from there would corrupt it).

What you need to do is cycle (disable and restart) System Restore so that it'll emtpy out all files in that folder and start fresh.

Here are some instructions on do this:

http://vil.nai.com/vil/SystemHelpDocs/DisableSysRestore.htm

3. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Just a follow up... Since you only asked about removing the file from the restore area (and cycling it as noted above will fix that), I did not ask anything about how you knew you had it there or if you had any other copies anywhere else...

I assume you did a virus scan and it said you had a copy in that _restore area but it couldn't clean or delete it. The above will handle that, but, have you scanned all the rest of your system for other copies of that trojan horse? Did you scan and clean it previously?

I just want to make sure you've killed it all. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.