Tried restore, 3rd DVD of 4 yields "corrupt archive" Can I still explore?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Blocked, Jul 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blocked

Blocked Registered Member

I have a four DVD system partition image, when I try to restore it tells me the third DVD has a corrupt image, which prevents me from restoring.

Will I be able to load all 4 dvd's into a disk file and explore; i.e, recover as many files as I can?

The reason I ask is that I'll have to buy a new disk drive to get enough free space to load all 4 DVD's, as I've built a new OS. If there's hope, I'll do it.

Will I be able to explore the three good DVD's?
    Will I be able to explore parts of the 'bad' DVD?

Thanks in advance

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

My guess is that you won't know until you try. You might consider an external USB2 drive. It's great for backups and is something that any serious computer user should have.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Blocked,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We regret to inform you that Acronis True Image doesn't allow you to explore the image that is stored on several CDs or DVDs. However, you may explore the image if you copy all parts of it to a single folder on the hard drive. If the image is corrupted you may try to explore it and sometimes it can be explored. In this case you will be able to copy almost all the files you have in the image.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

4. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

That's the way to go these days. :) Backing up to DVD with TI seems to be inconsistent at best - from the many reports here. The original poster would have better luck with the external hd, then if he has to have DVD backup, he should backup to the hd in 4gig sized files which can then be burned to DVD. I know it is a little more work, but worth the effort considering the problems backing up directly to DVD.

5. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

I keep hearing these reports of corrupt DVD images, which seems quite strange to me. To anybody who has had the problem, does a surface scan of the DVD with DVD Info Pro indicate any bad sectors? Also, what is the manufacturer of the disc? (Also available via DVD Info Pro... and this is not necessarily the same as what label is on the package)

6. Blocked

Can you read difficult DVD's with DVD Info Pro? Found the package, but couldn't find help or user's guide.

I've also heard IsoBuster is good for reading questionable DVD's. Which would you prefer?

7. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

The point of DVD Info Pro is to determine if the DVD in question has bad sectors. If you know for sure that the disc has bad sectors (and therefore the problem is completely out of the scope of the ATI software), then I would recommend ISOBuster to attempt recovery. However, such a recovered file would likely fail any sort of CRC check, so I'm not sure if anything would be recoverable from that image.

8. Blocked

Got it!

The 3rd DVD had CRC errors and couldn't be copied into the disk folder with the other 3 files. I used CDCheck, which inserts zeros when it encounters bad sectors, to copy the "unreadable" 3rd tib into the disk folder with the other tib's.

Now I can explore the image.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.