TRial vesions of AV: Which can coexist with others?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Howard Kaikow, Mar 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

I'd sure like to try the trial version of some AV software, but I can only use a trial if it can be installed and ten uninstalled WITHOUT affecting the currently installed version of NAV or MCAfee.

Can any AV software so peacefully co-exist?

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i know avast and nod32 can work together, but for norton/mcafee, im not sure.

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

How do you have the two set up? I assume that Avast is normally disabled and is used as a back-up scanner. Is that correct?

Thanks,
    Jerry

4. WSFuser

in using that combo, i just disabled all of avasts monitors except p2p, im, and network shield.

5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks.
    Jerry

6. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

I've had more than one AV installed on my PC on several occasions including now. What you should really do to avoid conflicts is, to not only disable guards etc, but actually shutdown all the running/update etc services etc in msconfig in the current one. Then you can install and run the other AV and try it for however long you like, or within the trial time if it's a paid one. Flipping back and forth between them is just a matter of using msconfig etc for them both.

Some AV's may not like it for various reasons, so it might be a gamble, but i've had no problems doing this. Non were NAV or MCAfee though !

StevieO

7. Randy_Bell

Randy_Bell Registered Member

Norton and McAfee are like the Hatfields and the McCoys, if you catch my drift! :D :D

8. Benvan45

Benvan45 Registered Member

What's the use of using this combo if you disable most of Avast? Don't you think Nod32 covers enough? Do you think that the limited Avast adds anything this way to Nod32?
    Just wondering. I would prefer a backup on-demand scanner in your case, but on the other hand......I use Nod32 as the only AV scanner and that should do the trick, as far as I'm concerned.

9. RAV

RAV Registered Member

I use Ewido free as a backup scanner for NOD32. IMO, there is very little that could get buy this combo.

10. MojoWorkin

MojoWorkin Registered Member

I've tried a lot of "trial" software in the last year, and from my own experience, here's what I've found:
    Panda Software will conflict with Avast.
    Avast was installed first, and Panda was added. (falsely detects Avast's signature files as Virus)
    NOD32 will conflict with Zone Alarm w/AV or Security Suite.
    Zone Alarm was resident first and installed NOD32, initial scan detects 3 files as "possible" trojans, and wants to remove. I was stoopid and let it. (Just reinstalled everything last night.)
    Also, it was difficult to remove all of AMON registry entries after uninstalling both.

Maybe not a very detailed list, but maybe it can keep another headache at bay.
    Peace

11. WSFuser

i no longer use that combo...but when i did, i thought it would be neat to have avast scan my p2p folders and maybe the network shield could protect me comp. and of course, i used it for on-demand scans.
    avast also conflicts with the KAV engine and iirc mcafee av too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.