Trial Version Update Problems

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by puff-m-d, Sep 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hello all,

I just installed the trial version of NOD32 but I can not get it to update. I always get one of two errors: 1) server connection failure or 2) asks for my user name and password. I have uninstalled and reinstalled but the problem persists. On the information window it says I still have 30 days left on my trial but it just will not update. I hope someone can help me with this as I used to have NOD32 up until about 5 months ago and want to try the HTTP scanner out before I consider purchasing again.

Regards,
    Kent

2. Howard

Howard Registered Member

If you check out the thread https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=47236 you will see a number of us are currently experiencing problems with the update servers.

3. puff-m-d

Here is my log:

Time Module Event User
    09/09/2004 7:51:05 AM Update Function: DownloadAuthorization, parameters: , return value: 401
    09/09/2004 7:51:05 AM Update Update attempt failed (Incorrect username or password.)
    09/09/2004 7:43:09 AM Update Error connecting to server u2a.eset.com.
    09/09/2004 7:28:59 AM Update Update attempt failed (Server connection failure)
    09/09/2004 7:04:15 AM Update Function: DownloadAuthorization, parameters: , return value: 401
    09/09/2004 7:04:15 AM Update Update attempt failed (Incorrect username or password.)
    09/09/2004 6:51:49 AM Update Error connecting to server u2a.eset.com.
    09/09/2004 6:51:43 AM Update Error connecting to server u3.eset.com.
    09/09/2004 6:11:09 AM Update Update attempt failed (Server connection failure) PUFFMD\Kent
    09/09/2004 6:10:21 AM Update Error connecting to server u1.eset.com.
    09/09/2004 6:10:12 AM Update Error connecting to server u3.eset.com.
    09/09/2004 6:10:04 AM Update Error connecting to server u4.eset.com.
    09/09/2004 6:09:58 AM Update Error connecting to server u2a.eset.com.
    09/09/2004 6:04:37 AM Update Update attempt failed (Server connection failure)

As you can see in my case Server Connection Failure is not my only problem.

Regards,
    Kent

4. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Hi Kent

I installed the trial last night, and haven't had any server problems today (just checked the log), although i had to manually get 1.867. :)

5. puff-m-d

I guess my main question is this: why when I finally get thru to a server am I prompted for my username and password? I just installed last night and I thought you did not need a user name and password for the trial version. Like I said also, on the information window it says I have 30 days left on my trial. Does the fact that I ran NOD32 for a year on this box and uninstalled it 5 or 6 months ago having any effect on this? NOD32 has changed so much in the last 5 to 6 months that I should be able to trial it before purchase even if I used it previously.... I hope my questions are answered soon while I still have a full trial period....

Regards,
    Kent

6. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

You are not supposed to need a user name and password for the trial version. You might see if any of the suggestions in these two threads help (although neither see any real resolution). :(

Are you positive you installed the trial version? When you uninstalled NOD 5 or 6 months ago, did you delete the Eset file in your Programs folder? Maybe somehow this trial version detected some remnant of the NOD32 you had six months ago?

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/search.php?searchid=114864

7. puff-m-d

I am positive I downloaded the trial and verified that when I uninstalled and reinstalled NOD32. When I removed NOD32 5 to 6 months ago I uninstalled it, then rebooted, then deleted the ESET folder, and used a couple of registry cleaners to remove any remnants left behind. I am seriously considering going back to NOD32, but so much has changed about it in the last 5 to 6 months that I will not purchase it unless I can try it for a full trial period first. The virus definitions are from August 28 so I feel a bit vulnerable running NOD32 at the moment.

Regards,
    Kent

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

If you try to update manually by selecting the update now button and you don't get an immediate response, select the abort button. It will then move to the next server. Do this until you get an update.

If it is asking for a password on the trial version, I would uninstall, delete the Eset folder in program files and reinstall.

There are times when this update problem shows up. As Marcos said, it may be a problem with their isp.

9. puff-m-d

I looked at the 2 threads you suggested Mele, but as you said the problem was never really resolved. They were told they were running the commercial version and to remove it and install the trial. I was sure I installed the trial to begin with, but made absolutely sure the second time around. I still have the problem.

Regards,
    Kent

10. puff-m-d

Thanks for the sugestions but I have already followed these steps with no luck. I have actually gone thru 3 downloads and 3 installs now (after removing the program, deleting the ESET folder, and cleaning the registry). I still have Server Connection Failures and whenever I do get to a server, it still wants a username and password.

Regards,
    Kent

11. coney13

coney13 Guest

Hello Kent
    I am having identical problems ... will try to get some joy from Australian PCUser mag where I use my trial from each month, and let you know what they say.
    coney

12. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

13. coney13

coney13 Guest

Hello Mele20
    My mistake!
    Kind regards coney13

14. puff-m-d

I just wanted to bump this thread back to the first page because it seems it is not receiving any attention.

Regards,
    Kent

15. puff-m-d

I am bumping this thread one more time in hopes of a response. I was a loyal NOD32 user for 2 years and all I want is to be able to try out the new version before I buy it. It has been 6 months since I had NOD32 and there have been many changes since then. Am I not allowed to trial the new version out before I buy it?

16. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I have sent you a PM.

Cheers :D

17. puff-m-d

Thanks Blackspear,

PM received and a response sent back to you.

18. puff-m-d

I am posting here again to bump this thread from page 3 as my problem still has not been addressed and it has been over 2 weeks now since my original post. It is starting to look like I will have to go with some other AV. Any help from ESET would be appreciated.

19. Bandicoot

Bandicoot Eset Staff

Hi Puff (...sorry to be so familiar!)

Are you by any chance using a proxy-server? Is that asking for a username and password? Sorry if I'm clutching at straws but can't see any reason why you would be asked for a UN + PW if you've got a Trial version.

I work at Eset and I've asked a couple of my colleagues for their opinions.... we can't figure it out.. doesn't make sense.

Bandicoot.

20. puff-m-d

Hi Bandicoot,

I have no proxy. It worked fine for a couple of days and then started asking for the username and password. No changes were made to my system during this time. I basically got 2 or 3 days out of the 30 day trial. I want to trial it for the full 30 days before I decide to purchase again (was a paying customer for 2 years, liscence expired a few months ago). It just does not make sense that it worked to start with for a few days and stopped. Uninstalling, deletion of all NOD32 files, Registry cleanup, and a reinstall gives the same results except it ask for username and password from the beginning.

21. bsilva

bsilva Registered Member

I don't see why Eset can't give you a temp user name and password so they won't lose you!! Until they can figure out whats going on with your problem.

22. Bandicoot

Bandicoot Eset Staff

Hi Bsilva,

I've already sent Puff-m-d a PM offering him exactly that. This problem just doesn't add up at the moment, so while we try to figure it out, he can get on with re-evaluating NOD32.

Regards,
    Bandicoot.

23. bsilva

bsilva Registered Member

That is a good thing to hear. :)

Though it must be some registry key and that is making it prompt for user name and password.

24. Bandicoot

Bandicoot Eset Staff

He says he's used a registry cleaner to delete all NOD32 entries.....

Bandicoot.

25. puff-m-d

Hello Bandicoot,

I just sent an email your way. Thanks very much for your help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.