TrendMicro Pc-Cillin vs. Sophos AntiVirus

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by kloshar, Dec 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kloshar

kloshar Registered Member

I wonder which of these 2 antivirus software is better? I think about Pc-cillin and Sophos Antivirus (new version). I know Sophos is built for enterprise, but you can simply use it as a home-computer scanner. And for free. I got a new Pc-cillin yesterday (just antivirus, not the whole internet security) and it looks good, too. I have been using Sophos Antivirus for 6 years now at my office and it still runs very well so I've just wanted to try it on my home computer. Which to use?

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Hard to say but i'd most probably go with Pc-cillin.

3. kloshar

Would you be so kind and tell me why?

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Manly because SOPHOS was never meant to be a personal AV regardless of detection. Centralized administration and control are it's brightest points among corporate AV solutions. Also from what i managed to see Pc-cillin offers more settings in a client software. Detection is also a bit higher according to av-comparatives if i'm not mistaken...

5. kkkkkkk

kkkkkkk Guest

There is to many resons...

Bad detection, bad spyware detections, doing bad on most of the tests etc.

Also PC-Cillin had bad update few months ago that damaged all computers that did update during that 1-2 hours etc.
    Also PC-cillin did bad few times in my expirience while clean virus infection, after "sucesfull" cleaning I got BSOD.

You probably were lucky with Sophos, if you using for example Opera and do update very often that any AV will protect you well but if you go everywhere with Internet Exporer than you will see how Sophos is bad.

This is my personal view.

6. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

Damaged? Please stop spreading incorrect information.

tD

7. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

PC-Cillin was a little better than Sophos according the av-comparatives of Augustus 2005, but I can't give any numbers, because it's forbidden.
    So my vote goes to PC-Cillin this time, because only 2 AV's are mentioned in this thread, but it wouldn't be my first choice in a more general AV thread.

8. kkkkkkkkk

kkkkkkkkk Guest

I meant software damage not hardware.

This is not true! At least by my expirience. I had 6 office computers and 1 from other customer with this problem.
    All of them had crashed windows and only way was to manually uninstall PC-cillin because this product can not be uninstalled from safe mode even if it is good.

So from customer aspect PC-cilling did total damage because they could not operate with PC and could not uninstall it from safe mode if they in case they had enought knowlegde to try that.

I charged them for each PC...

And this is second time that they had similar problem, not just once.

Do you still think that I spread incorrect informations? :)

9. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

This problem effected CPU. I don't see how this affected your Windows files. :rolleyes: Maybe we or you shouldn’t use Microsoft products because of similar problem with the patch Q811493.

tD

Last edited: Dec 17, 2005
  10. kkkkkkkkkk

kkkkkkkkkk Guest

You can check this out on several forums where people had exactly the same problem as we did.
    The description that they put about that problem is one reason more to not trust to that company.

From user aspect if computer is not operating properly than it is damaged and if they have to pay somebody to make it work that it is more than damage.

I understand that there is no perfect software but in AV field we can suggest software by our expirience what I did in this case.

I hope you understand what I meant ;)

11. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

The funny thing is Sophos ownes VB (Virus Bulletin) but it must be an absolute embarrasement for them when NOD32 and KAV wins all the awards. :D

12. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Thats what we call "independant" reviewing...
    And as far as i know they don't exactly own it...

13. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

Sophon and the VB100 Foundation (or how is it called) just share building and servers. Sophos isn't the owner!

14. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Exactly.

Also i'm running TMIS2006 right now and i must say it's a nice surprise.
    Integrated firewall is finally much better. Detection is a bit fluffy and i miss sample submission via quarantine but in general it's nice.
    It uses a bit more memory but it's fast and has a nicely designed interface.
    Tray icon is no longer ugly on WinXP systems (jaggies were killing me).
    I'm sure you'd be happy with it :)

15. jlo

jlo Registered Member

16. kloshar

I'm using TMIS 2005 now, offered by Microsoft for 3 months free. It suprised me at all. Very nice program, doesn't slow down my computer. The only thing I don't like is that it shows the update progress every time and asks for confirmation.

17. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

As far as i can remember you can set it to update silently. Check the settings...

18. sweathog

sweathog Registered Member

Hi,

Interesting discussion...I've been using tmis 2005 for a year had no problems whatsoever. Recently installed tmis 2006. I can now only access the tm website using the programs links in the browser internet explorer. I don't think this is good. Is it just my computor or is this the way it has been put together ?

19. kloshar

A new version of Sophos Antivirus seems to be quite impressive. It presents total difference from previous version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.