Trend recommends disabling Vista UAC

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by david_h, Jun 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. david_h

david_h Registered Member

Seems I've started a holy war on Vista UAC. My original point was that I find it ironical that Trend Micro - a security company - tells me that to fix their particular problem I need to disable the basic Microsoft security feature in Vista (UAC). Furthermore for Trend Micro to say that I will not be compromising security in anyway by doing so is just stupid. I pay attention to the UAC prompts and it has protected me on more than one occasion. I do however agree with many other posts in this thread that the average user will just blindly click through the prompts and hence these people are probably better off disabling UAC.

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

david_h maybe that is why no prompts, I don't have the pro version:ninja: But I do like TMIS and UAC :thumb:

3. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Disable UAC and everything else for a speedy Vista computer ;)
    http://techtalk.pcpitstop.com/2008/06/16/tweakvista/

4. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

5. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Disabling all the goodies that vista offers? Why the hell is that good for? It's like having a Ferrari but you decide to take out the awesome engine and strip off all the nice designed car body, plus removing all the luxury features.
    Thats exactly what you do to Vista with tips on that link...

It's also interesting that NO ONE EVER teached users how to properly use and read UAC messages, they instead teached EVERYONE how to just blindly disable "stupid and annoying" UAC. And then they all whine how Microsoft hasn't done anything for Windows security. Yey, really mature there... not to mention completelly against all logic.

6. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

David,

Try a simpler solution: use the freebie TWEAKUAC, to set UAC in quiet mode, you keep the goodies but loose the annoying pop-ups.

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Sure MS did not made UAC for this purpose.
    That is exactly my point. U or any user might not even don,t know the reasons that triggered UAC prompts. How can ordinary user know if the prompts is due to some real threat or just due to a beningn event.

8. CountryGuy

CountryGuy Registered Member

Hey, a good discussion thread that doesn't get locked for being a vs. thread is a great thing! :D

The only other thing I'd add about UAC is this -- UAC is there to prevent any application (malware or otherwise) from running with administrative privileges without your (as the user) approval. Meaning, it can't touch system files or registry settings without you knowing about it. By turning that off, you lose that protection.

Where do I see that as being important? Drive-by downloads on websites. Yeah, my AV may or may not miss something like that, but if it tries to run on my PC (and change system settings), it gets shut down.

Why do I mention this? First, there are reasons it was added to Vista, and why you want to keep it running. Second, as was mentioned already blaming UAC (after over a year of Vista being commercially available) is a very lame excuse on the part of software makers. If Trend Micro's AV can run (with admin rights as most AVs need to) without requiring a UAC prompt every startup, why can't this component? My guess is the programmers who designed this piece didn't do so with Vista in mind, imho.

9. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Like a Ferrari?
    I don't think so.
    You buy one for what it is.
    For the quality and prestige of that car.
    MS gave no choice on Vista.
    It was crammed down your throat.
    Big difference there and a bad comparison.
    And what makes you think MS knows best?
    Since when are they the gods of security?
    What's not logical here is accepting what MS says as gospel.
    Yeah, Vista's so good a replacement is already on the boards by 2010.
    Says something. Doesn't it.
    But if you like Vista as it is, hey more power to you.
    My Vista is more like XP now. Running very nice now, thank you.
    UAC reminds me of a parent constantly telling their kids to clean up their room.
    Don't need that.
    So if you believe what MS is shoveling, well, it kind of reminds me of the lemmings marching up to the cliff.
    Remember, tools aren't just sold to fix things but also to tweak and customize. :D

10. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Local Security Policy - Local Policies - Security Options is where you can do whatever to UAC.

The very first entry - Accounts: Administrator account status is disabled by default.

If enabled as my setting is when you reboot you have a choice to boot into the full blown admin account or the limited admin account you are forced to create at install.

After I select the admin account at reboot I delete the forced created account and now I'm always booting into the admin account without any prompts to select which account.

Saves right clicking anything such as CMD and selecting "Run as Administrator" and I'm a control freak to boot.

UAC/Defender are a pain and are turned off/deleted when creating my vLited install disk.Sandboxie, Returnil and Ghost Images are all I need.
    LSP.JPG

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

hello Franklin,
    what version of vista are you using?
    i dont think windows vista home premium has the local ssecuirty policys because its a home user version or something like that.
    if anyone knows how to enable it in vista home premium feel free to give
    me a link.

12. Franklin

Vista Ultimate.

13. PoetWarrior

PoetWarrior Registered Member

If I don't know it (the reason), then it won't happen. :D

14. yxclark

yxclark Registered Member

If you don't like Vista, there's still XP, for now. I'm using XP, and I haven't seen any of Microsoft's attempts to "cram" Vista down my throat. Not to mention that there's Apple and Linux to choose from. You were the one who voted with your own dollars and bought Vista, brought it home and installed it on your computer. And nothing bad would have happened to you or your computer if you hadn't. So where's this so-called cramming?

Nobody said that. All that was said that spending the cash to buy Vista, and then stripping it of all its features by hand, doesn't sound like a very smart idea.

15. Franklin

Stripping, deleting, vLiting, tweaking and getting it exactly the way that suits my needs is what I have a habit of doing.:)

No better way to learn about a system and of course those ghost images come in handy on occasion.:D

We are all different and it's your pc and you can do whatever the #$%^ you want.:cool:

16. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Well said :thumb:

17. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Hi,

Why is the discussion between UAC on or off, there is also an internediate solution: UAC in quiet mode. When you disable automatic installer recognition in the registry, you do not risk auto elevations on installers, besides installers downloaded with IE7 are also limited by Vista.

Initially UAC seemed to me like a 90 year old retarded HIPS, which kept asking the same questions over and over again. I started to respond without reading. That is my only complaint on LUA, when you can grant access in 95% of the cases, you will grant the 5% also which you should not allow to elevate rights, see https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1067345&postcount=1

After some time learning how to tweak UAC, I really think it is an improvement (so I changed my mind), see https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1075022&postcount=1

Regards Kees

18. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Not if your car comes with electronic gadgets to limit its max speed.

True :thumb:

19. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

The Dell laptop I bought only came with Vista Basic. No choice to upgrade and I wasn't about to spend more money buying XP.
    So I just tweaked Vista to run more like XP. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.