Trend Micros antispyware and possible false positive for pwstealer ?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by maddawgz, Aug 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

I have registerd trend antispyware standalone i may actually put it back on lol.........and im not impressed with the detection of there AV well i can run the standalone antispyware! food for thought....gonna pop it on and run it now MD

then there's always tehre free spywarescan
    http://www.trendmicro.com/spyware-scan/

i ran it and it found pwstealer..keylogger that all others missed like SAS etc...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2006
  2. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

Re: Antispyware comparison from Malware Test-lab (07 Aug 06)

What are the actual items (files, registry keys, processes) that were actually located? Are the items just traces, or actual infections?

Nick Skrepetos
    SUPERAntiSpyware.com
    http://www.superantispyware.com

3. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Would just like to add. Trend Micro once found something of this nature on my PC, and I believe it was no more than a trace of an old uninstalled program I once tried. I would also like to add, that I like and trust SAS. Never have any problems with it, frequent updates, and as you can see. There is also frequent repsopnses in the forums to help people, and of course improve their already great program as well.

4. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

hi there no they where some spyware...... i took it off though kept interfearing with msn live..etc..and few other programs....... i like SAS too nice proggy

5. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Hi maddawgz,

I heard somewhere that TMAS did not have a "restore feature" for items that have been quarantined....but according to your screenshot, it looks like there IS. So can you restore INDIVIDUAL entries that have been quarantined, or is it for an entire log's worth (ALL enries from a specific scan)?

Also, how is the resident shield on memory and CPU, and how often are definitions updated? And what exactly are the "Venus Spy Trap" and "Spy Sleuth" features?

6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

its RTM is light but i have no numbers as i dont have it installed.

Venus Fly Trap is the name of its realtime component and SpySleuth is a tool to help u find teh source of teh spyware (like if it was bundled with an app).

7. Ngwana

Ngwana Registered Member

Venus Spy Trap a feature that monitors system from potential malicious changes such as illegal startup entries, browser plu-ins, HOTS file chahges and OS (Windows) services, Spy Sleuth is a feature for tracking the source of spyware. Memory usage will differ from system to system but it is low IMO.

BTW - I suspect there willl be interest about TMAS after the recent comparative results but I never make much of these 'tests' and only concentrate on getting the best/safest possible configuration of ANY security software on my test systems and look out for possible conflicts. So far TMAS cries foul about checking network settings (can be disabled tho) and promises to repair after restart, in my system that resulted in 'stopping' IMON module from NOD 32.

The other FP (BHO_IEHELPER) is common when there is another app that monitors ActiveX components like Spyware Doctor.. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.