Trend Micro Internet Security 2007

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by DVD+R, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Anyone noticed with Trend products, especially the security suite, when you initially purchase, you get a 3 user 1yr licence, not bad in most cases BUT!!! Dont even THINK! about uninstalling it, and reinstalling it cause if you do your knackered :blink: I got it free with my New PC last month, and decided to give it a whirl, but didnt like it too much, so uninstalled it :ninja: Then I changed my mind and decided to install it again, thats when the problems begin :blink: The registration page told me I had already installed it on another machine :blink: Well No! Trend People, not another machine, the same one, only for a second time. I called Trend ,and they told me I had to change my Name :blink: What in the heck for :blink: I'm not on Witness Protection I told them :blink: Next they told me they couldnt find my registration, because when I removed it from my PC it was also removed from their database :ninja: These prople must hink I'm a Idiot or something :D Removed from their database :blink: :rolleyes: :eek: Gmme a break Purlesseeeeee :gack: The next thing I know I'm being asked for a further $99 to register it again, even though I still have a year to run on it :mad: Not very professinal customer relations they have at Trend :ninja: Anyway they can Get lost, I'm NOT! Paying It! :p

2. tgell

tgell Registered Member

Trust me, you are better off not having that antivirus on your machine. Even avast! free is better than that software and when you add the other free security software available, you will be further ahead.

3. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

4. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Is Trend Micro IS 2007 really that bad? I have a license for it, but haven't used it yet.

5. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

of course its not, its a fine antivirus.

6. fce

fce Registered Member

try to ask for TMIS 2007 (PCCTool) remover!

7. thehudd

thehudd Registered Member

No, it really is quite a nice program. It's large, but I notice no slow down in any application or browsing.

8. Graystoke

The only reason I asked, is because of all the negative comments that are written about it in the forums.

9. Arin

Arin Registered Member

@Graystoke

If you read carefully the first post, you'll see that he simply refuses to register the application using a different name. Now I have a license and I use three different names when I have to re-install. Its a trivial issue.

Namor did it nicely by using Michael, Mike and Mikey. Compare this small issue with Symantec where after a certain number of re-installs your license will simply refuse to get activated.

As a security solution, it does have a lots of bells and whistles, but it does provide decent protection. It didn't set the comparison charts on fire but what the heck! Who cares if it keeps you safe?

10. Abeltje

Abeltje Registered Member

Yes Symantec is awfull in this respect. I should be able to reinstall it as much as I want. I already hit the limit and it's really something that makes you go away from a product.
    I like F-Secure - if you reinstall it, the old installation simply is deactivated - I think this is the way it should be. Then you can reinstall as much as you like.

11. Graystoke

AMRX....Yeah, my comments were just concerning the the protection it provides. I'm not concerned with the number of machines it can be used on. :)

12. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

tgell could be referring to the detection rates. I dont remember Trend Micro being very high

13. Graystoke

Yeah, I thought that is what he was referring to also. I don't see it included in a lot of detection tests, yet I read people telling others not to use it because of its poor detection rates. That is why I asked if it really is that bad. With so many negative comments, it really make me wonder.

14. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

its not neccesarily bad if you practice safe hex. but it should be noted that the four main free AV do detect more.

15. argus tuft

argus tuft Registered Member

You'll find that in C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security 07\Pcctool.exe
    I believe the uninstaller is in tab E when you run the tool.

I never had that issue with TMIS07 myself, and I un / re-installed a lot of times.

16. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

OK, To clarify things up abit here, I never said I refused to register under different names, I said I found it Absurd to have to do so, After All a registered user is in fact the person who buys the product, and shouldnt have to switch and modify His/Her registered name to be able to install this program. I'm neither Tom, Dick or Harry, I'm George :cautious: and thats who the program should recognize me as should I need to reinstall under my registered licence :isay:

17. Graystoke

Thanks WSFuser. :) I'm not going to install just yet. I'm happy with my present setup.

18. tgell

tgell Registered Member

Yes, I was referring to the detection rate, but I was also concerned with the bloat of this program. I realize that it is a suite, but 80mb seems awfully large. I installed it on one of my computers and had some trouble with it, but you might have better results. Av-test.org did a very large test in May and here are the results. As WSFuser noted, some of the free antivirus programs showed better results.

http://www.sunbelt-software.com/ihs/alex/marx/detections_2007q2.htm

19. fce

fce Registered Member

better ask TMIS the remover. they will email you the pccillin remover and detail instruction.

20. beads

beads Registered Member

There have been a great many complaints about A/V in general - to include Trend, Symantec, McAfee and all the other free programs out there. Most do a pretty competent job. None are perfect, so get over it.

I do use Trend Micro at work but its the corporate edition. Which btw has been quite good and a great deal easier (fixed typo) to use than the home based edition. Speaking of which its generally the home based editions of ANY A/V that tends to get the bashing, in case you haven't noticed.

There are simply too many things that home based machines need to be "protected" from - mainly bad user habits and inattention to detail. This leaves all the A/V vendors with little choice but to try and defend the home user from just about anything you can imagine from a 360 degree angle. Credit cards, virus, page spoofing, etc. Now, you sit back and whine why these programs are "bloated" and "slow"? Most of this stuff is built like an elephant gun but we like to hunt field mice with that same gun.

Of course there are smaller more nimble programs out there but they are specialized programs meant to find or block only a slice of the pie. These home bloatware programs are designed to keep folks like our Grandmothers from accidentally getting taken for a ride through the Internet.

Oh! When you look at all the other "smaller" programs out there. Please add up how many meg these smaller programs add up to and compare all the same features in your security suites and the number of meg in your specialized programs and get back to me. I'm betting meg for meg and pound for pound your getting more protection in a smaller space than adding half a dozen or so specialized programs that don't necessarily work together.

If you can use the smaller more fragmented programs at a lesser cost then please do so. I find most of the "home" based programs to be way too much to bother with but then again - I'm just a dumb security expert and know what I need to defend against. Most folks have no clue.

So for the vast majority of people who use these programs - there great. For the vast majority of people who whine and complain - probably better protection than they can cobbler together on their own. :shifty:

- beads

21. Arin

Arin Registered Member

Well said beads. Although some parts are debatable, you made some very good points.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.