Trend Micro Internet Security 2006

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Zee59, Oct 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zee59

Zee59 Registered Member

Hi: Has anyone heard when Trends Pc-Cillin Internet Security 2006 is coming out and if there is anything new in it?
    Thanks alot.

Z

2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

It will have somewhat significant new features.....thats all I know. It will be coming out in late October/early November. Current PC-cillin 2005 customers will recieve a free upgrade, I think.

3. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

Trend used to me my favorite to i went to Mcafee..it just missed to much ! :doubt:

4. Firecat

I guess that was because it wouldn't update fast enough....:doubt:

5. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

What's the frequency of updates currently?

6. Firecat

I think they still only release official pattern files every 2-3 days......The "Controlled" Pattern releases are not avialable for automatic update, so most users will still only recieve an update every 2 or 3 days....

7. mikesu

mikesu Registered Member

I think that you don't know anything about frequency of updates. So I don't know why you talk about it?
    Frequency of updates - TMIS 2005 - OCTOBER 2005
    5.10 - two times
    This is only official pattern release - so you must know that you have beta release pattern too;)

best regards
    mikesu

8. Firecat

Then it really has changed since the time I used it.....and thats good news! :)

9. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I used to be a PC-Cillin user, and remember they only used to release updates every couple of days or so. This was even the case with PC-Cillin Internet Security 2005, but if that has changed, that's good news for their customers.

10. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

My PC-cillin Internet Security 2005 would update sometimes two or three times a day if necessary and never less than once a day.

11. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Why does Trend Micro use pattern numbers instead of the date the update was installed. That was one of the things I didn't like about TM. I always had to look up the pattern number to find out if it was the current one. Showing the date the update was installed is so much more convenient. They could always add the pattern number to that if they think that's important.

12. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi Graystoke,

If a single date were used, how would the software itself know that it needs to update serveral patterns within one day? For example, a new or several viruses in the "wild" breaks out where the signature(s) becomes known to all the AV vendors and solution(s) becomes available. So, of course, its important for the software to be on a schedule to check periodically for updates so that it may update itself! That is to say, its convenient to the software to stay current.

-- Tom

13. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

If my memory serves me right, I think the software shows the date with the pattern number when it is downloaded.

The CPR files tend to show incremental updates (like #2.288.04, #2.288.05) whereas the official pattern release always ended in .00. (like #2.289.00) Whether automatic updates are now showing different I dunno.

14. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Hi lotuseclat79.

I understand what you're saying. I guess I didn't explain it very well, which is nothing new. :) I'll use KAV and NOD32 as an example. When you hover your cursor over their icons in the taskbar, the date of the update is shown. I think that is a good way to do it, because it lets a person know that their AV virus sigs were updated on that particular day. They can always look up the pattern number if they want to, but I'm sure most people wouldn't do that. With TM, when you hover your cursor over it's icon, you get the pattern number. If you were not keeping track, you probably wouldn't know if that pattern number was todays, yesterdays, or two days ago, without checking to make sure. I just think it's more convenient the way KAV and NOD32 do it. Again, just using KAV and NOD32 as an example.

I'm sure a lot of people who don't hang around security forums like Wilders and others, probably don't know or couldn't care less about when their virus sigs were updated. So it probable doesn't matter to them how it's done. Hey, it's no big deal. I was just wondering why TM does it different than other AV's. Maybe I'm just need to get a life. ;) :D *puppy*

15. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Trend have always done things a bit differently. Even their naming convention isn't the same as most other AVs. To be honest, I actually like their naming system as it's shorter and easier to understand. To me anyway.

16. Firecat

To be honest, I've always liked their product because it was different! But I stopped using it because of poor Trojan detection (at that time, now its much better) and the paid upgrade system. And now, it seems Trend provides free upgrades to existing customers, so I *may* consider it again....in 2007 after my NOD32 license expires. ;)

But NOD's also good :doubt:

*Here I go into AV confusion dilemma again* :eek::D

17. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I liked Trend too, and was a user of their PC-Cillin program for six years until last Autumn. It was then I switched to KAV.

18. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

Does anyone know if Trend 2k6 is RAID compatible? I had 2004 back before I went RAID on all systems and had to switch the pc it was on because RAID was NOT supported.

19. feddup

feddup Registered Member

Raid?

I'm running two WD Raptors on an Intel ICH5R and TM's IS2005 doesn't seem to mind. I never heard of raid issues with an antivirus!

20. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

Re: Raid?

Try installing 2004 on that RAID and you will, lol. Thanks feddup for the info. I like to have Trend on that PC as a backup scanner.

21. jjm

jjm Guest

Trend 2006 will be available on October 31.

22. Firecat

As always....But it takes a day or two for the websites to get updated;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.