Trend Deep Security - Consumer Routers

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Mayahana, Oct 11, 2014.

1. 142395

142395 Guest

No offense intended but what do you mean by that?
    I don't say you're wrong, Trend DS is not a firewall and doesn't have even SPI function.
    However, it actually inspects each packets for exploit code snippet.
    This is, you know, Network-based IPS.
    I hope you realized this as your post#17 is definitely wrong.

[EDIT]
    Ah, sorrry, you just said what NGRhodes described is not a DPI.
    My Bad.:(

2. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

I've seen mention of white/black list protection, but I've not seen any hints of the routers doing any analysis themselves.

Cheers, Nick

3. 142395

142395 Guest

At least RT-AC87 has IPS capability, and IPS need to scan traffic to find exploit code snippet.
    Maybe it's same for other router mentioned here.

4. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

AC87 has IPS w/cloud updates from Trend. That's one reason why it has quad core processing.

5. NGRhodes

FYI 2 of the cores are part of the 5ghz wifi soc, but it does have the useful side effect of freeing the main processor for other stuff :)

6. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

7. Wutikorn

Wutikorn Registered Member

I think from https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1012070/ Asus router offers DPI but I think it works as Cloud Connection as I asked Asus and they say Trend Micro won't scan for malware in local file transfer as the packet won't pass DPI engine of Trend Micro Server. Therefore the router itself doesn't work as a scanner, but has Trend Micro server to protect it.

8. NGRhodes

These routers (I have an AC56U) scan themselves (what they scan I do not know, could be for the QoS filters and or malware) based on signatures (as there is a script that runs from cron to download them if you dig around), it could use the cloud too (possibly for when signatures do not work). Your right they only scan for traffic on the WAN, not LAN/WLAN.

9. Wutikorn

Wutikorn Registered Member

Have u every tried sending a malware through local area network? The Asus support, in my case, does not seems to make senses. He told me that DPI function is not in the router but in Trend Micro Server. So I asked him which function in Trend Micro should I enable to get TM DPI engine working. He answered "Trend Micro DPI is actually integrated in QoS function." However, if it is in integrated in QoS function then it is inside the router. I think he is mixing up TM DPI and QoS DPI. How do you know that it does not scan local network? In that case, is it some kind like VPN to TM server? If not every packet passes TM server then we are more vulnerable to attacker.

10. mirage22

mirage22 Registered Member

@erikloman
    @markloman

Is HM.UTM integrated with Sitecom's Greyhound series too?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.