Trend 2015 arrives tonight. Take a look.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Mayahana, Sep 16, 2014.

1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

yes but the problem is i dont want it to do that in the first place. give us a option to ask first not auto remove, then ill be interested

2. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Agreed, there needs to be an advanced option for threat handling. I think the intention was to make it overly 'friendly', and with the false positive reduction systems in place, the idea was that they(FPs) should be exceedingly rare. I opened a developer ticket on the populating issue from restoration out of quarantine, i was able to duplicate a few things that are a bit unpredictable with that. I have opened a second ticket with development about adding options for threat handling. I will update my findings here. I do agree on both accounts. But for the majority of users of the product threat handling isn't key, and the push towards more automated solutions is pretty intense in the consumer market. But at the very least, I would like to see it as an option so we don't have to have people pulling any FP's out of quarantine. I will do one better, and call a Trend engineer directly if I can slot a time for it.

3. zfactor

it is a bit ram heavy though i see right now on this laptop using over 250mb of ram for the 3 main services.

imo there needs to be advanced options though.

edit: will talk via pm i did not mean to upset anyone and say that in the wrong way

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  4. Noob

Noob Registered Member

That UI looks really good.

5. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Don't confuse the consumer product (Trend 2015) with the Business/Enterprise - (Worry Free Business). Trend has no interest in promoting Titanium 2015 as anything more than a low cost, effective, automated consumer product. It likely won't ever do anything more than that as that is their market share. For business, and ultimate configuration, and deployment, that's what Worry-Free is for. If you honestly deploy that many licenses you really should be deploying an enterprise product, why aren't you? 3000 licenses is a lot. I deal with multi million dollar IT companies that don't move that many, so if you honestly are moving that it makes absolutely no sense you aren't deploying enterprise solutions.That way you can sell renewals, and manage everything remotely (and charge for it). Right now sitting at my desk at home, with my Worry Free Console open, I am managing nearly 300 machines I deployed Worry Free on as a contractor over the years. Considering I make $5.00 per seat, per month, that's a good residual income for doing nothing at all in the comfort of my own home. If I had sold all of them a consumer product I wouldn't be making any money, and any business can go to Microcenter and purchase their own copies if they want.

Just something to consider.. It sounds to me like you are looking for enterprise solutions. If you give me your company name/website I will put you in touch with the right people to discuss your needs.

6. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I'm testing on a machine with only 4gb ram, and I find Trends memory usage a bit too high for my tastes.

7. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

It fluctuates depending on what is happening. I wasn't sure people are that worried about ram use these days given the Swap/Page files on ultra fast SSD's, and cheap ram - most AV's seem to sit between 90mb-300mb of ram if I recall, but generally the 'lightness' of a product isn't a product of how much ram it uses, rather how your system feels/performs with it installed. If you want low ram use it's probably wise to stick with full cloud based solutions. The figures I have read of hardware metrics indicate roughly 45-55% of machines have 8GB of ram or higher (August), the variances are by region.

8. zfactor

will send you a pm to explain better

9. clocks

clocks Registered Member

No, I don't think so.

10. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

I'm basing this on the metrics from 32,000 machines we monitor. But remember you need to factor the visible and swapped ram. You also need to factor idle ram use vs scanning ram use. Quite a good number, maybe not most, seem to sit between 90-300 when factoring an average of ram, and product activity. This charge is pretty accurate when you calculate an average between idle and scanning to find an operative figure. Also some products use more ram than they appear with tricks, such as sharing space with explorer.exe, etc. To calculate you would use the idle ram use, added to the scanning ram use, divide it by two, and that's the average ram use of the product all things considered. So ESET uses 93,615 idle, and 103,244 when it is scanning a file, so the average ram use would be around 98,622. Dr. Web would come in at 104,000.

But again, given the penetration of systems with over 8GB of ram, plentiful cheap ram, and speedy SSD's where your swaps/pages are stored, it's more or less a moot point these days.

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/which-free-antivirus-is-the-lightest-on-system-memory-usage/2/

11. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I never scan my system with my AV. I have realtime protection, and periodically run HMP. Therefore, I can care less what scanning memory usage is. The "everyone else hides their resource usage" is a common rationalization.

Fact is, I am not going to buy more ram, so my AV program can become more bloated. "Buy more memory" is another often used rationalization by makers of heavy programs.

My computer seems a bit more sluggish with Trend than my last AV. I'll probably give it another day or so before I switch, just to make sure it is not my imagination.

12. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Trend received a good review at PC Mag.

13. zfactor

well after a few days of throwing everything i can at it, detection seems very good. it had some issues with some pups i ran through it. but overall great performance detection wise. at times it had a few quirks. once it said it removed a infected file but it did not. didnt even touch it. it was NOT on the exceptions list either. i have no idea why. but i rebooted a few times scanned again and trend said it was gone when in fact it was still sitting there. this file had not been executed yet so that was weird. i had the gui close on me out of no where a couple times. i opened it and got up to go grab a drink the one time and when i came back the gui was closed. so unless it has some kind of timer which im not sure of this was odd. it happened twice i saw. memory usage imo is high. and i do not like all the extra junk installed in both ie and firefox (3 different add on's in each, really?) i do really like the gui. oh and i also think they need to change the fact that when you disable the av it actually shuts the whole thing down. i tried shutting it down and it was still detecting all kinds of stuff so it seems shutting it down from the taskbar only shuts down part of it.

uninstalled now, this will not be a keeper for me due to it not having any advanced options for my own systems but it would be a really good av for some.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  14. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I installed TM Max 2015 in an XP VM and I'm happy to say that it installed very quickly. It does mention the MS C++ runtime, but it doesn't slow down the install. The UI is clear and easy to understand, plus I don't see ads for other products (there are AVs where even after you subscribe you still see ads!) Regarding memory usage I'm seeing CoreServiceShell at around 165K when TM is at rest. During a Quick Scan memory usage actually goes down for that process while total memory usage goes up about 80K, so there must be other components not showing in task manager ( ? ) Memory usage could be a problem on older XP systems with 512K, but hopefully they are on the way out. TM Max didn't noticeably impact system performance either. I appreciate the 30 day trial; that's enough time to evaluate the product. I haven't thrown any PUPs at it yet. If it will either prevent or remove them I will recommend TM to my customers.

15. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

The processes to stop supporting XP for most companies are in place, and being escalated simply because it is becoming a liability to continue to support a vulnerable, unsupported operating system. In the enterprise field third party software companies routinely 'enforce' a decay period. Many products simply will no longer support EOL products or software, but it is easier to enforce this on the enterprise market. For a business you say you won't support Server 2003 beyond X date, so you either run the program at your own risk, or you put plans into place to upgrade your infrastructure. XP is falling into that category.

I will make an unofficial recommendation that you place Trend 2015 into "Hypersensitive" mode. This will allow it to catch a wider variety of threats, and the heuristics is notched up while still maintaining a low FP metric. However Hypersensitive increases ram usage slightly, this is because several modules are loaded up permanently, instead of as-needed. But the side effect - ironically - is Trend actually performs smoother in some respects because the system load exerted by loading/unloading itself from normal/sensitive is removed. Try it and see, a true test of it's power will be during Hypersensitive vs Normal. I recall seeing a few recent Youtube tests where people were unable to infect a machine with Trend 2015, try searching for some of those.

16. zfactor

only thing i found with setting it to hyper is i did start to see fp's.

17. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Good review here, but he does say nothing under the hood has changed, which isn't correct. Otherwise he scored it very high, and gives very high props to the Web Threat blocking. Extensive work went into URL filtration, false positive reduction, and proactive protection. Which he seems to note in the review;

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2468796,00.asp
    Behavior-based detection in last year's edition of this product flagged some valid programs as suspicious or even malicious, and as noted earlier, Trend Micro lost points for false positives in some independent lab tests. For a sanity check, I loaded up 20 PCMag utilities that legitimately make system changes to areas that are also frequented by malware. I'm pleased to say that Trend Micro left all of these legitimate programs alone. I didn't observe a single false positive.

Trend Micro detected 80 percent of the samples, almost all of them at the URL level. That's the highest score for any product since I started this test almost a year ago. avast! Free Antivirus 2014 previously held the top score, with 79 percent.

18. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Yes, generally a very positive review. By the way I couldn't understand his explanation of the firewall booster feature. Can you link to info about it?

FYI download links ( including trials ) are here:

http://www.trendmicro.com/us/home/products/software/index.html

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  19. hawki

hawki Registered Member

20. jjc225

jjc225 Registered Member

Are there any known issues with the 2015 version and Office 2013? After installing I got an odd glitch, that whenever I opened a Word or PowerPoint file the scanner started. Then later I could not open either of these types of files. I did a repair of Office 2013 and so far there have been no further issues. I'm just wondering if the original difficulty could have been from installing or running Trend Micro 2015. Thanks. Other than this, it has been fantastic, and actually, I cannot directly attribute that problem to Trend Micro. The events just happened to converge at the same time.

21. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I have just uninstalled Antivirus+.

When installing it, it said it was incompatible with SuperAntisypware, and would not install unless SAS was uninstalled. There was the option to uninstall SAS directly from the AV+ installer, but it was unable to launch the uninstaller, so I uninstalled it myself (with Free Uninstall It, which I always use when uninstalling software, to find leftover files and registry keys), after which I was able to install Antivirus+. While I was never actually using SAS, I see no reason for AV+ to want it removed, as I had the free version with no real time protection, so I don't see how the two products could be incompatible.

I uninstalled AV+ because it quantines files without prompting first. Any antivirus which does not have the option to prompt for what action to take when finding a threat gets uninstalled straight away. I don't care if there is the option to exlude a file from future detection - I simply never want a file quarantined automaitcally. I was not able to find how to access the quarantine so I could restore the two items that were quarantined - I'm presuming that they were quarantined and not just deleted.

Also, I did not like the fact that there was no way to permanently disabled web filtering. This is something I never use, but unfortuantely it is always enabled when you restart Windows, meaning that if I had decided to keep using AV+, I would have had to manually disable it every time I rebooted.

I did not have it installed long enough to adequately test performance. But, when I opened my Downloads folder which has around 200 installers in it, CPU use was quite high for a while, reaching up to 40%, which is too high for my liking, as I like my antivirus software always be very light.

For the time being, I'll stay antivirus free.

22. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Although you did not have real time protection enabled SAS still loads a driver; that part is running all the time. It's not uncommon for AVs to warn about the presence of other security software and refuse to install. This is part of protecting average users from trashing their systems. I've seem what happens sometimes when multiple security apps are installed and it's very bad. Safely running multiple security apps which have resident components is no problem for the Wilders crowd, but we're not typical :) Of course SAS might not actually be a problem and you could have re-installed it afterward to see if the system ran OK.

By the way, I just looked and couldn't figure out how to access the "quarantine" either. Hopefully Mayahana can tell us how.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  23. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I wonder if there would have been a problem if SAS was reinstalled after Trend?

24. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

On the dash click on the icon that looks like a bar chart (statistics). Then you will see threats, then a link that says 'tell me more about these threats' (or something similar). Click that to access quarantine. Click on the false positive and select restore. It will restore it, and add it to exclusions, or you can delete the threat, etc.

25. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Ok, I see now how it works. The problem was I had zero threats so there wasn't anything to choose to restore, etc. Thanks!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.