Transfering Windows with True Image

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by DickDastardly, Dec 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DickDastardly

DickDastardly Registered Member

I would like to upgrade to a new PC. Currently I have my drive partitioned where only the operating system is on drive c, programs on drive d, and data on drive e, etc. Generally I create images of C & D.

I'm aware that you just can't take a working Windows hard drive and move it to a new machine and have it boot into Windows. MS has activation safe guards on that (right?). Is it possible to create an image from the old system and restore that image (windows operating system) to the new system and have Windows be happy with the outcome? In other words, get the new system to boot into a Windows that started out installed from the old system.

Any back door plan would be much appreciated.

2. rrockingb

rrockingb Registered Member

Yes that is possible if its winXP and the two systems are say as an example Nvida chip sets or both Via window will find new hardware and up date the system in many cases.

But I would recommend on boot up to do a repair installation it will save all your personal settings and load drivers but you will have to most likely re-activate....

But if it was me I would do a clean install because you will have to some time down the road with out fail.

3. rrockingb

rrockingb Registered Member

I mite add that with different chips sets my own personal results are about 50/50 if this helps you any..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.