Tracking system and app tweaks

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by newbino, Nov 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newbino

newbino Registered Member

I sometimes tweak my system and apps to personalize them further, as time goes by.

As I make a fortnightly image backup, when I occasionally reinstall it (as I am doing now, two generations ago = 1 month) I find that I am missing some tweaks etc.

How do you keep track of the changes you make, apart from writing them down?

thanks for your contribution

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  2. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

I use a spreadsheet that is kept on different partition from the operating system. It has two columns: date, and description of change.

3. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i write the changes down, then reload the last image, apply the changes and save the image.

i do that once-twice a week.

4. layman

layman Registered Member

I don't track tweaks, per se, but I do track changes using a simple script. The script produces three text files, one listing installed software, one startup entries, and one file associations. The script maintains two such sets: current and previous, and fires up a comparator so I can check what has changed since the script was last run. Whenever I find myself having to restore an image, I can compare these inventory files to determine what has changed since the image was created.

There is really nothing slick about the script. It just fires up utilities (AutoRuns, for example) that produce the information in a useful and exportable text form.

5. moontan

moontan Registered Member

to keep things as simple as possible i use portaple apps as much as i can.

i think out of the 30 programs i have 25 are portable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.