Toys for the boys

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Checkout, May 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

Well put.

2. zappa

zappa Registered Member

Hmmmm.  

Could the "editor" help me with "pregnant dogen"?

Does that mean highly polished chrome or one who can put the polish back on the chrome?

PS-Harley-Davidson has warned pregnant women from riding the hog hard.  

3. snowman

snowman Guest

Spy 1

well said indeed.....you went directly to the core..helping others is what its all about,,,,if not for that most likely I would never use the internet...or a computer....I can very easily do without both.
          as you said...walking away is an entirely differant matter......whenever I look at the beautiful smiling faces of the children...my heart breaks....the children of the world will never experience the freedom we enjoyed.......
         Pete you and I have been down that rocky road...we've seem them come and go....seen the hats change colors...an we are still here....
         both of us are using winME....in a matter of minutes we can restore the entire system...an like Checkout said..an entire "other" computer can be made within a computer.....heck I have "ghost" an never installed it......the point is we know of ways to protect ourselfs...that in itself should tell others why we stay on the internet......Javacool..Unicron..FanJ..Checkout..Mickey...Zappa......an on and on......not one of us actually need to be here......we are here because we care.  we gave thousands of hours of our own time...just to hopefully keep one newbe from making the wrong mistake.....yes thats hard to walk away from...definitely.
           that trojan that hit me last night wasn't the real problem...the trojan that hit me earlier that day wasn't the problem either....hell I keep re-format disks within arm's reach.....my other programs are on CD's...takes me less than an hour to be fully fucntional again. an thats the worse case...
         but you said it best I think...we can't stop everything.....
          right now I just need to sit back...relax...an keep on keeping on.

snowman

4. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

On this topic, here is an EXCELLENT read...

The Cult of Information : A Neo-Luddite Treatise on High Tech, Artificial Intelligence, and the True Art of Thinking
    by Theodore Roszak

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0520085841/002-0218645-3949602

AMAZON'S REVIEW:
    The title notwithstanding, Theodore Roszak is no computer hater. But in an age that idolizes intelligent machines, he stands out as a rare cautionary voice. His book makes an eloquent case for a simple thesis: digital computing, far from being a panacea, has created as many problems as it solves. For Roszak, a fair measure of the fault lies with corporate hucksterism, a credulous educational establishment, and government's desire to control information. But the deeper worry is our own utopian techno-idealism--the belief that a scientific broom can sweep away our messy problems. The author challenges such computer messianism with a detailed, common-sense look at the history of what computing has actually brought us. The trends he sees--the conflation of data with knowledge, the erosion of human-centered values, and the rise of a digital oligarchy at just about everyone else's expense--are tough to deny. If you love computers, The Cult of Information is a provocative read, but one you shouldn't dodge.

Want to read a good interview that touches on a lot of this? It's fairly old, but some good points are made.

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/3.06/saleskelly_pr.html

Snowman, I think you experiencing the effects of a lot of what the neo-Luddites are saying and have been trying to say since the digits replaced the brain.

John

5. snowman

snowman Guest

John

very interesting reading...takes some time to digest....an leaves some thoughtful moments....
            in fact..I personally know many people who feel overwhelmed by computers....some of the more brave-hearted may even admit to feeling that their world is controled by computers.....an feel all but helpless.

such is not the case with me...as far as I am awear..what man has created..man has maintained control of.   Its what man is doing to control his fellow man that disturbs me....of themself computers can only control what man programs them to control...be it a home air conditioner or a shuttle craft....an while advances have been made to cause computers to "think"....its very limited.........mankind has a "soul"..if you wish to call it...by whatever name..it can't be duplicated.....no machine can ever have this....an therefore machines will forever be inferior...never to be feared....only controled.

on the other hand....man is forever greedy and controling.....seeking to be a god..since the beginning of time......

the infancy of the internet is a breeding ground for the greedy at heart....an they in turn will bring ruin to themselfs......mankind is not ment to be controled.....mankinds ability to learn is astounding...an that "Will" to be free lives on forever.    the snakes may come up with ten thousand ways to track computer users...an then someone comes along with just one way of preventing the tracking....presently a mult-billion dollar advertisment business that sought to control mankind...is going bankrupt.........so who's really winning?

for certain I will never be a floormat for any person or thing to wipe their feet on.....an nither will mankind.
    how many in the security feed their families from the revenues of their products that prevent viruses..trojans..hacking..etc......entire families have benefited by battling the blackhats....new products were born...old products were improved.....its a rewarding field of work...but unlike the blackhats...when the smoke clears..the white hats will remain...their future assured.    an most definitely there are those who wear two hats....they too are being revealed.

it does not take alot of smarts to realize that the information being collected is not going to ever go away or be distroyed.....instead of trying to prevent the information from being collected..why not feed them completely false information until its impossible to tell whats real and what isn't...then all the information becomes useless...un-reliable...worthless....

to hell with all this running away and hiding....is that the kind of culture we want the children to experience....one of fearo_O

well as you can see...this could continue on and on.....so instead of saying more...let each person consider for themselfs.......our future as a whole.

snowman

6. snowman

snowman Guest

this thread has gone so far off topic that I feel a need to apologise......it wasn't ment to happen this way.......that trojan biting me did cause a stir  LOL

my sincere apology for off topic posts

snowman

7. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

hey mate when things go bad, things go bad! I'm not making light of your situation... But saying that bad things happen and they upset us. Hey, it happens every day to some degree! I think everyone here understands that the crap that happened to you left a bitter taste in your mouth... After all, would't it have done the same to any of us?

8. snowman

snowman Guest

Detox

thanks friend.....guess its time for me to just chill...

was planning on a fishing trip for this weekend...up in the high country...but colder weather moved in...so had to put that off..........will make up for it during the coming week...

later my friend

9. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

You say it's gone off-topic, I would say it has evolved in a very natural way - from your initial experience, to Unicron's class-A attempts to help, and one message that came through loud and clear to me from this thread, is that sometimes without actually saying it -  that we have all been right where you were at one time or another and felt the same frustrations and maybe even a touch of hopelessness in what the future brings. But, we all bounce back and pick up in the 21st century --- where we are now, whether we really like it or not.

You're a good and thoughtful man.

John
    Luv2BSecure

10. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Yup and as far as computers, etc. go we're lucky enough to have all these guys around here who can give plenty of help and do it just cause they like to! I'd help too but I'm pretty noobish on most of this stuff! Ah well I try and I also think lots of these guys like helping to solve problems like the ones that are brought up on this board!

Sooo... Group hug?? aw, come on!     :D

11. Checkout

Not until you've shaved your legs, and then the answer's still no.

12. snowman

snowman Guest

Sooo... Group hug?? aw, come on!      

hmmmmmmm.....lets just be friends.   I'm "saving" myself for that special someone.

snowman

13. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

lol!

And I've got this bad, bad cold! (Or whatever it is my grandson 'gave' me - everyone here is down with it). Pete

14. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

~looks for the toys for the gals.....checks "her" legs--------->>>>>gathers ya'll up in a huge GROUP HUG~

well, i shaved my legs....~wiggles eyebrows~ LOL

15. Checkout

16. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Hmm and I thought everyone lurved me here :-/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.