TotalProtect

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by StevieO, Jun 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jakestephenjackson

jakestephenjackson Registered Member

A nice update for you all!!!

Like I said a couple of days ago, that the beta of Element TotalProtect 2010 will be out by the end of next month, well that date has now been changed to the first week of august. It is rather different than its predecessor but improves on many things. More specifically it now includes automated backups, more thorough PC tuneups, and identity protection (anti-phishing and safe site checks). The UI has also been updated significantly!

Check out the screenshots from below. The beta will be a free test soon, and it wont expire until early 2010, so theres plenty of time to try it out.

http://www.elementsoftware.co.uk/2010screenshots/ElementTotalProtectScreenShot1.png

http://www.elementsoftware.co.uk/2010screenshots/ElementTotalProtectScreenShot2.png

http://www.elementsoftware.co.uk/2010screenshots/ElementTotalProtectScreenShot3.png

http://www.elementsoftware.co.uk/2010screenshots/ElementTotalProtectScreenShot4.png

PS: If you have developer access to Element Software, the beta is already up for grabs.

Thanks

Jake, Element Software

2. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Haha - doesn't look anything like Norton 360 at all. :D

It's like you mixed interfaces of Microsoft and Symantec. :argh:

3. jakestephenjackson

Well we got the inspiration from that. Think of this AV as a good competitor without all the extra bloat. Not bragging here but this AV is fast. Real fast. We did a scan on a standard Toshiba laptop with Vista (aero) 1.6GHz, 2GB memory and it absoulelty flew! 10 mins tops!

4. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

Hi, if you really are ONLY 19, then kudos to you for even thinking of embarking on such a complicated project as coding a 21st century AV. You're up against some tough vendors. so i know it won't be a walk in the park.

Just something i noticed as a heads up for you on here http://www.elementsoftware.co.uk/2010screenshots/ElementTotalProtectScreenShot4.png

Spelling mistake on Quarantine, it says Quarintine ! No biggy but i thought i'd let you ASAP.

Regards,

S

5. jakestephenjackson

Yup. 19 for real lolz. (LOL only got my diploma through the door yesterday!) . I know its complicated and coding AND developing user interfaces are not easy work, but I really feel that I can put these products out to be serious competitors. I know that recently people are getting sick and tired of waiting for thier old, slow bloated antiviruses to load up, I want to provide slick experiences but with minimal resource hit as possible (with 2010, it looks like its already been pulled off!)

The vendors would squash me if they had a chance, but Im really going to try and give them a run for thier money! I need as many people to know about TotalProtect as possible, so if you would be so kind to pass on your knoledge to others for me as well that would be great. Im already picking up the phone onto other companies about this, ive contacted CNET, they are ready to publish. Yeah its getting there, slowly but surely.

-Ah the common spelling mistakes. Usually alot of the UI stuff is placeholding until all the code is frozen. The UI is cleaned up later. :)

6. jakestephenjackson

Forgot to add-

Anyone who has purchased Element TotalProtect 2009 will be able to upgrade directly to Element TotalProtect 2010, for free. (Meaning the license key you recieved on purchase will also work and activate for Element TotalProtect 2010).

7. wembleyy

wembleyy Registered Member

can you explain why Element Browser v2 shows up as malware on av scan

8. jakestephenjackson

Because the browser is executable compressed, which sometimes some AVS incorrectly flag it as malware, because UPX compression has a similar signutire to that of malware.

It depends on which malware scanner is in use. ?

9. jakestephenjackson

Quick Update!

Element TotalProtect 2010 (beta) has been released for free download and testing. Its got many new features and security enchancements, so its well worth the download.

The more public website and announcement will be later next week. (You dont have me to thank for this, someone else leaked it onto the dev connection. But Im not fussed, it saved me some trouble LOL)

You can grab your copy at www.elementsoftware.co.uk/dev

Im not really fussed thats its going around on torrents right now because its a beta, and will expire early next year.

10. raven211

Could you give us some technical details on the improvements or so?

11. raven211

Forgot two important questions... Is it Windows 7 compatible and is it 64-bit compatible?

12. jakestephenjackson

Yes, we tested Element TotalProtect 2010 on Windows 7 RTM Build 7600 (yes, naughty us, but we needed the RTM to test if it works on retail Windows 7. Also works on 64bit as well)

13. raven211

Thank you - that's the information I needed on these points. ;)

14. raven211

I got lots of errors during install - too many to mention all, I even ended up just clicking through everything since I got tired of them, but one that I remember was Script Server or so. It would produce a "Send to Microsoft"-dialog - Windows' solution finder or whatever it's called.

I'm installing this on the OS compatibility that you mentioned just now and where this is happening; Windows 7 Ultimate RTM - 64-bit.

15. jakestephenjackson

Major new features-

-Completely revised antivirus scan engine- The scan engine was designed from the ground up to be the most fastest but thorough antivirus scan engine. Expect some bugs though, as ETP 2010 is not fully refined yet

-Redesigned user interface- We have designed the user interface, and made it more user friendly (It is done in the style of Norton 360, but much more helpful)

-Now includes indentity protection (still under development, and only works for IE6+ at this time)

-Now includes backup and restore features

-Automatic defragmentation service and increased tuneup tools

-More control over the ETP settings. With versions prior to 2010, users were not able to change many ETP settings, this was mainly because we wanted to make the program as easy as possible to use, but now, if you want to access more advanced settings, they are there.

-Much more increased malware detection. ETP 2010 has as much power of removing viruses and threats as the late OneCare did. We work hard each day to insure the best protection against threats. Over time the detection rate will be like any other AV on the market

-Will have planned support for Jumplists in Windows 7. Eg. right click on taskbar, you can run scan , perform backup etc. This feature did not make it into the beta but with much more development, it will be in the final release.

Please note that the UI will be updated last, the code is still bieng worked on at this stage, so think of this software more as a preview than anything else. It will expire on the 3rd Feb 2010.

16. jakestephenjackson

It would help much much more if you posted just general information on the errors that you recieved. We cannot fix the problem if we dont know what the problem is.

Script server on your computer is most probably disabled. ETP does not have the power to enable Windows Script back on, many features will be broken on the computer with it disabled (Most users DONT disable script server, and we highly recommend against it)

17. raven211

Thank you for the info.

You also wrote something which I was about to point out; "insure" - it simply doesn't sound good to my ears in this case. "Ensure" is much better wording IMO. Also, the note about "recommended actions" - it should be "there are no recommended actions (that) you should take".

18. raven211

I've only turned off Windows Search, so I don't think it's because of me, but the software installation.

I'll give the installation one more go.

19. jakestephenjackson

Meh, a mere verb error in one of the scripts. It will be fixed in RTW.

Yeah I know the installation process is a bit all over the place, It will be much quicker and less painful on the eyes once the product is finalized.

20. raven211

Grammar under PC Security; "bieng".

21. raven211

When clicking to run update through that same section (PC Security), "Xenocode Virtual Operating System" reads at the top of the window and the error-code is: "0xD" and ending with "34".

22. raven211

Grammar, Advanced settings: "the malware will be shut down".

EDIT: Two more: "Altogether" and "quarantine".

23. jakestephenjackson

Already aware of this bug. The problem goes away if you click on the Start menu shortcut or desktop shortcut and run from there. This bug is already being worked on.

24. raven211

Missing addons is also known, right?

25. jakestephenjackson

Yes, since the program is not complete, we cannot offer addons to a program that technically doesnt exist yet. Thanks for reminding me though ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.