Totally Lost (and computer illiterate)--NOW WHAT?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by michlad, Jul 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. michlad

michlad Registered Member

I guess I'll start with my main problem: As stated in subject--am mainly computer illiterate after owning coputer for 7/8 yrs:). Presently, am having problem with disabling firewall, or enabling certain programs to be enabled as "trusted" sites (online poker specifically)--I recently upgraded a site, and now cannot access site until I "enable" it with my firewall. NOW, the problem is that I am unable to locate said firewall. Had a friend install "spyware" programs a few months ago--but, don't really know how to use...right now, according to my computer , have Norton Utilities, and Ad-Aware 6(which basically, I just use to scan/fix (auto-fix)-any problems it says I have. Again, have NO IDEA what I am doing. BTW--have WIndows ME, DSL connection, if that's of any use/help. SO....what, if anything, is the simplest way to accept connection from IP address(enable IP address under firewall/FIND firewall?) OR, should just "start over"with new computer?
    Basically, I just have computer for Email, kids, online games, etc--and now it is becoming more confusing to do basically anything on my computer. well, hope someone understands ANY of this--thanks, if you do. michlad

2. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi michlad

... and welcome to Wilders :)

Do you know what firewall you are running?
    If not, check your programs under the start menu, or the system tray (next to the clock) for icon, to try and determine this. Once we know what firewall you are running, we may be able to offer suggestions from there.

Regards,

CrazyM

3. pamelajoy

pamelajoy Registered Member

Welcome to Wilders, michlad, from another newbie. When I saw the title of this thread, Totally Lost (and computer illiterate)--NOW WHAT?, I thought, "This has my name on it." I feel that way about half the time even though I actively try to learn and understand what's going on under the hood.

To see if you have Windows Firewall activated go to
    Start -> Control Panel -> Security Center

Then click on the Green On Button next to Firewall. A little paragraph will extend below it with information about what Firewall you are using. I use Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security for my virus protection and firewall, and it is listed here. When I used McAfee it was not listed there. I don't know how it handles Norton.

To see if you have another firewall installed, generally the program will have an icon on the taskbar in the lower right hand corner of your screen. Right-click on it, and choose from the menu. Generally it will have something that you will recognize as the programs features. Explore the program by clicking on everything (don't click Yes on anything escape out of it). You aren't going to break your computer by finding out what's under the hood.

How long has it been since you formatted your C drive? I have noticed that installing and playing games often messes things up. At those points in time, once every year or two, I take my computer to the repair shop and have them reformat the harddrive and replace any parts that may not be working optimally. For me, it's worth the $45 shop time to have everything running smoothly again. If you strike up a good relationship with a repair place, you can trust them to tell you when it pays to get a new computer instead of fixing an old one. Sometimes mine will fix minor problems free of charge.

(Okay, I know you computer gurus are sighing and groaning, but hey! he said he didn't know anything about computers! Sure, I know it is possible for me to reformat my C drive but I know it doesn't do me any good to have some technical explanation that I don't know how to implement.)

And I resonate with your feelings that you may have to start over with a new computer.... I think that all the time...or else toss the thing out the window and take up golf.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.