Total Uninstall question

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by King FN Kong, Oct 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. King FN Kong

King FN Kong Registered Member

im trying out total uninstall, anyway. i read this from somewhere along time ago, i cant remember where, i just copied it (was supposed to ask it here the next day but i forgot) and went offline, just wanted to know if this is how it should be done. heres a quote :

just wondering, is this how total uninstall should be used? seems a bit too "strict". thanks.

2. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

I use TU since some days.
    What i have done first, is to exlude folders from scanning which are used from real time applications, like FW, etc. Also you should close _ALL_ programs which can alter folders or files in any way before installing with TU, or exlude those files/folder from scanning.
    And i allways control the log.

Uninstall procedure:
    - Windows own Uninstall feature
    - than the leftover stuff with TU

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

1. I install all my softwares with TU.

2. I uninstall all my softwares this way (like most experienced TU-users do) :
    2a. I uninstall the software, using "Add/Remove Programs" first (the old way).
    2b. Then I uninstall the software, using TU. If there are any leftovers, I remove them.
    2c. Then I run my registry cleaner to make sure that TU removed everything. If there are any leftovers, I remove them.

I would ignore the procedure in the original post (ABCDEFG). This is CRAZY. :D

4. King FN Kong

yes it will catch anything that "moves" while logging a software being installed, download managers, real time apps, etc.. but should installing applications using Tu be done in the quote above? specifically in that order?

thanks tommy.

edit

didnt see ErikAlbert's reply.

like the guy said, if i wanted to install app c, do i have to uninstall all the apps that i installed after c? and them reinstall them? thats the way it is? thanks

5. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

@K-FN-K
    TU gets heaps of praise all over the web.

I am in same boat as you: have difficulty with concept of "sequential changes" to registry, not including any real time changes in disc contents

I actually posted in the TU forums wrt question: probably clumsily phrased and not sure I got a clear answer.
    http://www.martau.com/forum/about48.html

There is a good free uninstaller
    http://zsoft.dk/index.php?goto=software_details&prog_id=4
    It seems to work the same way, really I guess they all do, parsing reg entries into "uninstall" .reg file and tracking and reversing other changes.
    I asked a similar question there and got better answer
    http://forum.zsoft.dk/index.php/topic,56.0.html

Also important to run the software after reboot if req to track changes.

Despite my confusion, lol , lots of happy users who just follow the instructions and have good resultS
    I got a bit worried about all the little yellow ? that were in the log.

Also not certain about what might happen to any .dat or .bak or.txt files that might be generated with the installed apps ??

Obviously any running apps might need to be dectivated before uninstall
    Not sure how somrthing like PG might react
    There are threads in the TU forum about problems with Tu and FDISR ;)

HTH
    Will you let us know how you get on?

6. King FN Kong

hey LB. its ok now. just got a bit "confused" from the quote i posted above. you really dont have to do the uninstalls in that order. esp if the apps installed arent related at all.

zsoft app, never heard of it actually before but it looks promising, simple interface, easy to understand. can be a logged uninstaller like TU and ashampoo, can be a normal uninstaller too (can remove apps it didnt log). app will definitely stay in the pc. and be tested.

thanks bud for the reply.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.