Torrenting question

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by 10xSuppress, Nov 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 10xSuppress

10xSuppress Registered Member

I recently got a vpn, and want to torrent a couple things. I usually connect through the closest gateway realtive to my location. Which being US west. Should I be connecting through a foreign gateway like the Netherlands, if I am torrenting, or is my local one fine?

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Some US-based VPNs don't allow torrenting, so your account may get terminated. But, unless you're uploading popular stuff, I doubt that anyone will go after you. Non-US providers such as AirVPN and BolehVPN will be safer, if someone does go after you.

3. 10xSuppress

10xSuppress Registered Member

My VPN does allow torrenting. I looking to find out if I should be using a proxy that changes my ip address to a foreign country, or if I should be safe using a US ip.

4. marktor

marktor Registered Member

Personally if I was torrenting I would never use a USA node. If someone did come after you it makes everything alot easier to track you down. If you are routed through a foreign country it makes things way harder. I personally would try to use a VPN with servers in somewhere like Sweden or Switzerland.

5. ComputerSaysNo

ComputerSaysNo Registered Member

Don't use USA nodes. Don't use The Pirate Bay either, that place is infested with anti-copy write nodes.

6. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

My advice is controversial, but I believe very much that you should stay away from VPN providers with any variation of "torrent" in their name. It is almost a certainty, in my opinion, that at least some of these are honey pots being run for several years to later come down hard and out themselves as a government/industry "sting" operation.

`

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.