Tor + Public WiFi

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by RIPanonymous, Apr 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RIPanonymous

RIPanonymous Registered Member

Would you be completely anonymous downloading videos and music from Tor logged into public wifi? Lets say you use Tails, and don't go to any email accounts or any other site where you could give away info from a log in or email. Just TOR onion site and public wifi to a laptop. I figure any iP leak would be one from the public hotspot (no info or account needed to log in). Thoughts?

2. RIPanonymous

RIPanonymous Registered Member

Anyoneo_O Bueller??

3. DesuMaiden

DesuMaiden Registered Member

Why would you want to be completely anonymous while downloading music and videos? First of all there is no way to achieve complete anonymity on the internet.
    Secondly, pirating isn't that serious of a crime; you don't need to achieve anywhere near complete anonymity to pirate safely.

Lastly, if you plan on Bit torrenting over Tor, think again since bittorrent bypasses tor thereby revealing your real ip.

It is best to download music and videos from a vpn if you are that afraid of the music industry and hollywood coming after you.

4. caspian

caspian Registered Member

If you connect to a public wifi from a distance, use MADMAC to change your MAC and computer name, fire up a VPN that you paid for with cash and never connected to your home connection, and then fire up the TBB, I'd like to know how that is not anonymous.

You could probably get by with a lot less than that and no one would ever know who you were. If no one knows who you are, then you are anonymous. Just because you could "potential" or "theoretically" be traced doesn't mean that you will be. And if you never are, then you are anonymous.

5. happyyarou666

happyyarou666 Registered Member

good one , and for the paranoid , that dont even trust public wifi since it could be backdoored , not sure if possible but maybe , id go with a 4 hop vpn setup as per mirimirs suggestion , either vpn 1hop > vpn 2 hops > 1hop vpn or for the trully paranoid vpn|tor|vpn , mix and match as you please, the later is abit slower thou ..only abit , fyi it dont matter if the first vpn in your chain knows your real isp home ip aka the vpn you use at home , remember your not the only one using the vpn servers or for that matter tor nodes ;) , and if your really hardcore paranoid then use a VM for your anonymous activities hooked up to your vpn chain , unless ive missed something that should be as good as it gets

+1 for madmacs mac changer , even at home id use it on all my pcs no matter what, just feels safer ;)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  6. caspian

That is an amazing protocol. I'm not there yet. But hopefully some day. And if I were extra paranoid I would a computer for this that is not used for anything else. And I would carry it in a metal container. Maybe something is installed in newer computers that is able to geolocate through some type of hardware. I have heard that Lojack can locate a laptop even if it is shut down. Who knows?

7. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Not quite, but close. Absolute Software's 'Lojack For Laptops' uses the computrace agent in the bios of many, if not most, laptops. But, you need to buy the software and install it on your laptop to activate the system.
    http://www3.absolute.com/shared/faqs/l4l-faq-e.pdf

Here are the laptops with the pre-installed bios firmware that allows for use of computrace:
    http://www3.absolute.com/partners/bios-compatibility

8. caspian

They say that you have to buy it. But I sometimes wonder. And I can't help but wonder if they aren't putting some type of tracking technology in computers now that no one knows about. Or something that could be activated remotely without a person's knowledge. That may sound crazy but there seems to be an effort to gain access to everything.

9. anniew

anniew Registered Member

Or some harmless drive by downloadable malware that activates it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.