Tor, Java, and IRC.

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by anonMT, Mar 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anonMT

anonMT Registered Member

Hey there. I've referred to this topic and this one prior, but I feel my questions are a bit different.

I want to learn more about Tor, how it can make me safe and how I can make the most out of it while still being protected. One of the major problems associated with it right now is I can't browse certain websites or use certain functions - two of which are going into IRC and watching videos on YouTube.

Why watch videos on YouTube using Tor? I live in the United States, and as many know the US is the most anti-copyright infringement country in the world, save maybe China. YouTube is taking no chances and sending out region blocks on IPs on any video it can...even when the copyright claim is false.

This poses a problem even the uploader can't solve. I know I myself removed a video because it keeps getting a claim from Starz LLC. This means none of my non-international friends can't see it, and that's not fair. This applies to many other videos I want to see as well.

Tor offers a fine solution with a foreign IP address, but the java restriction and potential security compromise make it a legitimate evil. How does one remain safe watching videos on YouTube?

I'm approached with a similar problem on IRC, but that is more of my desire to remain anonymous on my channel. How do I prevent a Tor IP from getting a k-line ban?

Thanks for the help.

2. SteveTX

SteveTX Registered Member

1. YouTube: Tor will be too slow. If you must use tor, use either JanusVM or xB Machine or TorVM.

2. IRC: You can't.

3. caspian

caspian Registered Member

I download videos from youtube and google video through Xerobank VPN all the time. Some of them are 1 to 2 hour videos.

Every once in a while, I run the vidalia tor bundle (sandboxed) just to fool around and see if it has changed any. But there is no way I would consider using it for real. I would just have to go with my bare connection and screw anonymity if tor was my only option. Tor is unbelievably slow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.