TOR and Google

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by BrysonB, Jul 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrysonB

BrysonB Registered Member

I just installed the latest stable version of Vidalia. Using the Torbutton in Firefox3, I am able to use the internet without difficulty. Whenever I try to use Google, I get a page stating that my request looks like a virus and I have to type in a capcha. I am then taken to my requested search. If I click on any link, I am then taken back to the "request looks like a virus" page. I didn't have this problem a couple of months ago. Is this something new with Google? Is there any tor configurations to tweak? o_O :ouch:

**Just tried several other search engines. Tor worked with Ask and Altavista, but not with Yahoo.

2. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

Probably it has something to do with those particular Tor exit nodes. Too much traffic to Google from certain IP address and it will flag it as malicious :)

3. BrysonB

BrysonB Registered Member

Thanks lordpake! You were correct. I just tried again and went right to my search results on Google France. I just didn't have enough patience to wait (after all, what's thirty minutes or so?). It's a relief that Google and other search engines are not blocking anonymity products.

4. bonedriven

bonedriven Registered Member

More than half of my google searches are blocked by a wrong page(claiming virus or spyware) recently with tor.
    And Yahoo too by the way.

5. caspian

caspian Registered Member

Most of mine are blocked.....almost always. I don't use Tor often, but when I do, I use Yahoo as a search engine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.