TOP SECRET CRYPTO GOLD

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Snowie, Jan 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snowie

Snowie Guest

***Caution: have not tryed this software so its contents are unknown to me.....posted strickly as a novelty....****

****Encryption is the stuff of spies and paranoid kooks, a mysterious thing that governments says promotes crime, and it takes knowledge and work to use it properly. So, the question you are asking yourself right now is - why should I bother learning how to use an encryption program?

Well, have you ever written a personal e-mail to a lover with a lot of intimate details? Have you ever communicated via e-mail with a co-worker about a big deal you are working on for the company? Have you ever sent a news report from a foreign country via e-mail to your newspaper, only to have their secret police knocking on your door at midnight wanting to know why you called their leader a tin-pot dictator.

When you send an e-mail, do you know that it can be read by almost anyone that works for your ISP, the recipient's ISP, by anyone that operates an Internet router the data packets pass through, and by anyone with physical access to the telephone switching equipment in the phone company's office. Plus the telephone switching equipment has wiretaps built into it for easy access by the authorities. Protect your communications with secure encryption.

http://www.topsecretcrypto.com/

2. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

Well firstly it is called Top Secret Crypto Gold.

This reminds me of the childhood experience of having a "top secret super special fantastic top secret thing". Anything that says its "top secret security" you should be very wary of. This seems like a bad idea to me. its like humours/patronising snake oil.

I dont trust it and you should question it your self. (and the mentality of the programmers for calling it top secret and "gold" )

3. aka:snowman

aka:snowman Former Poster

TECHWG

Yhank you for sharing your insight......

Warm Regards

Snowie The Snowman

4. TNT

TNT Registered Member

My exact same thoughts. I see it also boasts a ridiculous key size (never a good sign), and has been in the Schneier's doghouse: http://www.schneier.com/crypto-gram-0308.html (definitely NEVER a good sign).

5. aka:snowman

aka:snowman Former Poster

As stated....the post was STRICKLY AS A NOVELTY.......to display what is not a good program.........an more a joke '

There are many really good encryption programs out there without a person wasting time on a bad one.......any bad one! An its good that people discuss this.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2006
  6. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

This is something that the makers may not have considered. In a secured environment the words top secret on something would make it pretty much un-usable. That is not a small consideration when you consider how most encryption software goes to the other extreme of using NSA approved...

just thought I'd throw that in - HandsOff

7. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi,
    To answer the questions:
    I do not have a lover over the internet and I do not write intimate letters.
    I do not discuss business deals in an email.
    I do not work as a journalist in countries where secret police snatch you from your bed.
    Hence - I do not need this.
    Mrk

8. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Numerous off topic\flaming posts on both sides of the aisle removed. Let's simply stick to the thread topic....TOP SECRET CRYPTO GOLD.

Any future like posts will be removed without further comment.

Edit
    Since staff decisions are not up for public discussion, one post removed. If anyone wishes to discuss this further, please feel free to send me PM or one of the other Admins.

Regards,
    Bubba

Last edited: Jan 29, 2006
  9. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

However i do see this is open source . . . but i still dont trust the simple fact of its name . . . and i forget now, but if the only thing it uses is AES then dont even bother with it. BOYCOT AES. do your own research on the sites that are hard to find that tell you about aes. i am not broadcasting or charing them, its upto you to find out what algorithms are best. Simple plain documented fact, in the public domain you can NOT get a more secure algorithm than Serpent. But the software has to be good because implimentation is as important as the strength of an algorithm.

i hear bad things about des, 3des, blowfish and AES . . others sound ok (i dont check on ones i dont use for example i could not tell you anything about RC4, ghost, skipjack, and all the rest. most of the ones i use are in drivecrypt and the one i will be using from now is Serpent, since funnily Twofish seems to be over using the cpu for ewncryptiuon since we are in the new lrw format for the block method. so if you want the best security use Serpent on drivecrypt with a jpg keyfile and choose your password very carefully higher than 50 Characters.and you can Guarentee . . 99.99999% nobody will ever crack it unless they keylog you and steal all your files, or a secret crack system can crack algorithms with systems faster than you would even dream about. i think even in "Official" investigations, the system i personally use would go secured for a great many decades unless technology leaps up with the age of Quantum PC's. <- real technology Quantum pc . . if they could have a super computer built on this principul they may be able to crack most encryption by bruteforce on the password using "ALL" the possible combonations in less than 1 year - and 1 year is giving it a good leaway. in that case we would move from conventional passwords to something else.

10. HandsOff

TECHWG-

I'm going to laugh if you say you are using a CRT!

- HandsOff

11. WonderBread

WonderBread Guest

How about a link to those "hard to find" sites about why AES is insecure? There's no evidence I can find - at all.

12. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

Yes i am using a CRT monitor . . and yes i know about tempest attacks. My threatlevel does not require me to get protection from such a sophisticated attack

13. HandsOff

Mine neither. It's just that in general I see two scenarios:

Scenario 1- Protection from your garden variety hacker. My guess is that almost any encryption will do. Hackers don't have time to waste on protected systems when there are so many unprotected ones lying around. In this scenario encryption will not be beaten. Ways will be sought to circumvent it using keyloggers, hardware devices, weak passord checking, and so on

Scenario 2- You are subject to an "official investigation." There is no protection for this.

I'm not criticisizing in any way. Just stating an opinion. BTW, when I learned about Tempest I thought, 'No way this could work'. Only to find out that it was being used successfully from distances of over a mile! Scary!

-HandsOff

14. WonderBread

WonderBread Guest

****I ask again.**** You conveniently ignored my last request....
    How about a link to those "hard to find" sites about why AES is insecure? There's no evidence I can find - at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.